Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 8, 2012, 5:48 PM   #1

Default An Old Coot (and friends)

Have not had a chance to stop by here in about a week or so - job responsibilities and work-related travel. But wanted to share a few more photos with my new 400mm lens. (Sure hope I'm not boring you with too many bird snapshots!)

Was down at the home park's marina recently, and noticed one of the coots that seemed bolder than usual. We have a good population of American Coots here all winter, but they usually avoid humans. This one was right on shore, enjoying the winter plant life.
Attached Images

mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 8, 2012, 5:50 PM   #2

With me only a few meters away, and busy park traffic passing frequently, this "old coot" sat down and enjoyed the grazing.
Attached Images

Old Feb 8, 2012, 5:52 PM   #3

Not too far away, a Mockingbird (our Tennessee State Bird) was soaking up some sunshine in a Privet thicket. These birds spend most of their winter days staying very close to their food, defending berries and small fruits from other hungry beaks!
Attached Images

Old Feb 8, 2012, 5:54 PM   #4

Just up the hill, at one of our park picnic areas, the Eastern Bluebirds were also enjoying the warm sunny day...
Attached Images

Old Feb 8, 2012, 5:56 PM   #5

This female Bluebird found a good-size meal! June Bug (beetle) grubs usually winter deep in the soil. But warm weather is bringing them closer to the surface. Mrs. Bluebird snatched this one up to a high perch, then "tenderized" her snack by smacking it against the tree branch numerous times before swallowing...
Attached Images

Old Feb 8, 2012, 5:58 PM   #6

And many small birds are "hanging out" at the bird feeders these warm winter days. Here's a female Cardinal and a White Throated Sparrow, waiting their turn for some sunflower seeds.
Attached Images

Old Feb 8, 2012, 6:00 PM   #7

I sure am having fun with this new/old lens! Hope you are enjoying this great season, and all the wild discoveries nearby. Thanks for any comments, critique & suggestions...
Attached Images

Old Feb 9, 2012, 6:25 AM   #8

Mole - that is a sensational series ! I would be proud with one of those never mind the whole set !!

Favs : 1st & 4th Eastern Bluebirds & the last shot. The female Cardinal (love the funky bokeh) and the White Throated Sparrow.

Gorgeous !~!~

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2012, 10:48 AM   #9

Very, very nice series Mole, small birds are a problem for me, you keep showing me how its done but I'm not a good student, thanks for sharing

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2012, 2:46 PM   #10

Sure like this series, you are having WAY too much fun with that lens. Makes me wish I could win the lottery and buy either the Sigma 500 or that new Pentax 560 lens. I really would like something longer than 300...
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote