Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 8, 2012, 9:43 AM   #1

Default Huntington Library (lots of imgs)

Last Saturday Dan and I met up with some other Pentaxians at the Huntington Library. It was the first time I've been to the Huntington in many years, and was really impressed. We had a great time and will definitely go back. They were celebrating the Chinese New Years, and there were big crowds of people there for the event.

Taken by Dan with the K7, DA 55-300. Clever fellow he is - I didn't event think about taking a picture of the entrance.

I've already posted a couple of pictures in another thread ( http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pe...se-no-hdr.html ) so I won't post those two again. The second one in that thread shows one of the buildings, the others that house the collection of art and rare books are of the same architecture.

Whenever you get a bunch of Pentaxians together, there's a large amount of sharing lenses. While I have two macro lenses, including the Viv S1 105, I just had to try someone else's DA 100WR macro. What a wonderful lens, and I love the bokeh. Did my LBA ever rise up and hit me over the head - a lens that I have no particular need for, but is it ever nice. It's appropriate that this picture is green, I think this is a case of the grass being greener on the other side.

On the other hand, my Vivitar does a very nice job:

Even Dan's 55-300 does all right for flowers, with a little cropping:

The gardens are fabulous, lots of color (for those of you freezing further north - I'll be completely jealous of you when your gardens look like this because it'll be way too hot and except for places like this, everything will be very parched). Lots of people chose to wear their own traditional clothes and take their own pictures.

I eventually made my way to the Chinese Garden, which was the center for some of the activities. I posted a picture of the entrance in this thread under the bi-weekly challenge for doors and thresholds: http://forums.steves-digicams.com/bi...se-garden.html , I loved the undulating wall, but it didn't photograph very well.

The garden was very crowded, but I managed a couple of pictures there:

I took the last one to be a silhouette, but after my success with the girl clowning for her parents, used LR4 to bring out detail in the shadow. The result is here: http://mtngal.zenfolio.com/p780316653/e14b2ef7f for anyone who's interested.

While I was off looking at flowers and gardens, Dan stayed around the upper area and got some neat pictures of some towering folks:

I also got some pictures of the martial arts demonstration along with some of the dancers (which I found very difficult to photograph for some reason).

I'm not so sure this last picture has as much impact as the actual scene had on me. As I was heading back to the entrance/exit, tired from walking through half the gardens, with over-loaded senses, I spied this palm garden. The all of the various palm shapes going up the hill, in all sorts of sizes, brought me to a complete stop.

I took more pictures that came out nicely, but have posted far too many in this thread. I didn't manage to see any of the paintings or rare books, and only half of the gardens. Need to go back and see more one of these days, see if I can do better to capture the flavor of this place better.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 8, 2012, 12:07 PM   #2

Beautiful images, mtngal! I do like the silhouette of the bonsai tree, I think it is effective. Now I'm itching to go!!

Panasonic FZ150, FZ35 and GF1; Nikonos V when underwater

~~Art is in the eye of the camera holder~~
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2012, 5:19 PM   #3

What a great and diverse series from a very interesting location! Great composition on the bridge/reflection photo. Fine textures on the diversity of Palm trees. Will agree that photographing dancers/action and outdoor audiences is difficult, but your sample photo looks fine.

(PS - Your Vivitar macro does great, no need for the other lens...)
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2012, 10:16 PM   #4

Thanks, saly and mole!

Saly - I think you would have as good a time as I did. The entry is more than either Descanso or the Arboretum, but at $20, it's still well worth it.

Mole - if I had gone into the buildings instead of staying in the gardens, you would have seen more variety. Like perhaps a Gutenberg Bible or a photo of some paintings by perhaps Gainsborough or John Constable. Or more architecture. There's way too much to see there for one morning.

I keep trying to tell myself I don't need another macro lens. I have two and lots of other options. The Viv is a very talented, sharp lens but it's bokeh can be harsh, like many macro lenses, and it's manual focus. That's not a disadvantage for 1:2 to 1:1 macro, but it would be nice for things like the leaves and the flowers to have AF. But I'm not yet ready to switch, there's too many other lenses I want first.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 5:17 AM   #5

lovely pic's Harriet, looking forward to more when it suits you.

thanks

Simon
simowills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2012, 11:00 AM   #6

Love the series, the bonsai is also my favorite. I need to get the long lens off my camera and look around more, you have inspired my to do so, thanks

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2012, 2:42 PM   #7

Hans - the bonsai and the girl with the sword were both taken with the DA*50-135. The pictures Dan took were taken with the DA 55-300. There were the two pictures taken with the macro lenses. The other 4 pictures were taken with the FA31. That lens tends to stay on my camera quite a bit, I'm finding it fun to go wider now.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 5:05 PM   #8

Very nice series, and I also really like the bonsai picture. LR4 (and you) did a nice job of bringing out the dark details. I recently got LR3 (educational version), and I'm just getting into it. Forgot to identify a location for my first import.
tsquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2012, 7:42 PM   #9

Nice ones. A little bit of everything.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2012, 8:07 PM   #10

Great shots, I vaguely remember colour (other than white and blue that is)
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses