Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 23, 2012, 3:46 PM   #1

Default Cranes=spring!

Spring is here! And the cranes come in from Germany to prove it.

I've had an A* 600mm f5.6 lens for some years now, but haven't been able to use it to it's full capacity since I haven't had a sturdy enough lens support. When I bought the lens I didn't realize I'd need to invest in a tripod and a tripod head at about the same cost as the lens.
But now that has been taken care of! A Wimberley Gimbal Head II delivered from Winchester, Virginia right into my trembeling hands at work in Kristianstad, Sweden. A Feisol CT-3472LV Tripod from Taiwan, the last they had in stock in their European store in Germany.

So now I'm prepared for the cranes. And today I heard their characteristic call from the other side of the little forest behind my house. Sunny weather, POETS day at work (P*ss Off Early, Tomorrow's Saturday).

Two reasonably OK shots, hope to get closer during the weekend. I also hope to remeber to bring TCs, today I was a bit too excited when I heard the calls. Distance about 270 m, both shots have been cropped a bit to improve composition.

Kjell

Name:  Cranes-in-flight-web.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  172.1 KB

Name:  Cranes-on-ground-web.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  204.3 KB
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 24, 2012, 8:02 PM   #2

Very nice Kjell. I am especially fond of the first shot, with the three cranes in the air.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2012, 2:41 PM   #3

Nice captures Kjell. The flight shots are splendid!

I have a Fisol CT-3401 and like the tripod a lot. I had lost a rubber foot from one of the legs and e-mailed Fisol and asked if I could buy one and they sent me 6 by mail and never charged me. Great service and support from Fisol Taiwan.

Would you recommend the Wimberly Gimbal head II?

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2012, 4:37 PM   #4

Thanks for the nice comments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltech View Post
Would you recommend the Wimberly Gimbal head II?

Lou
Absolutely, if one can try to forget the price tag. It's very well designed, and crafted to perfection. It's usable with any camera/lens combination with the proper quick release plate, but probably a bit of overkill for lenses smaller than a 300mm f2.8.

I'm also very satisfied with the Feisol tripod. I can hardly see how a more expensive Gitzo could be better.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2012, 9:14 AM   #5

Wow! Great shots, especially the first one. I've been so busy lately and slow to get caught up. Glad I didn't miss this thread!

Everything I've heard about the Feisol tripods has been positive. If yours can support the A*600, then it must be good! I'm looking forward to more shots with that lens (that I can only dream about at this point).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2012, 6:49 PM   #6

So glad you were able to acquire the lens support needed for this monster lens! Amazingly great detail with birds in flight with such a large and heavy lens. Will look forward to seeing more of your work with it!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote