Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 2, 2012, 9:17 AM   #1

Default Pentax Releases the K-01; an APS-C EVIL Camera

Pentax has just announced their second EVIL or ILC camera; the K-01. It's still quite small like the Pentax Q, however it boasts an APS-C sized image sensor (16-megapixels) and uses their K-mount lens system; so you can use all of your favorite Pentax K glass.

Check out our Pentax K-01 Preview for more details. We'll be updating it once we get a K-01 in house.
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 2, 2012, 2:31 PM   #2

Thankyou Billy

Interesting & snazzy camera
However I note no viewfinder - so for me, no EVF = no sale either ... sorry mr pentax

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2012, 6:45 PM   #3

The mere fact that so many are calling it ugly makes it more desirable. Not another mediocre retro design, instead a modern interpretation and a design that puts function ahead of fashion.

I don't want yellow though ;^)
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Old Feb 3, 2012, 8:46 AM   #4

I agree - the yellow doesn't suite me. But I sure would want the white and black one, I love that look!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2012, 9:01 PM   #5

I like the design. The 40 mm lens is incredibly thin. As far as color. I'm still undecided. I guess it will depend on my mood the day I click, proceed to checkout.
StevieRaveOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2012, 9:17 PM   #6

Although I admit to liking the retro look of the Fuji X pro 1 or the EP-1,2,3 Olympus, the fact is that retro look does not imply additional functionality. The Pentax approach of a bold design by a famous designer, tasked with keeping the full compatibility of the K-mount, is fine with me. I think the silver over black would be nicer if the flash "hump" was silver as well, as it is the black with silver accent "hump" would be my choice. As for the size, the depth is unavoidable and the Fuji and even the Olympus are still not truly pocketable cameras (unless your pocket is in a Canada Goose Expedition parka).

This could quite possibly be my treat to myself for working up here for two years.
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Last edited by Monza76; Feb 3, 2012 at 9:20 PM.
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2012, 11:24 PM   #7

I don't find the K-01 ugly at all. No, it's not beautiful or sexy... but it is kind of cool in an old, original Volkswagen Beetle kind of way. Does that make sense?

I do have some concerns... but I'll keep an open mind and wait for the reviews:

First, the camera is only bit smaller than a K-r or K-x, larger than many other mirrorless cameras. But I can forgive that because the camera will take all K-mount lenses without an adaptor.

EDIT: I don't know if anyone here has ever seen this website, but check it out. One can compare the size of virtually any camera to another with images properly scaled. So, take a look at the new K-01 versus the Q - or any other camera:

http://camerasize.com/compare/#285,190

But there's no viewfinder, which is a disappointment because I think an electronic viewfinder could have fit easily without making it any larger. I think this restricts the number of Pentax lenses that are practical on this body. Primes - pancake or not - are all fine. So are smaller zooms like the DA 18-55. But I have to wonder about framing and/or focusing at the long end of an 18-250, 60-250, 55-300 or the like while using the rear LCD. In bright sunlight, too.

Next, I hope auto-focus is at least as fast and as good as on the K-5, even when using existing K-mount lenses not designed specifically for this camera. Time will tell.

But I wish Pentax all the best with the K-01. I'm sure this is only the very beginning of an interesting future with Pentax under the wing of Ricoh. The future looks bright already.

Last edited by Biro; Feb 4, 2012 at 11:58 PM.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2012, 4:13 PM   #8

Regarding the K-01. Take a deep breathe, don't rant. Take a deep breathe, don't rant. Take a deep breathe, don't rant. Take a deep breathe, don't rant. Take a deep breathe, don't rant. Take a deep breathe, don't rant.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2012, 8:42 PM   #9

Biro, cool website - thanks for posting the link. It is interesting to see the sizes.

I could see using the K-01 with a long lens on a tripod, especially if the lens had a tripod mount. I've often used the LCD when the camera is on a tripod, even outside.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2012, 3:43 PM   #10

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Is it me, does this camera look like it would squirt water out of the front of the lens when the shutter is pressed?

Not withstanding the IQ, it looks gimmicky and hard to take seriously.

Jehan
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote