Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 28, 2012, 8:29 PM   #1

Default playing with vanishing point

Here are a few of the other shots I took at the cemetery. It was difficult to get what I consider vanishing point as the main section where most of the stones are is circular.

Any c & c welcome to improving any of these photos.

Patty
Attached Images

nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 28, 2012, 8:32 PM   #2

Here are a few more. Some are the same scene, just shot from a different angle.

I'd be interested to hear what anyone thinks of any of these.
Attached Images

Old Jan 28, 2012, 8:36 PM   #3

Number 4 is quite effective.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2012, 12:43 PM   #4

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Patty, these are very nice compositions..especially the winter scape conveys a sense of calm and solitude that is very appropriate. The only suggestion I would make is to make sure that the verticals are aligned: with the pattern of repetition and symetry, even the slightes tilt in the images is likely to get magnified. For e.g. #1 looks like it has a slight lean to the right and #4 appears to be leaning to the left (not the trees in the background).

Where were these taken?

Jehan
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2012, 7:40 PM   #5

Thanks, pboeger and Jehan.

I did have a problem with the leveling. I'm pretty sure I checked to make sure they were each level using the gridding in PSE. Except for image #4. I tilted that one intentionally. The ground is slightly hilly in the entire cemetery. Kind of like rolling hills. Like the first image in the second set, where the flag pole is in the center. The flag pole is almost 100% vertical. A slight tilt (0.25 %) to the left would make it perfectly straight, but it still looks crooked due to the slope of the hilll from left to right. I had originally straightened it, but then went back and made another change and just realized I never redid the tilting.

This all was what was making it so hard to get a vanishing point. The "lines" curved with the hillls.

They were taken at the New Hampshire State Veterans Cemetery in Boscawen, NH. http://www.nhsvc.com/

Patty
Old Jan 29, 2012, 8:06 PM   #6

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Patty, Isee what you mean about #1 where the land form is a hill that rises to the right. I run into this issue with my aviation photos as well. However, I prioritize vertical leveling over horizontal leveling since my eye tends to judge level based on the former. In any event, I see your dilema.

Re. #4, I leveled it below...let me know what you think.

Jehan
Attached Images

Last edited by Wingman; Jan 29, 2012 at 8:10 PM.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2012, 7:49 PM   #7

Very nicely, respectfully done.

I agree with the difficulty in leveling hillside subjects (most of East Tennessee is hillside!)

Jehan - nice revision!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2012, 8:18 PM   #8

Jehan, It looks good straightened.

My shot was more being creative. I took a photography class a few years ago with four other people. We had someone who took photos of her kids all the time, another took photos of her yard, a young man who took photos of his girlfriend (who was the fourth person) and the girlfriend who every photo she took was tilted. It used to irk me to see her photos each week as you knew they were all going to be at an angle. I was thinking of the fallen soldiers and trying to figure out a creative way to represent that. Hence my tilting the stones like they were falling. But, your having them standing straight and tall also makes a statement.

By the way, the fifth person in the class (me) always took cloud photos. We each became known for what we photographed each week. We had one week to shoot two rolls of slide film, get it developed and back to class the following week to show our work. It was fun. Although, I felt like I was living with my camera or running around to get the film developed. I was working full time at the time. It was a 30 minute ride from my work and my home to the place to get the film developed. Had to make the trip twice each week. Once to turn in, once to pick up. It took them all day to develop. So, you couldn't sit around and wait for it.

Thanks, mole.

Patty
Old Jan 30, 2012, 10:38 PM   #9

I've tried taking some pictures of the VA cemetery that's across the street from my office. It turned out to be harder than I had expected to get a good picture - you did better than I did. Personally, I prefer the straight and tall version, even after reading why you had them tilted. One of the reasons I've always been fascinated by the military cemeteries is that the headstones are so precisely placed - perfectly aligned at any angle.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2012, 9:30 PM   #10

Thanks, Harriet. Yes, they are sometimes hard to get just right. As you can see from these shots. I love symmetrical images. I quickly looked at the Biweekly challenge earlier in the week and agree with the person who had commented on the door with handles on only one side. That would bother me. I'd probably be tempted to copy one to the other side if I were to print something like that.

I've never been to Arlington Cemetery in Virginia. But, the cemetery at West Point is another fabulous place. My photos from there aren't scanned. But, here are my photos from Fort Rosecrans in San Diego. These were taken near dusk with my film camera and scanned.

Anyway, way off topic now.

Patty
Attached Images