Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 21, 2012, 8:42 PM   #1

Default My New Hip Project

So, here I am with a new hip confined to a chair in my living room. Out of sheer broedom, I got my Kx with an 18-250 zoom tried to see how creative I could get just shooting from the chair. Thanks for your patience. It did pass the time. A pano of my shooting envrironment. An extreme zoom out the window of the mountain. An HDR of the living room. A close up of the plant and etched glass at the window. And last but not least, my current absolute best friends; reading glasses, pain pills and obvious life saver.
Attached Images

pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 21, 2012, 10:37 PM   #2

Love the glass and leaves. Also like the processing of the last one. When Dan was flat on his back with sciatica, he counted and recounted the boards of the ceiling (it's wood boards - tongue and groove perhaps?). I asked him recently if he could tell me how many knots there were in the boards but he said he hadn't gotten THAT desperate. It looks like you are using your enforced down-time much more productively. How long are you laid up for?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2012, 11:20 PM   #3

It really varies on healing time. I'm six days post op and can just barely move around in with a walker. Several months to full function. I liked the glass etching shot also. I was just zooming around the room and it came into view.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 8:33 AM   #4

just keep doing the rehab and you will be up and around in no time. A friend just had her hip replaced in Oct. 2011 and played golf this week. I also like the glass etching

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2012, 9:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pboerger View Post
So, here I am with a new hip confined to a chair in my living room. Out of sheer broedom, I got my Kx with an 18-250 zoom tried to see how creative I could get just shooting from the chair. Thanks for your patience. It did pass the time. A pano of my shooting envrironment. An extreme zoom out the window of the mountain. An HDR of the living room. A close up of the plant and etched glass at the window. And last but not least, my current absolute best friends; reading glasses, pain pills and obvious life saver.
Had my right hip replaced on 5/10/10. Doc did a great job-have about 95% of original movement. I try not to do anything stupid-no running, jumping, or carrying anything heavier than 50 lbs. Started driving about 3 weeks post-op.
Physical therapy helped a lot-trust me it does get better. Started first with crutches-then a cane.
Good luck
DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2012, 9:40 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pboerger View Post
I know it wasn't shot with a Pentax-but they gave me a CD with the X-rays
Attached Images

DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:10 AM   #7

Good to hear the op. went well PB. Time will fly past now you have something to keep you occupied

What a mountain to have on your doorstep ! No excuse for not having some fabulous sunrise/sunset shots now.

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2012, 1:36 PM   #8
Administrator

My mother (now 85 years old) had hip replacement surgery about a week and a half ago after falling and breaking her hip (and wrist, too -- just to make things interesting).

After a few days in the hospital following surgery, they transferred her to a rehabilitation facility for two weeks to try and make sure she'd learn to move around more to prevent any adhesions (which can lead to binding in joints and more pain later), and to get her muscles working better again, etc.

That's the hard part (moving around more after that type of surgery), because if you don't get some amount of exercise, adhesions and scar tissue can cause problems. So, my younger sister has been spending a lot of time with her while she's going through rehabilitation (to encourage her to move around more like they want her to do) to help her heal better, as that approach will be better for the long run.

So, do what the doc tells you. ;-)

Please keep us posted on progress and we hope you'll get back to normal again soon.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2012, 5:25 PM   #9

Thanks for the concern and information folks. It is appreciated. I knew it had to be done or I was going to wind up a cripple, but I really didn't get how invasive, and therefore painful, it would be. Patience, not my stongest suit, is required. Hope you can stand a few more living room shots.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 7:21 PM   #10

My family & I will keep you in our prayers for a speedy recovery, and for all the needed patience during the (painful) rehab...
mole is offline   Reply With Quote