Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 4, 2012, 10:41 AM   #1

Default LBA for Camera Bodies?

Hi all

I know a lot of people have brought this up before. I am having a hard time convincing myself not to buy the K-5. I have the K-x and some decent lenses. But I have not been able to get those sharp and color popping shots others have gotten with the K-x. Whether it is the K-x or the operator , I'm going to go with it is operator failure. I don't seem to get the focus right I,m thinking the K-5 has better AF. I have been using the 18-135 lens lately instead of the kit lens. Most of my shots have been indoors with average lighting. So the other thing I was looking at was the better ISO performance of the K-5. The Price has come down on the K-5 and that is why I.m looking. But I also shoot with the advanced point and shoot typically in Aperture or shutter priority mode. I have heard a lot from those that have both the K-x and the K-5 and either prefer the K-5 or didn't look back at the K-x and just moved on. I have written here before and have received some great help and suggestions and really have not given a lot of those suggestions a try yet. So I keep coming back to the K-5 due to the price drop and some really great support of the K-5 by those on this board.

Thanks for listening
Mark
Panasonic FZ-100, FZ-150, LX5, LX7, Pentax K-x & K-5, Bower Flash, FA-50 1.7,FA-100 2.8, FA-135 2.8, DA-35 2.4,DA-18-135 3.5,DA Limited 15 4, DA Limited 70 2.4, DAL 18-55, DAL 55-300, Pentax 1.7 Teleconverter, Sigma 70-200 2.8
popellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 4, 2012, 12:47 PM   #2

I have had AF issues with both my K2000 and Kr. 1st thing I had to adjust the focus fine adjustment on the Kr to +3 using the in camera adjustment. I had to adjust the K2000 using a hack (link below) to +17. Then I find the sharpest images shooting AV @ f8. I almost gave up on the K2000 and sold it before the adjustment.

Link for Kx focus adjustment http://ricehigh.blogspot.com/2010/01...djustment.html

Good Luck, Both the K5 and Kr have in camera focus adjustment, the K5 can be adjusted per lens, the Kr is one global adjustment

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:

Last edited by hnikesch; Mar 4, 2012 at 12:49 PM.
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2012, 12:53 PM   #3

I found the best way to adjust the focus is using the in camera image comparison shooting the same image using 2 adjustment settings, once if found if I needed to go + or - I kept going until i got the best focus. I used center focus point setting for the adjustment. I couldn't believe the improvement.

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2012, 1:54 PM   #4

Those sharp, eye popping color pictures mostly owe more to post processing than either the camera or operator. Try bumping up the contrast, saturation, and sharpening in camera, and take some test shots. Might be enough to get you what you want. Or, just go nuts with your editing program.
It seems a bit strange to me, but there seem to be a lot of people who will post process the heck out of a picture, the swear on a stack of bibles that it is straight out of the camera. Be very skeptical.
I know what you mean about new camera lust though. I used my old SRT-201 for 30 years or so, then got my first digital. Now, I already have another, and the first one still works. And I am thinking hard about the K-5, myself, even with a perfectly functional *ist-D. Will it never stop?

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2012, 2:57 PM   #5

Well, I now own the K100D, K20D and K5. All three work just fine. Although, I have been impressed with the progression of images in each. My K100 was bought the day after it was released. I'd been waiting for it so I could leave on vacation the next day.

The one thing I had missed when I went from p&s to dslr was video. Now that the K5 has it, I have no desire to buy anything new for a long while. The only thing I would want in a camera now would be smaller and lighter. But, know that compromises things. So......

I would say play around with adjusting your focusing like Hans said. Take some photos outdoors in the sunlight and see if you get some nice crisp images. Use a tripod if you have one so you know it's not an unsteady hand making them not clear. I don't know anything about the K-x and low light situations. I do know the K5 is great in low light.

And, Brian's right. A lot of the images here are post processed. So, make sure you take that into consideration.

Post some of your pictures here with your exif data and someone might be able to help you. It might just be you're using the wrong settings for the situation.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2012, 7:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTphotog View Post
It seems a bit strange to me, but there seem to be a lot of people who will post process the heck out of a picture, the swear on a stack of bibles that it is straight out of the camera.
Hey, the camera's now have a lot of editing options built in, so technically tweaking the crap out of an image this way is "straight out of the camera" lol
Tamron Adaptall 2 - 28mm, 28-80mm, 500mm Mirror
Pentax KAF - 18-55mm WR, 28-105mm PowerZoom
Pentax K - 50mm f/2, 50mm f/1.7, 28mm f/2.2
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2012, 8:48 AM   #7

There are a couple of different things that come to my mind as I read your post.

Color pop - it's a whole lot easier to add saturation to your pictures later and a very difficult to remove it if you get too much in the camera (over-saturation can take out detail, so I will always choose to add it afterward, deciding myself if I want to sacrifice some fine detail for some extra color). If that were the main thing you were missing, I would say keep the Kx and either change your post processing/get different processing software.

As far as the focus issues - that's a different story. I used to have a K10 with focus issues. It was the most frustrating thing and it took me forever to figure out the problem was the camera and not me (I was shooting a lot with manual focus lenses and changing back and forth all the time, it didn't occur to me that the problem was the camera). I was never so glad to get rid of a camera as I was that one (the person who bought it from me knew about the issue and only paid shipping. Once I realized how much better I did with the K20 I should have re-embursed him the cost of the transport as a thank-you for taking it off my hands!).

I think you can make an adjustment with the Kx can't you, though as I recall, it would be either an on-off thing, you can't adjust for differences with lenses. That would be a definite advantage to the K5 where you can adjust for different lenses. Since I have one lens that seriously front focuses and two others that back-focus on my K5, it is a huge advantage for me. However, it also takes time and experimenting to get it all adjusted correctly.

You also say that you aren't using the kit lens very much any more, preferring the 18-135. My kit lens (version 1 that came with a DS) was fine on the K100 and K10. But I quit using it except occasionally with the K100 once I got the K20 and compared it to the DA*50-135 - the kit lens definitely has some limitations and once you get a better lens and can see the difference, it's hard to go back to the lesser lens. Getting the K5 would probably only make it worse as the K5's sensor will show up its flaws even more.

If your indoor shots aren't sharp but your outdoor shots are, it could be some camera shake issues. While I find that the SR is useful, it does have its limitations and I'm not at all as steady as I once was. And the harder I try to hold still the more I stiffen up and the more shake I introduce.

Finally, the K5 is a wonderful camera, I love mine. It was a significant improvement over the K7 that I'm very glad I got it. My opinion is that you wouldn't go wrong with getting one if you have the extra money. Just be aware that it won't solve all of your issues and there's a distinct learning curve when it comes to getting the most out of your lenses. I think before you replace the camera you should see if you can adjust the focus on the Kx to match your lenses and perhaps download some trial versions of other software options and play with them (if you use PSE, try the Topaz Lab's plug-ins for it. They are reasonably priced and I use them all the time).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2012, 7:20 PM   #8

I agree that if your camera body has focus problems you should consider replacing it. But if the lack of sharpness is due to motion blur I think it's worth continuing to climb the learning curve with your Kx. Regarding the "pop" you see with many images posted here and on other forums, I agree that many (most?) have been tweaked in post processing. And there's nothing wrong with that. Here's an extreme example -- a photo I took two summers ago of the Swallowtail Lighthouse, while my wife and I were visiting Grand Manan Island. This image is straight out of the camera. In all fairness I should say that I had the contrast set low on my K20D so the image straight out of the camera looks flatter than it would if the camera settings had been normal.
Attached Images

mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2012, 7:22 PM   #9

Here is the same photo, after just a few adjustments in post processing -- just a very quick Levels adjustment, if I remember correctly. I think this shows what a big difference in image quality can result from some very simple post processing adjustments.
Attached Images

mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2012, 6:57 PM   #10

Mark - I don't own either the K-X or the K-5. But, about a year ago, moved from the K-M to the K-20D. Photo quality went down at first, until I learned the complexities of the new camera. Not sure if your experience will be the same, but perhaps would be best to really master the K-X before moving up the K-5. From what I recall of the last photos you posted, seemed like the biggest problem was the very slow shutter speed without use of tripod. It's tough to get sharp photos under these conditions.
mole is offline   Reply With Quote