Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 31, 2012, 12:25 AM   #11

Admittedly the ease of image correction with digital processing has led to sloppiness after the greater discipline that was demanded by film, but as long as there has been photography (at least with negative images) there has been post processing - remember those days? Dodging, burning, adjusting development times and temperatures, sepiatoning, etc. - manipulating the image until it suited. Even with slide film you could manipulate the image beforehand with filters, f-stop, exposure values, etc., or adjust development in your own darkroom with E-6 process films. With newer cameras like the K-5, the engineers have simply done it for you by processing the image in the camera before you have even seen it! Images have always been manipulated, so don't feel guilty - just enjoy!

Last edited by penolta; Mar 31, 2012 at 12:29 AM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2012, 7:42 PM   #12

Although I will never be classified as a street photographer I have always enjoyed candid photography, capturing the un-posed moment. From the point of view of a “professional” photographer this may be seen as a negative since the art and skill of posing your subject is a necessity for portrait photography. Looking back at my photos through the years I see many successes and far more failures but the images I see as being of interest to me now are almost always those un-posed candids.

Having the time to analyse my photography is a mixed blessing. The expression “paralysis of analysis” exists because when we become obsessed with examining a subject we often end up abandoning the true reason for our interest. We become so caught up in this examination of minutiae that we stop taking pictures. We become equipment junkies and pixel peepers but we stop being photographers. I have experienced this several times in the digital age (although in the film age I was much more rational, perhaps because I had far less control over the finished product). Each time it occurs I find myself caught up in specifications and buying equipment I would probably not use. The last real bout of this paralytic affliction was in the past year when I used a generous gift as a jumping off point to purchases that were indeed unnecessary.

That leads me to my current point. Thanks to my wonderful wife I have been reading two very good books on the photographic art process. These books do not dwell on equipment, they concentrate on the subject and how the photographer can approach the subject. This has been a revelation since it has truly required me to stop what I was doing and start over. The result has been somewhat liberating.

First of all, equipment. I realized that I had too much, I was buried under a disorganized mass of lenses and camera bodies. Solution, start selling. I put together an excellent three lens kit from my excess gear and sold it too a very talented neophyte who wanted to step up from the point and shoot equipment she was using. I have still more to liquidate until I am happy with my chosen Pentax/Olympus combo (brands mean nothing, it is just that you make a decision based on your needs). The Pentax gear includes a lens kit from 10mm fisheye to 300mm telephoto so it is complete for my needs. Sometimes you need the presence of a large camera to gain credibility with your subjects (or clients). The Olympus Pen series has opened up a new avenue for me in candid photography because of its small size, light weight and quiet operation. It does not draw attention like a big black DSLR, and the loud clack is replaced by a quiet click.

Second is “the habit”. The habit I refer to is to have a camera with you at all times. Chase Jarvis, author of “The Best Camera is the one That’s with you” points out that the modern smart phone is a camera we almost all own and carry every day. I am not quite at that level, I still like the feel of a “real” camera in spite of the fact that many phones now produce marvellous images. That is where the mirrorless camera comes in, it is about the size of an old 35mm rangefinder camera and will therefore fit in a coat pocket. I can now get those candid moments without the intimidating presence of the hulking DSLR.

Finally is the motivation. We all have periods when we stray away from the activities we love. Austin Powers would refer to his mojo, and be correct. We often lose the mojo for the things that bring us personal joy. I am not referring to relationships here but just to the things that fill our introspective moments. Some read, some run, some paint, some write and some take pictures. I had lost my mojo over the long cold winter and through this process of evaluation I am gaining it back.

Well the closets still need to be emptied and the image making needs to begin again but the analysis has not reached the paralytic stage, just the self awareness stage we all need sometimes.

Ira
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Old Mar 31, 2012, 7:46 PM   #13

BTW why Olympus E-PL1 and not Pentax K-01, $400, that was the price difference. I will use a Pentax adapter to use my lenses on the Oly and all I will really lose is the AF.

As for the Nikon mount gear, it will probably be sold if the right offer comes along.
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Old Apr 1, 2012, 12:17 AM   #14

While its possible to become too analytical, it's also something that can be extremely important at times. The main reason I started my 365 project was that I wasn't taking pictures much, and those I did take, outside of some cool day trips, were lousy. Many are still lousy, but at least I'm taking more, seeing possibilities more, and just having more fun again. There are some fun new ideas that others have posted, I've been playing around with a couple of them. It's easy to get in a rut and/or to get overwhelmed by it all. The other thing that I often have to remind myself is that I take pictures to please myself and for fun. I'm not going to be Ansel Adams, but I can have fun trying.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2012, 2:48 AM   #15

Harriet, I started a 365 project but lost my momentum and let it slide. I think it is time to try again but next time with some common thread to tie it all together.

BTW did you hear that Pentax is releasing a full frame K-3? What a great platform that would be for your FA limited lenses. Hopefully they can keep the price down.

Old Apr 1, 2012, 10:34 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monza76 View Post
Harriet, I started a 365 project but lost my momentum and let it slide. I think it is time to try again but next time with some common thread to tie it all together.

BTW did you hear that Pentax is releasing a full frame K-3? What a great platform that would be for your FA limited lenses. Hopefully they can keep the price down.
Ira, I think the K-3 news is an April Fools joke. At least most people on Pentax Forums seem to think so.

Meanwhile, I must say that while I certainly do not lack for photo gear, I have been getting lazy in recent months and just don't shoot much at all. Part of it is rising pressures at work - in terms of both time and energy - and part of it is an extended family that doesn't have much patience for my photography. They'd prefer me to just take fast, easy snaps.

So I've been leaving the camera at home a lot and when I do bring a camera, it's often the old Panasonic LX3 that at least provides some decent and realiable results with those happy snaps. I'd like to find a way to kick-start the old passion.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2012, 10:39 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biro View Post
Ira, I think the K-3 news is an April Fools joke. At least most people on Pentax Forums seem to think so.

Meanwhile, I must say that while I certainly do not lack for photo gear, I have been getting lazy in recent months and just don't shoot much at all. Part of it is rising pressures at work - in terms of both time and energy - and part of it is an extended family that doesn't have much patience for my photography. They'd prefer me to just take fast, easy snaps.

So I've been leaving the camera at home a lot and when I do bring a camera, it's often the old Panasonic LX3 that at least provides some decent and realiable results with those happy snaps. I'd like to find a way to kick-start the old passion.
I really should check the calendar before I post "news", I hate April 1st, it gets me every year.

I understand the issues you face, I have had friends and family make rather rude comments about what I should do with my camera. I am hoping that I can get myself more motivated over the next few months, these posts are part of that process.

Thanks for the comment.

Old Apr 1, 2012, 12:12 PM   #18

Apparently the Pentax Forums don't think it is a joke - it is announced on their front page today..

https://www.pentaxforums.com/news/pe...announced.html

Last edited by penolta; Apr 1, 2012 at 12:16 PM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2012, 2:19 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by penolta View Post
Apparently the Pentax Forums don't think it is a joke - it is announced on their front page today..

I think I will wait a couple of days and see what the truth is.

Old Apr 1, 2012, 3:03 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by penolta View Post

Take a look inside, in the "news and rumors" forum. Site owner and admistrator Adam has posted... confirming the joke. However, the joke may at least hint at something he knows for later in the year.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote