Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 5, 2012, 11:03 AM   #1

Default Harbour Shot

Had a drive up the coast today , still think my shots are dark . This one i auto-fixed

Old Feb 5, 2012, 3:44 PM   #2

It look great to me, my favorate kind of boats, sail, shot with my favorate camera

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2012, 4:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnikesch View Post
It look great to me, my favorate kind of boats, sail, shot with my favorate camera

Hans
Thanks Hans
Old Feb 5, 2012, 5:44 PM   #4

It is a nice shot. I think with a little tweaking in graphics software it could shine. I think I remember another post you said you didn't know much about post processing. I don't know if I responded or not, but there are wonderful classes at LVS Online - http://lvsonline.com/ that are not expensive, you do them online at your own pace (within the six weeks of the class) and the instructor for the PS classes (Sara Froehlich) is amazing.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2012, 7:04 PM   #5

I like it very much!

If you find that almost all of your shots are underexposed, you can always set an Ev of a +.3 or +.7 and see if that compensates correctly for your taste. My K5 tends to cheerfully blow highlights more than I like, and it has a whole lot of detail in the shadows that you can recover (see my thread about the case for no HDR) so I leave the camera pretty much full-time at an EV of -.3 and purposefully underexpose a bit. Since you want yours a little lighter, try setting a + EV for a bit.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2012, 10:19 PM   #6

Very nice shot. I agree with the above comments -- it's worth your while to learn the basics of post processing, and if your camera regularly underexposes images, it's certainly worth adjusting exposure compensation.

I know nothing about sailing but a friend who is an accomplished sailor once told me that sailing is easy -- you can learn to sail in a weekend. Then you can spend the rest of your life getting good at it. Post processing is somewhat like that. You can learn the basics of post processing by watching a few on line videos or looking over a book on the subject. Then you can decide how deeply you want to delve into the subject. I find that even if I do nothing else, a quick Levels adjustment, which takes about 15 seconds, makes a huge difference in my photos.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2012, 8:02 AM   #7

I just wonder why pics are underexposed when the camera indicates they won't be . Hopefully not a faulty camera , that is what concerns
me
Old Feb 6, 2012, 10:00 AM   #8

I shoot my Kr 1/3 stop under exposed just to prevent blowing out the highlights. It may be the way you have your metering setup. I meter Center-weighted and don't have a under exposure problem. If you are shooting multi-segment the sky may be a large part of your image and can underexpose the subject.

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2012, 11:09 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnikesch View Post
I shoot my Kr 1/3 stop under exposed just to prevent blowing out the highlights. It may be the way you have your metering setup. I meter Center-weighted and don't have a under exposure problem. If you are shooting multi-segment the sky may be a large part of your image and can underexpose the subject.

Hans
Just had a look and mine is centre weighted too
Old Feb 6, 2012, 11:51 AM   #10

Default A little (or too much) PP

Having downloaded Lightroom 4 beta & played around with it I hope you don't mind but I've applied PP to your harbour shot - although almost any graphics app would do.

I believe that historically, Pentax always tend towards underexpose which is no bad thing, as it preserves the highlights with shadow detail easliy recoverable, especially in this new version of LR - LR4 seems a lot easier to use than LR3.
Attached Images