Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 17, 2012, 7:59 PM   #1

Default A few more birds with the Tokina 400

Have been very busy with park events and trail repairs (high winds, trees down, etc) lately, so only a few chances for photography. But was able to find a few spare moments to take the new Tokina 400mm out again.

Here's a female Eastern Bluebird enjoying some over-ripe Cedar berries (these berries are a real bird magnet lately...)
Attached Images

mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 17, 2012, 8:02 PM   #2

Yellow-Bellied Sapsuckers do indeed eat sap when it's running, But, like most other woodpeckers, they also peck and eat insects out of trees. (hoping to get a closer photo of this little guy, as time permits...)
Attached Images

Old Jan 17, 2012, 8:05 PM   #3

Another surprise food discovery (for me) - our biggest native woodpecker also eats berries! These are not very good photos, but they do show a Pileated Woodpecker eating Catbrier berries, and another working for insects in a dead snag.
Attached Images

Old Jan 17, 2012, 8:07 PM   #4

Water is another big attraction for our native birds these days. Here are several views of a Goldfinch bathing and drinking at the edge of the park lake.
Attached Images

Old Jan 17, 2012, 8:10 PM   #5

Speaking of water, here are a few views of one of our shier waterbirds. Pied Billed Grebes are hard (for me) to approach, but the small size and long reach of the Tokina 400 makes it a bit easier...
Attached Images

Old Jan 17, 2012, 8:12 PM   #6

Here's another shy waterbird. Our Belted Kingfishers perch far from people, and spook very easily. But they are beginning to get used to the crazy man with the long lens...
Attached Images

Old Jan 17, 2012, 8:13 PM   #7

Am still learning this lens, and hoping for more spare time to work with it. Hoping you will share your comments, critique & suggestions for improvement!
Attached Images

Old Jan 17, 2012, 8:19 PM   #8

Mole, these are all excellent! I have never been able to get close enough to a pileated woorpecker to get a photo, even if I had a 400 mm lens! They always fly off before I can get within range. Thank you for sharing.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2012, 10:17 PM   #9

Three pictures of a grebe that's actually on top of the water?!! I'm impressed. This past weekend I tried several times to get a picture of one and managed tail feathers or water mostly. I did manage to get one just as it was diving, it's kind of funny. Don't these birds read your mind and as soon as you have the lens focused on them, they are gone. Or at least that's the way it seems to me.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2012, 12:22 PM   #10

Very nice series Mole ... I really like the shot of the Belted Kingfisher !

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote