Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 2, 2012, 8:40 PM   #1

Default A Few Plateau Waterfalls

Had the chance to do some traveling across the Cumberland Plateau several times recently. Not much time to stop and enjoy the rich scenery, but did stop briefly at a few of my favorite waterfalls.

First Ozone falls: It's a 110 foot high waterfall, part of a State Natural Area very close to Interstate 40. There's no telling how many thousands of people drive past here every day, never knowing how close they are to this scenic spot. And it's a very easy hike on down to the base of the falls.

Here are several views - different compositions and shutter speeds for different effects. Which do you prefer?
Attached Images

mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 2, 2012, 8:47 PM   #2

Several miles down the road is another State Natural Area - Burgess Falls. Here the Falling Water River drops about 250 feet total, over three massive waterfalls. The lower falls, at about 130 feet, is the best known of the three. At times of good flow (like lately), you can't get close to the falls without getting a complete soaking! So these are some more distant (drier) views! First two from the overlook above the falls, the rest at the base but not too close.
Any preferences?
Attached Images

Old Mar 2, 2012, 8:49 PM   #3

And here's a view from the side - taken from the steps along the side of the falls.
Attached Images

Old Mar 2, 2012, 8:51 PM   #4

Middle Falls are not so high, but a uniquely wide and powerful falls. There's a nice overlook where hikers can stay dry while watching the power of these falls.
Attached Images

Old Mar 2, 2012, 8:51 PM   #5

What a delightful treasure, and located so close to a road, no less! All photos are wonderful, but the fourth is my favorite. I love the waterfall, the pool, and the riffles flowing from the pool.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2012, 8:52 PM   #6

Upper Falls are right near the start of the trail, easy to get to, but perhaps the least photogenic...
Attached Images

Old Mar 2, 2012, 8:55 PM   #7

There are many other rich landscapes and lovely big waterfalls, as well as plenty of tiny falls and wet trickles in hidden corners of the Cumberland Plateau. Sure hope you enjoyed these wet views, and that you will have a chance to explore this fine region for yourself someday soon!

Thanks for any comments & critique.
Attached Images

Old Mar 2, 2012, 8:56 PM   #8

MtnMan - You're too fast for me! I almost missed your very kind words while in the midst of posting. Thanks for your helpful feedback!
Old Mar 2, 2012, 10:34 PM   #9

More lovely waterfalls. You have such pretty areas around you. I need to go find some of our little waterfalls this summer.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2012, 7:43 AM   #10

Great shots mole, I like the 3 rd and the best for me is the 2nd from last, it looks much larger than it is,

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote