Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 6, 2012, 10:04 PM   #1

Default Another Lens Test

Have had some pretty good success with bird photographs with the SMC 135-600, but it is much too heavy to carry on long hikes, and it really takes some time to get the focus and framing just right. So I've been looking for some time for a more portable long lens. Finally saved the $$ and found a used one at a good price. It works OK on the (damaged) K-M, but much better on the (just back from repair shop) K20D.

Here are a few sample photos taken in the past few days. See if you can guess what lens this is (without peeking at the EXIF or file names).

First is a quick snapshot of a Song Sparrow perched on a thorny wild rose stem. This one was purposely a bit overexposed, to show that this lens does have some CA under extreme conditions.
Attached Images

Last edited by mole; Jan 7, 2012 at 6:43 PM. Reason: (misspelling)
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 6, 2012, 10:05 PM   #2

I've really enjoyed the color and bokeh of this lens, although some reviews have been less than favorable about both these characteristics. Here are some distant views of American Robins in the top of an Eastern Red Cedar.
Attached Images

Old Jan 6, 2012, 10:07 PM   #3

Here's a closer view of one of the robins. Cedar fruits are beginning to decay, and robins seem to enjoy the slightly fermented fruit! Maybe that's why they let me get closer!
Attached Images

Old Jan 6, 2012, 10:10 PM   #4

Mockingbirds (our Tennessee State Bird) make another fine test subject for the new lens. Here's one in another cedar tree (mockingbirds are also berry eaters).
Attached Images

Old Jan 6, 2012, 10:11 PM   #5

The SMC 135-600 is so long and heavy that it requires a very sturdy tripod. But this new lens works just fine handheld, as long as there's enough light. It also can focus MUCH CLOSER than the 135-600. Here's an uncropped "up close and personal" Mockingbird shot.
Attached Images

Old Jan 6, 2012, 10:14 PM   #6

I expect to get sharper photos with this new lens on a tripod, but it sure is fun to be able to hike down the trail and just snap birds as they appear. These Yellow-Rumped Warblers just perched for a few moments. Plenty of time for a quick shot with the new lens!
Attached Images

Old Jan 6, 2012, 10:18 PM   #7

Just a few more samples...

Our park is blessed with plenty of winter waterbirds. These Coots are pretty shy, and have always been too quick for this slow old photographer. But the new lens is fast to autofocus, and long enough to get some pretty good views.
Attached Images

Old Jan 6, 2012, 10:20 PM   #8

I was even able to get a few snapshots of a pair of coots nuzzling each other!
Attached Images

Old Jan 6, 2012, 10:22 PM   #9

I will end with some views of one of our park's very patient GB Herons. This one hangs around the park marina almost every day, and is pretty easy to approach, as long as you walk slowly and avoid direct eye contact.
Attached Images

Old Jan 6, 2012, 10:25 PM   #10

Am looking forward to more birding expeditions (and maybe some mammal expeditions) with my "new toy!" Hope you enjoyed the test shots, and that you'll share your comments, critique and suggestions.

PS - can you guess which lens?
Attached Images