Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 30, 2012, 8:23 PM   #1

Default Out to Jones Falls

Had a fine little hike on the Appalachian Trail in Carter County Tennessee, out to Jones Falls and back. It's an easy stretch of the trail, not too steep, footbridges on all creek crossings, etc. But mostly through younger scrubby forests and old pine plantations. Time was short, so we did not stop for many photos. Here is an interesting fungus that seems to specialize in pines.
Attached Images

mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 30, 2012, 8:25 PM   #2

Our recent very warm, very wet weather is perfect for mosses. Here are two views of an old stone wall (part of a grist mill site). Grass on top is a non-native invasive species, so I removed it (after taking one photo). Do you prefer with or without the (dead) grasses?
Attached Images

Old Jan 30, 2012, 8:27 PM   #3

For some reason, this mossy boulder, overhung by Rhododendron branches, really appealed to me. Tried several different perspectives, but none seemed to capture what I was after. Do you like any of these?
Attached Images

Old Jan 30, 2012, 8:30 PM   #4

Of course, the main attraction of this hike is Jones Falls. It's a 100 foot high waterfall named for the Jones family of nearby Buck Mountain community. The Appalachian Trail was rerouted some years ago, so that hikers could enjoy a short side trail to the falls.

We've visited these falls several times, and they are always lovely! But not very easy to capture in a photograph - a very complex falls, and no safe place to stand at the base.

So here are several partial views. First from the front, showing most of the falls...
Attached Images

Old Jan 30, 2012, 8:31 PM   #5

Here are some views of the middle portion of Jones Falls, taken from a little path that runs up the side...
Attached Images

Old Jan 30, 2012, 8:32 PM   #6

And a look at the top of the falls - you can see some fairly recent massive boulder-falls...
Attached Images

Old Jan 30, 2012, 8:34 PM   #7

Total hike from Buck Mt Road to the falls and back is probably 5-6 miles - a nice morning walk. Hope you enjoyed the walk too, and will share your comments, critique & suggestions.
Attached Images

Old Jan 31, 2012, 10:20 PM   #8

Default Jones Falls

Beautiful water fall and fantastic photography!
zahnfee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2012, 10:26 PM   #9

Nice series - that's a very cool looking fungus.

As far as your grist mill wall - definitely like it without the invasive grass.

For your mossy boulder with the rhododendron - I'm not crazy about the second one, I think the tree gets lost in it. I think the first one is my favorite, but the last one is fanciful - makes me think of a stick person climbing down the rock. A fun picture. I like the third one, but it's not as strong as the other two (my opinion only). It looks like many of my pictures where I see two cool things and can't make up my mind which I want the picture to show, so I try to include both. While so often mine don't work at all, the third one does work reasonably well.

Your waterfall pictures are always masterful.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2012, 8:48 AM   #10

As always I loved the waterfalls but the Rhododendron branches didn't do much for me. On the stone wall I agree with Harriett I like it without the grass.

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote