Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 26, 2012, 12:36 AM   #1

Default Chinese New Year - a little late

It's taken me a while to get to processing these photos. Lou (keltech), his wife and my husband and I went into Boston back in January to the Chinese New Year. Lots of colorful things to photograph. There were a lot of people and lots of noise with all the firecrackers. I'd never experienced this before. It was quite a day.

Here are a few of my photos. The rest are at http://nhmom50.zenfolio.com/chinatown
Attached Images

nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 26, 2012, 12:46 AM   #2

The second image was taken in the shadows. I was amazed at how much I could get out of the photo with my K5.

These were all taken with my K5 and the Tamron 18-250.

Patty
Old Feb 26, 2012, 9:57 AM   #3

Very nice photos! I love that third one and the colors in the last one. It is amazing how much you can recover with the K5 - I don't hesitate to take pictures in lighting I wouldn't have otherwise bothered with when shooting the K7. Looks like a fun day. I still have quite a few San Diego Zoo shots that I want to finish processing for myself.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2012, 6:49 PM   #4

Love the colors and the kids, wish the 18-250 was still avail, would have gotten it instead of my 18-135
The K5 is impressive.

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2012, 10:35 PM   #5

These photos are great Patty. Looks like it was a lots of fun. Must have been a great day.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2012, 10:29 PM   #6

Thanks all. I haven't had much opportunity to use the K5 since I got it. (Mostly my own issue.) But, every time I do go out and use it I am amazed at what I can get with it.

Yes, I don't regret having gotten the 18-250 a few years back. I know I could get better with prime lenses, but this lens is perfect for days like this one where you don't want to carry a bunch of lenses with you. Although, it is a little heavy. I did have two other lenses with me, but never changed from the 18-250.

The lions were very hard to get because they were constantly on the move. I have a video of one of the dances, but I don't think I have any software to make it uploadable to zenfolio. The file is just too large.

What do others use for video software? I've never used any before and don't even know what to look for. I use Elements 8 right now and have Lightroom 3, but don't think either will help with video.

Patty
Old Feb 27, 2012, 10:53 PM   #7

The one time I messed a bit with video I used iMovie, since it comes on a Mac. I don't think zenfolio supported video back then so I uploaded it to vimeo, should revisit that and try uploading it to zenfolio now (it was during a high school reunion). I've thought about getting better video software, but the bottom line is that I just don't think in video (if that makes sense to anyone else) and never use it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2012, 4:17 PM   #8

Nice shots, Patty. The colors and depth on the last one, especially, are great.
If you want something really simple for just basic cutting and converting video, give a look at Freemake Video Converter. I d/l it at MajorGeeks.com, and find it pretty handy. It doesn't have any transitions or editing features other than cutting, but loads pretty quickly and can convert to a lot of different formats.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2012, 10:11 PM   #9

Great & colorful photos - fine captures of all the action and excitement! Looks like a great day, and skillfully photographed as well.

Have never worked with videos, but noticed that Irfanview is supposed to handle videos. It sure is simple for photos, perhaps would be useful for videos too...
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2012, 4:06 AM   #10

Very nice shots, love the colours. And the dad in me says aren't the kids in #2 just adorable!

I suspect that if I had the 18-250 it would never leave my camera. I think the sheer convenience of the lens would, for me, outweigh the quality advantage of primes (not that I have any). Methinks Ebay might be worth a visit.

Keithw is offline   Reply With Quote