Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 21, 2012, 7:16 AM   #1

Default Saturday afternoon action

Hi all,

not something you see often in Melbourne, but familiar to most out there, I imagine.

Simon
Attached Images

simowills is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 21, 2012, 11:07 AM   #2

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

This must have been a strange phenomena "Down Under" where Cricket is the main stay. While the object of the game is the same (i.e. hit a ball to score runs), my understanding is that the specific rules between the two are quite different. I'd be interested to know the reaction from the local!
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2012, 2:42 PM   #3

G'day Simon

Good shooting mate - they seem pretty typical of many I have shot of local sporting events. I'm unable to locate the EXIF data so can't put together sharpness etc with lens used > I presume it's something like a 70-300 zoom in which case your results are the same as mine

The cracker-sharp stuff we see in the press is via very expensive pro lenses of 500-600mm ... but I don't want to trade in the car to buy one of them

@wingman - we aussies are prepared to give anybody a fair go - so this funny game of yours is seen here from time-to-time. That old game of cricket comes in various styles, the old & boring 5-day event called 'test cricket' and the short & spunky 1-day "20/twenty" event, then there's our aussie-rules footy of 100 minutes of almost non-stop action where we actually kick the ball around the ground - none of this rubbish of rugby where some guy picks up the ball and chucks it to someone else to stick up his jumper and run like mad towards the other end of the ground. Strange stuff Rugby

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2012, 4:23 PM   #4

Simon, Melbourne has more sports stadiums (and fine ones at that) than any other place I have visited. To see baseball pictures coming from you didn't shock me. Nice shots!

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2012, 10:01 PM   #5

Nice photos Simon. Many in the northern hemisphere are right now in the deepest depths of winter, and many of those (including me) are looking forward to baseball season beginning in the spring. Thanks for the reminder that warmer weather is coming. It's still three months away, but eventually, it will get here.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2012, 8:27 AM   #6

Nice shots Simon, you captured some good action at the just right point. I hope to get in a spring training game this year while in Florida.

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2012, 3:57 PM   #7

My thinking is with mtnman's. We have snow outside right now. It was 3 degrees F out this morning. Might be up to 31 now at 3 p.m. So looking forward to baseball season. My favorite sport.

Thanks for sharing.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2012, 6:45 PM   #8

Like the shots, though I'm not all that crazy about baseball. It does remind me that spring is still a distance away - we haven't had winter yet.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2012, 5:29 AM   #9

Hi all,

Thanks for your kind comments, It's a lovely warm summer here, dis-regarding the torrential rain and snow on the hills we has a week or so ago, so it's good to see some outdoor action.

Theses were taken with my new'ish Simga 70 - 200 at about 190 mm.

Simon
Old Jan 23, 2012, 6:09 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman View Post
This must have been a strange phenomena "Down Under" where Cricket is the main stay. While the object of the game is the same (i.e. hit a ball to score runs), my understanding is that the specific rules between the two are quite different. I'd be interested to know the reaction from the local!
Just one of a local game of Cricket from the weekend

Simon
Attached Images