Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 12, 2012, 9:57 PM   #1

Default K-5 Raw Software

Can anyone point me to the proper place where I can get some free or low cost raw software that works with raw images taken with the K-5. I am using Adobe Photoshop Elements 7.0 but it can not support the raw files.

I need something that can open the Pentax raw files and do minor edits and balances.

Sound I have gotten something with the original camera? Anywhere I can get a plug-in or driver I can add to Photoshop Elements 7.0

Thanks

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 12, 2012, 9:59 PM   #2

RAWtherapee should work for ya, Dave. http://rawtherapee.com/
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 1:31 AM   #3
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo 5 View Post
Sound I have gotten something with the original camera?
Yes. You should have a software CD with the PENTAX Digital Camera Utility 4 on it that allows raw conversion. It's based on SilkyPix.

Quote:
Anywhere I can get a plug-in or driver I can add to Photoshop Elements 7.0
No. It's too old to install a version of Adobe Camera Raw that supports your K-5. You'd need to install the Adobe Camera Raw plugin version 6.3 or higher, and that would require Elements 9 or higher (it won't work in Elements 7)

But, you could convert your .pef files to .dng format using the free Adobe DNG Converter.

Then, you could use Elements 7 to open the .dng files. You'll see the download links for the latest 6.5 version of the free Adobe DNG Converter here:

http://www.adobe.com/products/photos...html#downloads

Or, you can set your camera to shoot using .dng versus .pef.

Quote:
free or low cost raw software
UFRaw and RawTherapee (mentioned by Gary) are both free would probably open them.

What do you consider to be low cost? You may want to give the trial version of Corel Aftershot Pro a spin and see if you like it. It's *very* fast and has lots of nice features that make it easy to work with a lot of images from a workflow perspective.

Corel bought Bibble Labs and reintroduced Bibble Pro as Corel Aftershot Pro for $99 retail (when Bibble Pro 5 was selling for $199). I like it since it's available for Linux, OS X and Windows (and I use Linux most of the time), and it's amazingly fast for managing images and raw conversion.

Corel has it on sale only $79 right this minute and it shows your K-5 as being supported. So, it should work with the native .pef raw files from it (although I don't know if it would work with .dng files, so you'd have to try .dng to find out).

http://www.corel.com/corel/product/i...id=prod4670071

Here's a link to download a trial version of it:

http://apps.corel.com/lp/aftershot/download/index.html

Here's a "Webinar" showing some of it's features:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i633ZBya9Fc
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 5:25 AM   #4

Default Adobe Lightroom

Adobe Lightroom 3 produces stunning results & should be available at a reduced price now that Lightroom 4 has just been released.

Download the trial & use for 30 days before registration is required to see for yourself.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 6:28 AM   #5

I shoot DNG raw, an option on Pentax cameras. Any photoshop, including Elements will develop DNG which was developed by Adobe and allowed to be used free by any camera manufacturer.

Ed
snooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 9:31 AM   #6

I'm another that shoots raw using DNG format instead of Pentax's proprietary software. Your version of PSE should be able to read it. On the other hand, PSE isn't all that expensive, it would be worth upgrading to the latest version and you'd get all the new features.

I personally use Lightroom for my raw conversion, much more convenient than photoshop or elements.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 6:52 PM   #7

Thanks for the all the info. Did 2 tests using dng and it opened in my adobe photoshop elements. The problem I was having was I used the default raw setting for Pentax and it would not open........ I'll experiment more this weekend without options just nice to know when I want to or need to use raw I can although I plan to shoot 98% in jpeg do to work requirements.

you all are the best bunch of people around

dave
Old Mar 14, 2012, 9:18 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by snooked View Post
I shoot DNG raw, an option on Pentax cameras. Any photoshop, including Elements will develop DNG which was developed by Adobe and allowed to be used free by any camera manufacturer.
Ed
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
I'm another that shoots raw using DNG format instead of Pentax's proprietary software. Your version of PSE should be able to read it. On the other hand, PSE isn't all that expensive, it would be worth upgrading to the latest version and you'd get all the new features.

I personally use Lightroom for my raw conversion, much more convenient than photoshop or elements.
Viewing the Adobe site's video on the benefits of DNG, the presenter, Julieanne Kost, stated that she shoots in the manufacturer's native RAW, post processes in Lightroom, then exported as DNG to keep the edited detail in the PP image & backed up both 'PEF' & 'DNG' to seperate hard drives so as to preserve the integrity of the 'PEF' file, should anything go amiss, & the edited image for any subsequent changes.

Having viewed both PEF & DNG of the same image, my impressions are that PEF has slightly more image quality, but that may be down to the viewer - ACDSee v4.

I guess that this gives the best of both worlds but I was just wondering what your thoughts were on the subject.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 10:06 AM   #9

My thoughts are as follows I could not get the PEF file to open so I trashed them and reshot 2 dng files. I was doing this as a test in case I ever had a need to use raw files in/with my camera. I found the dng files would just fine for me so far.

dave
Old Mar 14, 2012, 10:10 AM   #10
Administrator

Dave:

See my previous post. You can convert your existing .pef files to .dng files using the *free* Adobe DNG Converter. Then, you can open the [converted to] .dng files in your existing version of Elements. This part of it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
...But, you could convert your .pef files to .dng format using the free Adobe DNG Converter.

Then, you could use Elements 7 to open the .dng files. You'll see the download links for the latest 6.5 version of the free Adobe DNG Converter here:

http://www.adobe.com/products/photos...html#downloads

Or, you can set your camera to shoot using .dng versus .pef.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote