Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 30, 2012, 2:54 PM   #1

Default First water fall hand held, no time for second shot or tripodů.

First water fall hand held, no time for second shot or tripodů.
Attached Images

Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG Macro Autofocus
http://razzi.me/zuken

Last edited by Zuken; Jan 30, 2012 at 3:01 PM.
Zuken is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 30, 2012, 4:07 PM   #2

Any chance of the settings ? did you use an Nd filter etc ?
Old Jan 30, 2012, 6:58 PM   #3

I've never had any success with waterfall shots without a tripod. This one is very pleasing composition, and nice smooth flow. But looks a bit soft to me...
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2012, 1:53 PM   #4

Forzahibs:

Sorry the exif data was lost, but I think it was ISO 500, F/9 time don't recall like 2 or 3 sec. One thing is really important for this type of picture is, the time of the day that you take the picture. I didn't realize that until I took this one. around 6:30 or 7:00 PM

Mole:
Is not soft is blur.....

Sorry Mole I couldn't resist, yes I agreed with you on that, I will have to try with les time and more aperture or ISO. I don't really know.

What do you suggest?
Old Jan 31, 2012, 6:53 PM   #5

Zuken - I'm definitely no expert, but have taken LOTS of waterfall shots, some good, some terrible. In fact, just posted a few yesterday here:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pe...nes-falls.html

What works best for me - slow shutter speed (hence always use a tripod); if possible take photos on cloudy, damp days; or at least, pay attention to compass direction that falls face, and avoid times of direct sunlight; also usually use a polarizer, to allow slower shutter speed and to cut glare off of wet rocks.
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2012, 8:32 PM   #6

Very nice attempt for first time. Another thing I think I would have done would be to take the shot in portrait mode instead. It would elongate the falls.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2012, 11:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuken View Post
Forzahibs:

I think it was ISO 500, F/9 time don't recall like 2 or 3 sec. One thing is really important for this type of picture is, the time of the day that you take the picture. I didn't realize that until I took this one. around 6:30 or 7:00 PM

Sorry Mole I couldn't resist, yes I agreed with you on that, I will have to try with les time and more aperture or ISO. I don't really know.

What do you suggest?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mole View Post
Zuken - I'm definitely no expert, but have taken LOTS of waterfall shots, some good, some terrible. In fact, just posted a few yesterday here:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pe...nes-falls.html

What works best for me - slow shutter speed (hence always use a tripod); if possible take photos on cloudy, damp days; or at least, pay attention to compass direction that falls face, and avoid times of direct sunlight; also usually use a polarizer, to allow slower shutter speed and to cut glare off of wet rocks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forzahibs View Post
Any chance of the settings ? did you use an Nd filter etc ?

Hi guys,

I just wanted to add that you all have another weapon in your arsenal with the Kx, K20, and Kr -- Multiple Exposure Mode.

Using this allows you to take soft water shots, even on bright days without having to resort to dark ND or Polarizing Filters. A tripod is still needed though.

I'll admit to not using this technique a lot since rapids and waterfalls are not much a part of the terrain here around Chicago, but I've tried it enough to know it works -- you'll have to work out the details for your own situations.

You should find Multi-exposure in one of the Record Menu tabs. You can pick number of shots and whether or not you want exposure compensation. The way it works is that whatever a normal single exposure would be -- the camera will take the number of shots that you choose, and with exposure comp active, it will automatically decrease the exposure of each of the shots so that the composite of all the shots has an equal exposure to a single shot at your single shot camera settings. With a 9 shot multi exposure, this is essentially the equivalent of 9x the shutter speed chosen. I know it sounds counter intuitive, but it works.

An example -- Let's say that you're shooting rapids in open shade on a clear day -- Ev 12, so 1/30, f11, ISO 100 is about as slow as you can go without a lot of softening from diffraction (too small an aperture). This is obviously not slow enough for milky water, but using multi-exposure, you can take a 9 shot exposure using exposure compensation, and get the equivalent of @ 1/3, f11, ISO 100.

Try it -- you will be surprised at how bright the scene can be and you can still get that soft water look since you're essentially stacking shots where each of the component shots has the moving portion of the scene in different positions. Obviously this doesn't work well on windy days when trees and such are moving, but you'd get no better with slower shutter speeds anyway. . .

Scott

Last edited by snostorm; Jan 31, 2012 at 11:48 PM.
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2012, 8:38 AM   #8

Mole:

Yesterday I was about to reply to your Out to Jones Falls post, and tell you that "I HATE YOU", , not really, you have a really nice series and the two top of the water fall pics, are really good. Also I notice what "Patty" mean with taking it portrait, looks a lot better.

Patty:

I will try that for sure.

Scott:

What you mentioned make a lot of sense, so I will try both ways, as soon as I get a chance and post results back.

Last edited by Zuken; Feb 1, 2012 at 8:42 AM.