Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:13 AM   #11

I also shoot for a newspaper and flash is absolutely not allowed at indoor sports. I can get decent shots with a 2.4 prime at 3200 and 6400 ISO shooting RAW in shutter priority. And yes, 2,000 is a heck of a lot shots. I shoot maybe 150.

Last edited by pboerger; Feb 22, 2012 at 11:16 AM.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:27 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by pboerger View Post
I also shoot for a newspaper and flash is absolutely not allowed at indoor sports. .
That depends on the governing body and their rules. For example, High School Sports in Ohio are governed by the Ohio High School Athletic Association (OHSAA) and flash is allowed for basketball, wrestling, swimming (after race starts). Not allowed for gymnastics. Volleyball used to be not allowed but now is. I don't know about your state, but I do know shooters in a lot of states and the notion that flash is not allowed is often an urban legend. Only thing that really matters is what state the OP shoots in and what the regulations are there. But, you're absolutely right that he needs to verify. If flash isn't allowed he absolutely needs to be shooting with a more appropriate lens than currently being used.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:38 AM   #13

For example, Pboerger, a look at the California Interscholastic Federation website indicates they allow flash/strobes for Regional and State championships. I don't have time to research in California what body governs regular season - if it's up to each school or what. But it would seem in the state you shoot in the most important indoor sports events DO allow flash/strobes.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 5:42 PM   #14

I'm astounded that flash is allowed at indoor sports anywhere. We understand that it is not only extremely distracting for athletic performance, but potentially dangerous if it blinded a player at the wrong time. Even if our schools allowed it, I would never use a flash for the above reasons. In addition, flash is very distracting for the attendees. Imagine every parent shooting continously with a flash to get a shot of their kid. It would ruin the game.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 5:57 PM   #15

Quote:
We understand that it is not only extremely distracting for athletic performance, but potentially dangerous if it blinded a player at the wrong time.
Again, the idea that it distracts the players is another urban legend. They don't notice it (of course there are exceptions). The major daily shooters use flash for basketball, I use it for wrestling and football. We've all talked to lots of athletes - it's not a problem. It's an urban legend that it distracts them.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 9:24 PM   #16

Thanks for the comments. yes I was paid for multi photos I took at this game. I will be shooting another game tomorrow and will use some flash this time to see how it turns out. The issue with using flash is that it takes longer shoot to shoot to refresh so I miss shots in between

also Jim I meant 12,800........

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2012, 10:20 PM   #17

I disagree that it is urban legend. I believe, with others, that it is distracting, to both players and audience, and dangerous.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 6:58 AM   #18

Quote:
I disagree that it is urban legend. I believe, with others, that it is distracting, to both players and audience, and dangerous.
You are entitled to your opinion. I base my opinion on talking with the actual athletes though who have experienced photographers using flash. They don't have a problem with it, so why should I? In either case, at least we've dispelled the myth that using flash for indoor sports is prohibited. In many cases, including the state you work in, it is allowed.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 8:19 AM   #19
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo 5 View Post
Thanks for the comments. yes I was paid for multi photos I took at this game. I will be shooting another game tomorrow and will use some flash this time to see how it turns out. The issue with using flash is that it takes longer shoot to shoot to refresh so I miss shots in between

also Jim I meant 12,800........

dave
You may want to try some shots both ways (with and without the flash), perhaps using something around ISO 800 for the photos with flash (assuming you're not too far away), and keeping it bumped up to ISO 12,800 for the photos without flash.

For newspaper only images, smaller sizes may not look too bad *if* you get the White Balance set for better color accuracy.

So, I'd make sure to set a Custom White Balance before the game starts, using a white target under the lights on the floor, as mentioned in my first post.

Then, store it in one of the 3 available locations that your camera has for that purpose. That way, you can easily switch back and forth from using a Custom White balance (for photos without a flash), and a Flash or Sunny White Balance Setting (for photos with the Flash).

You want to use Flash or Sunny when using the Flash (because the temperature of the light from the flash is much different than the lights overhead). But, use a Custom White Balance for Photos without a Flash.

What Focus Mode were you using for the photos? It looks like your K-5 has a dedicated switch on it's front for AF Mode (AF-S for Single Shot, C for Continuous, and M for Manual). I'd make sure to set it to C for Continuous AF.

Of course, that lens is probably a bit on the slow side for AF indoors anyway. So, it's not ideal for that kind of shooting. But, if you half press the shutter button with a focus point on your target (and you may just want to use the Center Point to make it easier so that it's not trying to lock on something else), once it achieves focus, using Continuous AF will help to keep your subject in focus during movement if you keep the shutter button "half pressed" (then pressing it down the rest of the way to shoot when ready).

Flash photos will probably look better, as JohnG suggested. But, for smaller print sizes, you may want to try some without a flash using better settings for White Balance to get a feel for how much they may improve that way (as the colors were way off on the set you posted).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 8:34 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo 5 View Post
The issue with using flash is that it takes longer shoot to shoot to refresh so I miss shots in between
Agree that is a downside. But at 2,000 shots you're taking way too many anyways. You need to do a better job of anticipation. And, think about it - how many times do you really need to take a shot of the same player dribbling? Once you have a good one, you don't need to take 40 more that all look the same. In reality, that's a much more important and useful skill you need to acquire if you wan to shoot sports - especially on deadline. even when I shoot for photo sales to parents - you typically want 100 photos or less in the final results.

With 2000 shots to look through it can be difficult to find keepers. I have to believe in those 2000 shots there were better ones than what was posted. But there's just too much volume to spot them. Makes it difficult to pull the 10 shots you're going to send to your editor.

Shooting with flash and having to do a better job of thinking, rather than spray-and-pray will help you get better results.