Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 22, 2012, 10:51 PM   #11

The x-ray is interesting. Tomorrow I'll be getting an outpatient procedure at a brand new hospital. One wing is taken up by an orthopedic group that does joint replacement (among other things) and they have some display cases of various devices and history in the hospital's hall. I was early to my doctor appointment last week and looked at them. It was very interesting to see some of the options and how they have developed over the years. I expect we'll arrive early tomorrow (don't want to run into traffic problems) and perhaps I'll spend some more time looking at what they have out.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 6:42 AM   #12

Can't see the photo's from work, so will comment tonight, but be careful, your situation reminds me of my favourite movie:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rear_Window
Tamron Adaptall 2 - 28mm, 28-80mm, 500mm Mirror
Pentax KAF - 18-55mm WR, 28-105mm PowerZoom
Pentax K - 50mm f/2, 50mm f/1.7, 28mm f/2.2
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 8:04 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
The x-ray is interesting. Tomorrow I'll be getting an outpatient procedure at a brand new hospital. One wing is taken up by an orthopedic group that does joint replacement (among other things) and they have some display cases of various devices and history in the hospital's hall. I was early to my doctor appointment last week and looked at them. It was very interesting to see some of the options and how they have developed over the years. I expect we'll arrive early tomorrow (don't want to run into traffic problems) and perhaps I'll spend some more time looking at what they have out.
I had the "anterior" method-a lot less painful than "posterior". The ball is polished ceramic-with titanium socket and stem in the thigh bone. They also use a titanium ball which has caused problems with microscopic shavings. Ceramic not supposed to do that-been almost two years with no problems.
DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 10:55 AM   #14
Administrator

My wife works for a manufacturer of surgical tools and supplies (power drills, burs, screws, etc.), and some of the stories she tells are interesting.

For example, an orthopedic surgeon once called her in the middle of a surgery, somewhat panicky because of a screw that was stuck. I can imagine the patient would have been very concerned hearing that conversation, so it's a good thing for anesthesia. :-)

She didn't have a clue how to help him either (she's an inside account manager, not a subject matter expert on how to use the products). But, she found someone that was able to talk him through solving the problem.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 10:40 PM   #15

As they say "Move It Or Lose It" Get well soon.

Love the window shot, have fun shooting the mountain's moods.

Rodney

My Flickr Photos

Pentax K-5 K20D K100D
Pentax DA 55-300mm 4-5.8 ED / Pentax M 200mm F4 / Pentax Tak K 135mm 2.5 / Pentax M 100mm F4 Macro / Tamron SP AF90mm 2.8 Di Macro / Pentax M 1.7 50mm / Pentax M 2.8 28mm
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2012, 6:56 PM   #16

LOL on Rear Window. I've moved a little outside. Will post some shots.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2012, 7:55 PM   #17

Glad to hear the surgery went well. I can remember my days where the pain pills and my pillows were all I wanted not too long ago. Hang in there. Do what they tell you to do and you'll be back moving in no time.

I love the window shot.

Patty

p.s. Similar slippers to the ones I lived in for the seven months I was out on medical leave.
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2012, 9:46 PM   #18

From the deck. Mt Shasta HDR. A bird with the Tamron 18-250 at full zoom and 100 precent crop. Just testing to see what it can do. Not very good. Summit of Mount Shasta. For perspective, the long row of cliffs, called the Red Banks, is several hundred feet high. Tree in black and white. And last but not least, a terrible picture at full zoom and 100 percent crop of the top of the Mount Shasta Ski Park we can just see from the back yard. You can just make out the lift towers. I look longingly. Not this season. I had not skied before the surgery and at the last meeting with my surgeon, I asked him if I could ski seeing that any damage I did would be fixed. He said sure, if you can take the pain. Two runs and I was ready to crawl to the car. Having purchased a season pass and a locker, I estimated I paid $225 a run this year. ARRRG. Getting better fast. Thanks for your support, kind words and helpful advice.
Attached Images

pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2012, 9:58 PM   #19

Love the black and white tree, I'm doing a bunch of black and white conversions, it's great fun. I can imagine how bored you must be about now, but it's always fun to try to push your equipment to its limits, gives you a good idea of what to expect.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2012, 11:16 PM   #20

Sorry to be chiming in so late, but I'm glad the surgery went well and you are recovering. My mother had hip replacement surgery a few years ago, and she went from barely being able to walk to playing golf, and even doing brief stints on the tennis court. (She's 80!) I'm hoping you'll have plenty of chances to ski next winter. I love the shots of Mt Shasta. I have a great fondness for all the large volcanic peaks in the Cascades and the northern Sierras.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote