Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 20, 2012, 1:09 PM   #1

Default Clearwing in Flight

I believe this to be the Clearwing Moth - Hemaris Thysbe, though there are some differences, to the wings (black not red) and legs (black not a light colour) though the rest looks about right for Hemaris Thysbe. Maybe a regional variation to those found in the USA (I used Bug guide as a reference) ? If anyone can confirm that would be great ! These are heavy crops - maybe a little too heavy perhaps !

#7 - What is this ? A wasp or a mimic ?

Thanks for looking !

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC

Last edited by Frogfish; Mar 20, 2012 at 1:11 PM.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 20, 2012, 6:44 PM   #2

Amazing capture, curious creature.

Rodney

My Flickr Photos

Pentax K-5 K20D K100D
Pentax DA 55-300mm 4-5.8 ED / Pentax M 200mm F4 / Pentax Tak K 135mm 2.5 / Pentax M 100mm F4 Macro / Tamron SP AF90mm 2.8 Di Macro / Pentax M 1.7 50mm / Pentax M 2.8 28mm
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2012, 7:38 PM   #3

Stunning photos. Here we call them butterfly moths. You captured them from all angles. Nicely done!

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2012, 10:07 PM   #4

No idea what they are, but those transparent wings are cool! I'm sure that someone who knows something about moths will be able to ID them from your pictures.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2012, 8:50 AM   #5

Nicely done Kevin, I don't know how much you cropped them but it doesn't show any bad effects and retained great sharpness. My efforts with insects to date have been poor so I know the difficulties involved and you did a great job. That is one strange looking bug.

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2012, 9:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogfish View Post
If anyone can confirm that would be great ! Thanks for looking !
Hemaris thysbe it is ! A Clearwing Hummingbird Moth.
Strobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2012, 9:54 AM   #7

Kevin in my previous reply I said butterfly moth and meant hummingbird moth. The brain melts down with time. Strobe is correct. Here is a poor macro that I shot of one to confirm the ID.
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2012, 10:07 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltech View Post
Kevin in my previous reply I said butterfly moth and meant hummingbird moth. The brain melts down with time. Strobe is correct. Here is a poor macro that I shot of one to confirm the ID.
We've been fooled more than once into thinking they were hummers from a distance. What is written is that these little guys are shy and timid, but we have found just the opposite when we have run into them. I have been lucky enough to get up on them pretty close. They shuuure like the rhodies !
Strobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2012, 12:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney9 View Post
Amazing capture, curious creature.

Rodney
Thanks Rodney - I love the little wonders and get really excited when I see one !

Quote:
Stunning photos. Here we call them butterfly moths. You captured them from all angles. Nicely done!

Lou
Thank you Lou ! This one really liked those flowers (no idea what they are) that grow in the reed beds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
No idea what they are, but those transparent wings are cool! I'm sure that someone who knows something about moths will be able to ID them from your pictures.
They really are cool little creatures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnikesch View Post
Nicely done Kevin, I don't know how much you cropped them but it doesn't show any bad effects and retained great sharpness. My efforts with insects to date have been poor so I know the difficulties involved and you did a great job. That is one strange looking bug.

Hans
Thank you Hans, these are each maybe 1/10 of the real estate of each shot. Shot with the DA*300 at around 5 - 7 yds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strobe View Post
Hemaris thysbe it is ! A Clearwing Hummingbird Moth.
Thank you for the confirmation Strobe. Interesting regional differences.

Quote:
Nice shot Lou. You can really see the difference between the Hemaris thysbe over here and your Hemaris thysbe. Yours has light coloured legs, ours has dark. Yours has red tinges to the wings, whilst ours has black, the red banding on yours is at the rear end whilst on ours it is higher up on the abdomen with a lighter band next to the 'tail' and so on. Minor but important points and that's why I wasn't sure it was the same Hemaris Thysbe or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strobe View Post
We've been fooled more than once into thinking they were hummers from a distance. What is written is that these little guys are shy and timid, but we have found just the opposite when we have run into them. I have been lucky enough to get up on them pretty close. They shuuure like the rhodies !
They sure are timid over here - probably worried about ending up in the pot !

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC

Last edited by Frogfish; Mar 22, 2012 at 12:04 PM.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2012, 3:19 PM   #10

Great shots, I love those moths!

Pretty sure 7 is a proper wasp, but can't help identify it, there's nothing like that over here for me to compare it with.
Tamron Adaptall 2 - 28mm, 28-80mm, 500mm Mirror
Pentax KAF - 18-55mm WR, 28-105mm PowerZoom
Pentax K - 50mm f/2, 50mm f/1.7, 28mm f/2.2
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote