Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 16, 2012, 6:28 PM   #11

Thanks for additional information about coatings - perhaps I'm just trying to push things too far.

It's definitely better when the lens is stopped down, here's two more examples taken from a slightly different place and from the left side of the frame. Both are 100% crops, you can see how the flare changes.

First, another f14 shot, showing some really nice starburst effect (which, as has been pointed out, is created by using a small aperture). The far left light fixture shows the flare, the next one less so, and the one on the right hardly at all. When you look at the entire frame you can see the distortion/flare on the right side of the fixture.

Here is the same scene at f4.5:

The f14 shot used a shutter speed of 30 seconds, while the f4.5 shot was taken at 2 seconds and both taken using a tripod (there's no way I can hold a 31 mm lens steady at 2 seconds, even with SR). One thing I find interesting is that it was dark enough that I couldn't see the person sitting on the pier - remember these are 100% crops.

Since the 31 is an FA lens, I assume it's considered a wide-angle. I wonder if a DA lens would have less flare - the FA lenses are larger because they are designed for a 35mm camera, while the DA lenses aren't so wouldn't be as likely to let the light bounce around as much? I'm having back problems again so am limiting what I carry - I didn't have the DA 35 macro with me when I took these pictures.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2012, 10:13 PM   #12

Harriet, I can't help with the issue your discussing. But, I can say that I love that photo. It's wonderful!

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2012, 11:22 PM   #13

A little more discovery - I'm thinking that it's not so much the fact it's wide-angle as much as it's an FA. I'm still sorting through and processing pictures I (we) took this weekend, but I discovered a couple that I took with the DA 12-24 on a different day that don't show signs of lens flare (same pier, approximately same time of day, different location.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 7:42 PM   #14

My experiences with flare agree with yours - my Pentax lenses are more flare resistant than most other brands, and the more modern (DA) lenses seem to be more flare resistant than the older (A, M, K) ones. DA 15 seems to be my most flare resistant

PS - thanks for the very interesting topic, and the great photos!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2012, 10:12 PM   #15

Thanks, mole. I'm always interested in learning about photography things, and the more I work at it, the more I run into something I don't quite understand or know how to deal with. I've heard about lens flare and have seen a completely different type of flare with an old lens that doesn't have SMC coatings, it's just that I was surprised to see this type with this particular lens.