Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 16, 2012, 11:07 AM   #1

Default Pentax K-5 Battery Rescue

I have given the K-5 several tries, but decided that the time I have for photography does not serve the camera well. The camera is a very sophisticated piece of machinery that I do not utilize fully, and so I am remaining with my m4/3 Panasonic G3 and investing in that system.

However, I have a high quality 3rd party battery from BestBatt that is almost new (just a couple of uses), and I want to give it away to any devoted K-5 user who wishes to have it, no charge. I will put it in a padded envelope (it has a plastic case) send it 1st class mail. I don't mind paying the mailing, I just hate to see something of good value going unused. This particular forum and its contributors have given me a lot of enjoyment, and so I wish to contribute to its vitality.

Name:  Battery.jpg
Views: 600
Size:  99.2 KB
MacBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 16, 2012, 11:52 AM   #2

Kind gesture MB. I'm sure there is someone on here who would benefit from these more than most. Good luck with your G3 !

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2012, 9:38 PM   #3

Having two systems only works for a very small number of people. I can certainly relate to your wanting to concentrate on the one that gives you the most pleasurable experience (both shooting and results). I'm sure that someone will really appreciate your offer (I have 4 batteries between 2 cameras and the only reason one of my spares ever gets used is that I rotate the batteries).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2012, 10:41 PM   #4

Yes, and I have grown to understand the G3 pretty well, or at least get some very nice results from it. I'm sure with more time and effort, the K-5 would produce some amazing results.

In trying out the K-5, I bought a 55-300 lens and did a very few test shots around the house, using my favorite model. This photo was a full 300mm shot of Chester. The shadowing was severe, and for fun I quickly and simply processed the JPG by lightening the shadows, adding some sharpening, and adding a little exposure, and the photo looks decent. Obviously, the photo's nothing special, just a quick shot, yet it was illustrative to me of the camera's potential -- if I gave it enough attention. (Somehow the blown highlights add to, rather than diminish, the effect of contemplation.)

Name:  Contemplating.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  129.4 KB
Old Jan 16, 2012, 11:36 PM   #5

Love the pooch! Funny you should mention the 55-300 - it's my hubby's favorite lens. This past weekend we visited the San Diego Zoo, me shooting with the K5 and him shooting with the K7 and 55-300 lens. He's not into photography much, but enjoys shooting when we are on vacation (gives him something to occupy his time when I'm lagging behind taking pictures). So I put the camera on "P" mode and he happily snaps away - often bringing home better pictures than mine, since all he thinks about is what he sees, not what particular setting the camera should be at to optimize the results or to give a particular effect. It amazes me sometimes how nicely Pentax cameras do all on their own.

One of the big advantages that the G3 has is the size and weight. Whenever I'm struggling for some reason I think fondly about my days with the DS - a smaller and lighter camera - and how much fun I had with it. Then I go to a camera store and heft one of the larger Canon and Nikon cameras and instantly become thankful for the smaller size of the K5.

I hope that all of the camera manufacturers stay successful and producing a wide variety of cameras, so that there's something to fit each of us.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2012, 6:14 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
I hope that all of the camera manufacturers stay successful and producing a wide variety of cameras, so that there's something to fit each of us.
Agree entirely! The choice of different systems both within and between formats really allows one to use the tools that best fit one's needs and styles. Travelling this summer in Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons, with my wife and daughter, the G3 allowed me to take a wealth of photographs handheld with the Panasonic 100-300 lens without them having to wait for the photographer (too much). Of course, they still say that this was my most common pose.

Name:  Photographer.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  209.7 KB
Old Jan 17, 2012, 7:45 PM   #7

How very kind of you! Sure do hope your battery has found a good home by now.
Also glad that you have settled on a camera system that works for you. Keep posting your great photos with the G3!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2012, 9:06 PM   #8

Thanks! Yes, it has just been taken and so is assured a good home.