Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 11, 2012, 11:22 AM   #1

Default K-5 question

Im sorry to keep asking questions on the subject. But I keep feeling better equipment yield better results. (once you learn to use the better equipment) I have the K-x and keep looking to the K-5. I shoot a lot of inside pictures. Bar type scenes dark not really well lit and homes or banquet halls. I bought the K-x for low light as I like to shoot without a flash and from a distance as to capture candid shots. I'm sure you know from my other post I'm new to this and have not even mastered the K-x. My question is the K-5 has a better High Iso rating of 1162 vs 811.(seems quite a bit of difference) I understand the Shake reduction is suppose to be better. The Dynamic range is 14.1 vs 12.5 not sure if that is a lot or not. The view finder I find hard to see in daylight with the K-x. Would the better viewfinder and shake reduction and higher ISO range yield better quality shots over the K-x without the use of flash in low light situations? (Hand Held) Is the use of flash inevitable for hand held shots in these conditions.

Thanks for your opinions
Panasonic FZ-100, FZ-150, LX5, LX7, Pentax K-x & K-5, Bower Flash, FA-50 1.7,FA-100 2.8, FA-135 2.8, DA-35 2.4,DA-18-135 3.5,DA Limited 15 4, DA Limited 70 2.4, DAL 18-55, DAL 55-300, Pentax 1.7 Teleconverter, Sigma 70-200 2.8
popellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 11, 2012, 12:10 PM   #2

Short answer - Yes, a little. The ISO difference is actually not that much, that is somewhere around 1/2 stop, the DR will only help in the case of expanding the range of colours (in distinguishing the range in the darkest and lightest areas of a shot). The VF is much improved on the K5 so would help a lot in that area.

I shoot a lot of ambient light shots and rarely use flash if I can get away with shooting without it. But by far the biggest difference would come from the lens you are using. You don't say what lenses you are using in those specific circumstances but of course your FA 50/1.7 will perform the best. You could get a f1.4 lens or even a f1.2 ... but then you will have trouble with very low DoF. I don't think a faster lens that your f1.7 will help you in those situations, you just have to face up to the fact that if you want to retain a certain DoF then in very low light a flash is the only solution.

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2012, 8:05 PM   #3

thank you frogfish for your response. So from what you are telling me the Image quality, and low light capabilities are not that much different. At least from a viewing perspective. Prints up to 8 x10. It is the build quality and the extra buttons that make up the basic differences in the camera.

Thanks again
Mark
Panasonic FZ-100, FZ-150, LX5, LX7, Pentax K-x & K-5, Bower Flash, FA-50 1.7,FA-100 2.8, FA-135 2.8, DA-35 2.4,DA-18-135 3.5,DA Limited 15 4, DA Limited 70 2.4, DAL 18-55, DAL 55-300, Pentax 1.7 Teleconverter, Sigma 70-200 2.8
Old Mar 11, 2012, 10:25 PM   #4

I love my K-5 and am amazed at what I can do t ISO6400 and ISO12,800. I moved up from the Fuji HS10 and HS20 cameras to this camera and its way way better in terms of speed, frames per second and low light shooting (although the HS20 was a very fine camera). Also the K-5 is a very solid camera with plenty of weather seals and their are some WR leans for it as well.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2012, 11:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by popellis View Post
thank you frogfish for your response. So from what you are telling me the Image quality, and low light capabilities are not that much different. At least from a viewing perspective. Prints up to 8 x10. It is the build quality and the extra buttons that make up the basic differences in the camera.

Thanks again
Mark
At 8x10 you probably won't notice much difference from a P&S unless you crop a lot ! Your Kx is perfectly fine for that, and even much larger, sizes.

If you shoot a lot of landscape (or need some of the other improved features of the K5) then I may say you'd be better off with a K5 for the dynamic range but to be honest for what you are shooting the lenses are going to be more important as the Kx is still an excellent low light camera.

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 1:04 PM   #6

The viewfinder on the K5 is going to be an improvement, but not that great a difference. The brightness of the viewfinder image is mostly dependent on the lens used. For the brightest image, you need a fast lens. If you are using the LCD, this isn't going to matter as much, as you can change the display brightness. Of course, in low light, holding the camera up in front of your face is going to increase shaking, so there is a tradeoff there, as there is in just about everything.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 1:57 PM   #7

Glad that Brian spoke up about the viewfinder. I don't have a Kx, but I do have the K100 with it's pentimirror viewfinder. I used to carry it and a K10, with different lenses mounted on the two cameras. The only time I noticed a huge difference with the viewfinder was when I had a slow lens like the kit lens on the K100 and a fast lens, like the DA*50-135 on the K10. Otherwise they aren't all THAT different. I find the 100% coverage with the K5 a plus, and for some reason it's flatter matte finish makes it easier to "see" the focus with manual lenses, but otherwise it's not a big enough difference for me to choose one over the other. I wondered if I were missing something, so wasn't sure my experience really applied.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2012, 9:42 AM   #8

Well I order a new K-5 and then cancelled it.

The K-5 Has been tugging at me for awhile and I thought since the price was coming down this is where I wanted to go. But to be honest I'm struggling with the K-x. I used my DA 70 limited the other day outside and was impressed with some of the shots from it. So I'm thinking I need more practice .
I thought the DSLR would let me get a little more artsy, Let me get more candid shot without flash, I like ambient light shots better than flash shots. I just can't justify the expense in moving up to a better Camera body, at my skill level.
Maybe I made a mistake buying the K-x instead of the K-r, at the time but I was not sure I really wanted to get into DSLR at the time.
I also have some bridge Cameras that I like because they are smaller Lighter and have very decent images for what I do with them.
I really wanted to thank you all for you honest answers, and I will keep plugging away with The K-x and hopefully get better at this hobbie and maybe produce some stunning shots someday.

Well I am going back to "Show us your best K-X shots" for some more inspiration.

Thanks

Mark

Last edited by popellis; Mar 15, 2012 at 9:52 AM.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 8:15 PM   #9

Mark - glad that you are happy with your decision, and that you had some good outdoor photos with the DA 70. Shows you have the talent and skill, just need to keep practicing...

Will look forward to your posting more & even better photos soon.
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2012, 11:09 PM   #10

I don't think that the KR would have made any difference over the Kx. The K5 could be more beneficial since it is supposed to be better at higher ISO settings. And there's nothing wrong with buying a new toy because it's calling your name (I've bought several lenses that I really didn't need but wanted anyway, along with at least one camera). However, I think you have made a wise choice for right now - the K5 is much more complicated and can potentially be more frustrating if you get something messed up. Best thing to do is take more pictures with the Kx. Read the manual again and try some feature you haven't used before (getting time for me to do that with the K5 again). And seeing what others have done and asking them how they did it is always a good idea. Relax and have fun with it. Start a new thread with some more of your pictures.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote