Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 18, 2012, 1:06 PM   #11

Mole you got that King fisher again, I am envious, great shots, I have lots of problems with small birds, they always seem to see me coming and scoot. Nice series

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2012, 3:09 PM   #12

Another wonderful set Mole. Love the 1st one!
tony3dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2012, 6:58 PM   #13

MtnMan - Those Pileated Woodpeckers sure are "flighty" birds! These shots took a fair amount of slow stalking, hiding behind tree trunks while the bird was looking, and only moving while bird's attention was elsewhere.

Harriet - Grebes do indeed seem to be able to read minds, or at least anticipate shutter press! Of course, your longest lens is a 300. The 400mm lets me stay a bit farther back, which scares grebes a bit less...

Kevin - So glad you enjoyed these! Kingfisher sure is a great-looking little bird.

Hans - Not sure if it's the same Kingfisher, but was less than 1/2 mile from the last set of Kingfisher shots. Little birds are a fun challenge. I've had more success by waiting in the proper habitat, rather than trying to chase them. Am too impatient to set up and wait at a proper blind, but wearing dull colored clothes, and avoiding sudden movements both seem to help. I had another day out on the trail today, and got a few good snapshots of some small songbirds, to be posted later...

Tony - Glad you liked Mrs. Bluebird! We in East Tennessee are blessed to have plenty of bluebirds year-round. Will be posting some Mr. & Mrs. bluebird photos later this week, as time permits...
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2012, 8:23 AM   #14

Mole, I envy your being able to be out in such lovely habitat so often and being exposed to so many great bird encounters. The best part is you capture them so well with your fine photographic skills.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2012, 7:30 PM   #15

Lou - Thanks so much for your very kind words - so glad you enjoy these "feathered friends" from East Tennessee! I am indeed blessed to live in such a region so rich in nature discovery...
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2012, 1:59 AM   #16

Awesome shots, I have a soft spot for kingfishers, such beautiful birds!
Tamron Adaptall 2 - 28mm, 28-80mm, 500mm Mirror
Pentax KAF - 18-55mm WR, 28-105mm PowerZoom
Pentax K - 50mm f/2, 50mm f/1.7, 28mm f/2.2
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote