Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 5, 2012, 1:31 PM   #1

Default Birds Of Africa

I did a lot of bird photography as the African birds were so beautiful. On our first day in Africa in Arusha, Tanzania we went on a 2 hour guided canoe trip on Lake Dilute. The guide was knowledgeable and worked hard to find as many species as he could. I have never been able to get near a Kingfisher at home but these birds were not the least bit skittish.

Shooting from a canoe moving in the water with no back support and nowhere to brace yourself proved quite a challenge. Many missed shots but many keepers never the less.

I also did another guided walk at the Mt. Kenya Safari Club that was quite rewarding. The third walk was with an educated Maasai Warrior in Amboselli NP. He was exceptional and found birds that I never would have seen. His knowledge of the birds, their habitat and habits was incredible.

All the bird shots were with the 150-500mm and the K-5.

African Wood Owl

Pied Kingfisher

Malachite Kingfisher

African Fish Eagle

Grey Crowned Crane

Cape Glossy Starling

Hooded Vulture

Secretary bird

I have not yet identified this one. Any help appreciated

See all my Africa bird pictures here:http://keltech.zenfolio.com/p693949823

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 5, 2012, 2:46 PM   #2

Very nice Lou, I am envious, of the 500, your trip and the shots, hope to see more, nicely done

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2012, 6:44 PM   #3

Lou, these are amazing shots. All are excellent, but the Malachite Kingfisher and the Secretary Bird are my favorites. I can't wait to see more of your pics!
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2012, 12:59 PM   #4

Love looking at these Lou - and agree with the Secretary Bird standing out. Now I'm off to Zenfolio to look at all the other shots (there's a lot of them) !

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2012, 7:03 PM   #5

Amazing diversity of birds, and great photos too! Great colors and poses in all, especially nice detail in the Eagle, the Secretary Bird, and the last species.
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2012, 9:21 PM   #6

That secretary bird is sure one odd-looking bird, love the shot. But all of them are very good, especially considering the conditions. You are right that the birds are fascinating.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2012, 6:29 AM   #7

Mole and Mtngal - Thanks for the nice comments. I saw a lot of different bird species in a short period of time but in the scheme of East African birds I photographed only a handful. I saw a lot more but was not quick enough to capture them with the camera.

Lou
Old Mar 10, 2012, 7:58 AM   #8

Great photos, interesting subjects. Wood owl looks strange to me with all dark eyes. Resembles our burrowing owls, with exception of eyes.

Ed
Attached Images

snooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2012, 1:09 PM   #9

Ed, the feather detail is similar but the African Wood Owl is larger (About 14 In tall) and less rust colored. The one I photographed was high in a tree and in deep shade.

Lou
Old Mar 10, 2012, 5:49 PM   #10

Amazing, knowing that some of these were quite a ways from you and sometimes moving. Another fine assortment of African animals. You did have quite the adventure, didn't you.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote