Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 8, 2012, 1:48 PM   #1

Default A silly..possibly embarrassing question..

OK..I feel silly asking this...Last year I went to K-r from my old K100D..and haven't really been happy with the results...so..my photo taking has subsided abit.I felt the results weren't sharp enough and always had to do alot of post editing.Where with the K100 it seemed I didn't have to do much.So last night I had the laptop hooked up to my plasma tv watching Netflix..after the movie I decided to look at some of my photos on the big screen.OMG..they looked awesome!Sharp,focused and great colour.Sooooo different from when I view them on the laptop screen !(Please don't think I am bragging about my photos..lol..just declaring how much different they appeared).Now..my inquiry is have I been duped by my little laptop screen and in reality they are sharper? If I print them off will they look great or is it just because of the better resolution of my tv?..
lisa
kashka is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 8, 2012, 2:05 PM   #2

G'day Kashka

Nice to hear from you - and it ain't bragging to ever say 'wow' to one of your images or for that matter, one of someone else's images

A laptop screen is relatively small in inches terms whereas a tv is much larger >ie- 12 inches vs 36 inches

Resolution in pixels is probably the same ... 1024 x 766 or something like it

Because the tv screen is bigger than the laptop, each & every pixel will be bigger as well. Bigger pixels [on the tv] will give a bigger visual effect .... after all that's why people use the APS sensor on their dSLR instead of the tiny sensors in the compact point 'n shooter's

However, whichever system you're looking at, it is still only a 1mpx or 1-1/2mpx screen. I would suggest that you take several images down to your local printers and ask for some 8" x 12" prints ~or even 12" x 18" for the loungeroom wall and really see what your camera is giving you

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2012, 2:13 PM   #3

Good afternoon Phil!
Thankyou for taking the time to reply....Your explanation makes perfect sense..in this case..bigger is better..lol.Anyways this revelation has rekindled my faith in carrying on in taking more photos.I will take your advice and get a few enlargements made up then I can see for myself if its me or the laptop screen..Thanks again..
lisa
Old Jan 8, 2012, 2:41 PM   #4

Hi Lisa, I also have the Kr and was only fairly happy with the sharpness, after reading a lot of posts here and some lens reviews I found our kit lenses are a lot sharper at f8 than most other apertures. I Now am much happier with sharpness when shooting in AV @ f8

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2012, 3:06 PM   #5

Hi Hans..thanks for the tip!..I will give that a try on my next shooting spree..I'll try different lenses and see if I notice a change...
Old Jan 8, 2012, 3:11 PM   #6

Worth checking that your laptop screen is running at the right resolution or there will be an additional resizing going on which will make everything look soft. Usually safest to just set the laptop screen to the highest resolution it supports.
MartinSykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2012, 6:07 PM   #7

Thanks for the tip!..but alas..it is at its best resolution..maybe time for a new one..
Old Jan 9, 2012, 10:42 AM   #8

As previously commented upon, the image size is larger than the PC/Laptop screen with the result that images will look soft.

I run a batch program to resize images, for viewing on the PC/Laptop, to fit the screen's vertical size so that they are large as possible - you'll be amazed how much better they look especially if a bit of postprocessing is applied.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 2:52 PM   #9

Lisa
I have found that each time I have gone to a higher resolution camera I have started out a little disappointed. I think it is a collection of factors:
(1) the higher resolution images are being viewed on a relatively low resolution screen so the advantage of that high resolution is lost.
(2) If we "pixel peep" the images from the higher resolution camera may look softer at 100% since the effects of lens resolution, depth of field and motion blur are now amplified.
(3) When you are accustomed to the special "look" of images from a familiar camera we may be less enthusiastic about a new camera that does not render images in the same way.

I still have a soft spot (no pun intended) for images made by my old DL, as a result it is the Pentax of choice I have with me now (I left the K20 with Annette for now). I know the K20 images are better but I still like that "look" the DL gives me.

I am very glad to hear that you are now motivated again, I am at a bit of a slump myself and I am trying to get myself going with photography again.
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses