Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 25, 2012, 12:13 PM   #1

Default K-x and 18-135

Hi

I'm still a newbie just posting a couple of shots trying to figure what I'm doing wrong for sharpness in my shots. I know the composition is not the greatest.

Both Shot in Program mode.
1st shot 60mm, F7.1 ISO-100 Pattern Metering 0 EV 1/320 sec
2nd shot 135mm F5.6 ISO-100 Pattern Metering, 0 EV 1/250 sec

I can't seem to post images with EXIF data intact.

CC would really be appreciated.

Thanks
Mark
Attached Images

Panasonic FZ-100, FZ-150, LX5, LX7, Pentax K-x & K-5, Bower Flash, FA-50 1.7,FA-100 2.8, FA-135 2.8, DA-35 2.4,DA-18-135 3.5,DA Limited 15 4, DA Limited 70 2.4, DAL 18-55, DAL 55-300, Pentax 1.7 Teleconverter, Sigma 70-200 2.8
popellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 25, 2012, 10:29 PM   #2

Mark, I like both shots a lot. for the first, you made a mistake that I also make almost every time I hand hod a shot: your horizon is not level. Looks to me like the image needs to be very slightly rotated -- maybe about 3 or 4 degrees clockwise. The composition also might be a bit more interesting if you put the subject (the driftwood pile) not in the dead center. Look up the "rule of thirds" for more on this issue, but remember -- there are only guidelines, not absolute rules.

On the second shot the only changes I would make would be to crop out the edge of the car on the left, and remove some of the road in the foreground. I think there's more road than you need.

As I said, I really like both photos.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2012, 5:51 AM   #3

Hi Mark.

Can't tell exactly from these shots but it's possible your point of focus is behind where you thought it was. To be safe you can always choose the 'Select point of focus and recompose' method :

1. Make sure you are in AF-S and NOT AF-C mode otherwise your camera will continually refocus as you move around.
2. Focus on your main point of interest, half depress the shutter to lock focus, then ....
3. Keeping the shutter half depressed, re-compose through the view-finder and finally depress the shutter button to take the shot.

This method is good for 90% of shots people take though it can be detrimental when shooting landscapes for example (soft edges). Another way is to use selective focus points (in-camera) and yet another is using hyperfocal distance (this is a method of selecting the minimum and maximum distances of the shot that will be in focus, note this is not an in-camera mode but a technique). It can get more complicated by selecting different focus points or finding the hyperfocal distance for each shot. Stick with AF-S and focus and re-compose for now until you are completely comfortable with it.

EXIF - It's almost certainly your software or hosting site that is stripping out the EXIF. Use something like Picasa for now and host on somewhere like Flikr and the EXIF will remain in tact.

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC

Last edited by Frogfish; Mar 26, 2012 at 5:56 AM.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2012, 7:07 AM   #4

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Both these images look soft and "dull" (lacks contrast). A DSLR should do better in Program mode.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2012, 9:43 AM   #5

Thank you all

The focus on the wood pile scene was actually the wood pile to my eye it does not look that sharp. yes it does look dull. The road was probably not a good shot to decide how sharp the image is the focus for this shot was on the road where the people were. I already cropped out the cars evidently not enough. I have heard this lens works better on the K-5 than on the K-x. Of course I heard this after I bought the lens. I figure most problems is the guy behind the lens as I seem to have trouble with blur issues with this lens. So it was suggested to take it outside and shoot in P mode to see what settings the camera is choosing. I'm still practicing. I will have to look up Hyper focal distance. I normally shoot in AF-S mode and half press the shutter on the target and the recompose.

Thanks
Mark
Panasonic FZ-100, FZ-150, LX5, LX7, Pentax K-x & K-5, Bower Flash, FA-50 1.7,FA-100 2.8, FA-135 2.8, DA-35 2.4,DA-18-135 3.5,DA Limited 15 4, DA Limited 70 2.4, DAL 18-55, DAL 55-300, Pentax 1.7 Teleconverter, Sigma 70-200 2.8
Old Mar 26, 2012, 10:05 AM   #6

Firstly, images straight out of the camera will not be at their best in terms of sharpness & 'bite'; I know that dSRL JPEGs are slightly more processed than they used to be, but they are not as crisp as when post processed.

Building on already mentioned comments, I would focus on the driftwood in Image 1 & 'Road Closed' sign in Image 2.

Assuming they are JPEGs, set the size & quality to MAXIMUM - never use in-camera resizing as it's always best to do this during post processing, then play around with level settings to suit your requirements. These were PP in Adobe LightRoom 4 which you can download for a 30day trial.
Attached Images

Old Mar 26, 2012, 1:32 PM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by popellis View Post
I can't seem to post images with EXIF data intact.
You're exceeding the maximum allowed sizes (either file size or dimensions) for attaching images to posts here. The file size should not exceed 253.9KB, and the longest side should not exceed 1024 pixels. If the images are larger than allowed, the forums software will modify your images (resizing and recompressing them and stripping out any EXIF data.

If you do not exceed the file size or dimensions allowed, then your images will remain intact (no modification will be made to them).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogfish View Post
EXIF - It's almost certainly your software or hosting site that is stripping out the EXIF.
Those photos were uploaded to our servers using the paperclip icon you'll see to attach images when making a new post. So, the forums software here at Steve's probably modified them because the uploaded photos exceeded the maximum sizes allowed here). So, it recompressed the images and stripped out any EXIF in them.

When you use the Manage Attachments feature (paperclip icon) to insert images, you'll see the maximum allowed sizes on the page you use to browse and upload images. The longest side should be no longer than 1024 pixels, and the file size should be no larger than 253.9KB.

Most of the time, if you downsize images so that they're within the allowed dimensions (longest side of 1024 pixels or shorter), and use a JPEG compression (Quality) setting of around 80 percent (or around 8 on a 1 to 10 scale) with the image editor you're using, you'll be within the allowed file size, too.

If you exceed the maximum allowed size (for either dimensions or file size), the forums software will still try to let you attach them. But, it will resize and recompress the images (and the algorithms leave something to be desired).

So, it's a good idea to make sure images are no larger than 1024 pixels on their longest side, with a file size no larger than 253KB to prevent them from being resized and/or recompressed with the EXIF stripped out (as happened with those images, since I can see the jpeg tag our forums software places in the IPTC data when it modifies images).

Here's a screen showing the maximum sizes I was talking about that you'll see when attaching images here. It's best to stick within those sizes (file size no larger than 253.9KB, longest dimension of 1024 pixels or shorter) to prevent the forums software from modifying your images and stripping out any EXIF info in them (since that can make them appear a bit softer due to the jpeg compression libraries the forums are using).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2012, 3:33 PM   #8

Testing EXIF post

Thanks Jim That worked I will have to remember that.

Mark
Attached Images

Last edited by popellis; Mar 26, 2012 at 3:35 PM.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 5:48 PM   #9

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

The sharpness and clarity/contrast in your last upload is heaps better! Perhaps due the excessive file size, the images were being compressed during the upload.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2012, 6:39 PM   #10

Dave - Looks like you've solved the problem of softness due to uploading files that are too big. Also, be sure to keep a close eye on the lighting. Soft gray light can be great for some subjects, (my favorite light for streams and for wildflowers), but may give you some flat-looking landscapes...
mole is offline   Reply With Quote