Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 5, 2012, 7:58 PM   #1

Default Currently, temporarily, not Pentaxian

Okay, let me explain. I am still a Pentax owner and shooter but I have a strange current status. I just sold my DL with the 18-55 and 50-200mm kit lenses as well as the F 100-300mm. I still have the two WR kit lenses and an FA-J 75-300mm so no real loss here, but now for the reason for my title.

I do not have a Pentax with me, and will not until I arrive home in July! You may ask why... well... I have kept two Fuji S2Pro bodies with three Nikkor lenses here with me in Tuk and I have ordered an Olympus E-PL1 for an excellent clearance price. My plan is to get adapters for my Nikon and Pentax lenses so that I can have a smaller camera that can use all the lenses that I own (I have neglected to mention that I have everything from Pentax screw mount to Yashica/Contax to Minolta FD to Minolta Maxxum to some I am not even sure of).

My rationale is actually quite simple. I am a Pentaxian but when someone hands you a Fuji S2Pro with lens for nothing and someone else offers you an f2.8 80-200mm Nikon lens for $500 you can see why I jumped at the chance. I purchased a 50mm f1.8 and a second Fuji (cheap) and that is my entire Nikon kit. I am happy with the results and will continue to enjoy it but any future lens purchases will be for my Pentax (I still have mtngal's K20D and my wife Annette has the excellent K100D Super). As for the Olympus, it was $400 LESS than the upcoming K-01 and had the option of adapting all of those lenses (I may start collecting DA limited lenses).

In other words, no Pentax for four months but a bright Pentaxian future awaits.

Just forgive me if I don't post any images for a while.
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Old Mar 5, 2012, 9:28 PM   #2

You are forgiven Ira.

In January 2011 in this very forum, I asked for and received forgiveness for straying from the Pentax fold.

I had gone out and bought a new Canon G 12 for similar, if not exact reasons that you have bought your Olympus.

I wanted a smaller body then a DSLR, that I could easily carry. After analyzing my needs vs camera equipment....I jumped ship for one instant anyways and bought the Canon G 12. It works very well as a daily carry all. I have also bought a Canon 430 11 flash...great little combination.

However in November, 2011, I bought my Pentax K-5, which joins my K10D and KM on serious photo outings.

In the film days...my standard system was Pentax....both M 42 screw mount (Pentax S1a + ES 11) and K mount (K1000)....plus a number of Takumar and Pentax lenses and a screw mount- K adapter...or was that a K - M 42 adapter.

But in the '80's I bought a Leica Rangefinder (1952 11f) and a Mamiya medium format system...so I jumped ship then too.

I've never been a one brand loyalist....although Pentax has always been my main equipment.

Les

Last edited by lesmore49; Mar 5, 2012 at 9:30 PM.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2012, 12:12 AM   #3

I too have looked at the low, low prices for the EPL1. I will interested in how your Pentax lenses work with an adaptor. Please post your experience and shots. Thanks.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2012, 6:25 AM   #4

No worries, Ira. While Pentax is my main photo kit, I derive great joy from my micro four-thirds kit. Traditionalists may poo-poo what I'm saying, but the future is mirrorless. We might as well get our collective foot in the door.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2012, 7:57 AM   #5

I can understand, I started with Pentax in the 70's and when Digital came out moved to Canon P&S. I still have 2 Canon's and they were my most used cameras on a daily basis until I got my 18-135 lens for my Kr. I used to bring my Kr with the 55-300 and a P&S but lately just bring Kr w/ 18-135. Until I read your post I didn't realize the price drop on the EPL1 that is a temptation with the low cost of adapters.

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 9:05 AM   #6

Thanks for the comments. My main film system was Pentax from around 1980. In the late 1990s I got some Minolta Maxxum equipment which was my first foray into AF (about 10 years behind the times). As digital SLRs started to appear at reasonable prices I waited for Minolta but things went wrong there during the SONY transition and my wife bought me a Pentax. Since then Pentax is (and will be) my main system.

I very much enjoy my Fuji/Nikon gear and it will get lots of use BUT it will not be a growth path, just a sideline. As for the Olympus, time will tell but for the present it is the adaptability off the camera that interests me. In recent years I have been given a number of obsolete systems by friends who have gone digital (mostly with Canon since it is available at WalMart here). These old film lenses can now be fun accessories for the Oly.

A Leica M9 would be my current "dream" system since it currently fits my shooting style, however by next year that may have changed and a Pentax D645 may be my dream choice. What I mean is that my shooting style and subject choice is constantly changing and sometimes the camera must change with it.
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Old Mar 7, 2012, 9:30 AM   #7

Note that your dream camera would be a larger format...either full frame Leica or medium format Pentax.

I heard the siren song of larger format calling me in the mid 80's and as a result bought my Mamiya medium format film system...a TLR 220 Pro F body, with a 80mm normal, 55 mm wide angle and 180mm telephoto.

The large negative (6 X 6) was lovely to work with...cropping made little difference to the quality of the picture.

I still have it, but don't use it nearly as much....but medium format is a great format to work in.

Les
Old Mar 7, 2012, 9:50 AM   #8

Yes Les, even though 4/3 is a smaller sensor format I would really like to go with larger. If Pentax ever builds a full frame model I will consider it but honestly this would certainly be out of my price range and onto my "dream" list. Right now used full-frame Canons and Nikons (and even Sonys) are selling for more than a new K5 (and most are high-mileage cameras which have seen heavy professional work). When you look at the increase in IQ over the price it really doesn't work for someone on my budget.

I have used medium format film cameras, I owned a very nice Yashica D TLR with the newer Yashinon lens. The results from that camera were fantastic so I clearly understand the advantages of a larger piece of recording real estate.

If Pentax could price a full frame SLR as aggressively as they have priced the medium format model we could see a $1600 full frame camera and a stampede to Pentax dealers.

Thanks for the discussion Les.

Old Mar 7, 2012, 12:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monza76 View Post
Yes Les, even though 4/3 is a smaller sensor format I would really like to go with larger. If Pentax ever builds a full frame model I will consider it but honestly this would certainly be out of my price range and onto my "dream" list.Same here....budget wise...full framers like the new D800 and 5D Mk 111, plus lenses....are way over budget for me and many others... but if I win the lottery.

Right now used full-frame Canons and Nikons (and even Sonys) are selling for more than a new K5 (and most are high-mileage cameras which have seen heavy professional work). When you look at the increase in IQ over the price it really doesn't work for someone on my budget.

I have used medium format film cameras, I owned a very nice Yashica D TLR with the newer Yashinon lens. The results from that camera were fantastic so I clearly understand the advantages of a larger piece of recording real estate. Great memories, I bought one of those, before my Mamiya...great little TLR the Yashica.

If Pentax could price a full frame SLR as aggressively as they have priced the medium format model we could see a $1600 full frame camera and a stampede to Pentax dealers.

Thanks for the discussion Les.
I would love it if Pentax brought out a full frame DSLR for around $ 1600 CAD. I might be short of lenses though...think only my 50 F1.4, maybe my 50 Macro would work with a FF.

However I'm still impressed with my cropped sensor Pentax DSLR's....took my K10D out to the car ice races on the weekend and I was happy with the way that the pix turned out from this 5 year old camera.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 1:35 PM   #10

Les, I have a K20D that I am very happy with so full frame dreams are just that... dreams. I am hoping that the Olympus will work well with my old manual focus lenses (I have read many reports saying it is easier to manually focus on this LCD than it is through an optical viewfinder since most modern DSLRs use screens that are optimized for brightness and do not show focus well with most lenses). I have a handful of old M series lenses that I don't use but would make interesting experiments on the Oly. If it turns out to be correct I will have a whole new kit.