Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 1, 2012, 11:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monza76 View Post
Any bets? I would say a larger mirrorless is more likely than a full frame DSLR, what do you think?
Lou,

Supposedly there are 3 new cameras (not including any additions/updates to the Optio range) to come this year ; the K-01, a replacement for the Kr/K5 and ..... a FF above the K5. Fingers crossed for the last one !

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2012, 2:04 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogfish View Post
$750 body only
$899 with the 40xs
$999 with 3 lenses (40xs, 18-55 and 50-200).

This is going to be a very decent back-up to the K5 (but where the bloody hell is the OVF !) or travel camera.
Will have to see if us Brits get gouged with a $ = conversion as usual, but that's not too bad, as long as the IQ is the same as the K-5. Some people have speculated that it isn't weather sealed judging by the battery door, this wouldn't be a huge problem for me, but would prefer it there obviously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogfish View Post
Lou,

Supposedly there are 3 new cameras (not including any additions/updates to the Optio range) to come this year ; the K-01, a replacement for the Kr/K5 and ..... a FF above the K5. Fingers crossed for the last one !
A K-01 and a FF would be a tasty combo, best start saving lol
Tamron Adaptall 2 - 28mm, 28-80mm, 500mm Mirror
Pentax KAF - 18-55mm WR, 28-105mm PowerZoom
Pentax K - 50mm f/2, 50mm f/1.7, 28mm f/2.2
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2012, 6:56 PM   #13

In spite of some side trips into the dark side (first Minolta now Nikon) I am firmly a Pentaxian. I want mine in black with that 40mm. Although I am not a big fan of the LCD as viewfinder, I can live with it and it makes high and low angle shots much easier (the sad live-view mode on the K20D is an "emergency use only" feature).

I want one, it may just be my next Pentax (note that I did not drop the "t" from NEXT, so no pun attempted).

It is so much fun listening to the naysayers quote all that is missing from this camera while ignoring the fact that it is the first mirrorless camera with a legacy lens set that requires no adaptor. I don't care that I can't get a Leica adaptor, if I caould afford Leica lenses I would buy a Leica camera!! It is not the answer to all things photographic, no camera is, so lets accept it for what it is, a magnificent new Pentax.

First rant in months, it felt good too.
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Old Feb 2, 2012, 8:16 PM   #14

The camera has been officially announced -- full specs are here:

http://www.pentaxwebstore.com/product/11730
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2012, 10:20 PM   #15

Here is a link to a picture gallery, and prices for UK folks. http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2012/02/pen...e-k-01-camera/
Don't care for the Kodak Yellow, but the camera looks pretty nice, except there's no viewfinder, just the LCD.

brian
VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2012, 7:46 AM   #16

Might be my first new camera since the K20d-or might lower the price on the K5-either way should be interesting.
DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2012, 8:56 AM   #17

I'm interested in a minor way. The pricing isn't as bad as many had rumored, it should sell well. I love the looks of the new 40mm - very cool! We'll see how it all works out.

One of the reasons I'm less enthusiastic about actually buying one is that they also released a new lens map. And THAT has some really interesting things projected on it - a long lens I probably won't be able to afford but would love anyway, a 1.4 TC that I'm almost for-sure going to get and a new DA* in the wide-angle to short tele range that I would be very interested in. I really want a weather sealed wide-angle and tried two copies of the 16-50 before giving up that time. Hopefully this newly designed one won't have the issues the 16-50 does, so I'll wait until it comes out.

I don't think the camera is ugly at all, not crazy about the yellow but I love the white one. It looks small and functional, something I could enjoy (though I hate trying to line up a shot with an LCD).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2012, 10:47 AM   #18

The lack of an EVF and.or fold-out LCD are limitations to be sure, but there are USB, video and mini HDMI-out ports, so connecting a computer or adding a monitor is possible. Sony's excellent 5" "portable" HDMI LCD monitor (useable on the K-5) might be a bit cumbersome for a smaller camera like this, but it probably won't be long before affordable third party 3" or 3 1/2" shoe mount monitors are available (there are rather costly video camera monitors now available that might work).
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2012, 1:05 PM   #19

The K-01 seems ...with it's K-5 sensor, K mount, price, etc...that at first glance may well be a homerun for Pentax...as long as Pentax - Ricoh market this camera system well.

The other news with the intro of the K-01 is the mention of introduction of new Pentax lenses over the next two years.

As a long time Pentaxian...I'm impressed so far...with the new company....Pentax-Ricoh.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote