Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 28, 2012, 3:39 PM   #1

Default Week 3 of 52

Week 3 of 52 started off with me having a doctor poke holes in my back and ended with us visiting relatives out of town. I didnít take the camera to work since I didnít want to leave it in the car at the hospital, which limited the time I had. When I got home I discovered I didnít have the patience for an indoor project, but I was determined to have something new so I went out on the upstairs deck and shot this one. I thought the furry neighbor walking on the correct side of the street (facing on-coming traffic) added a nice touch.

My back was still inflamed on Tuesday, so I stayed home to alternate ice and heat. Of course, the ice pack suddenly leaked and I ventured into town to get a new one. The pharmacy is a block away from a park, so I took both the K5/DA*300 (or was it the A*300? I'd have to check as I've been using the A more recently) and the K100/kit lens/Hoya R72 filter. I took a couple of quick shots of the various birds in the park (geese and ducks).

Then I wandered around with the tripod, taking IR pictures of trees. Several of them were framed nicely, but when I looked at them on the monitor at home, I was very disappointed. Iíve become very used to using quality lenses and I no longer found the K100ís shots with the kit lens acceptable. I played around with a couple of them and got very frustrated. I was determined to post an IR picture that day and I wondered if there was a problem with the filter or camera, so I went out again to a near-by spot with the DA35 macro and shot several frames for a panorama, which came out very nicely. I posted it to my project and then put the kit lens in the trash. Lessoned learned Ė itís not worth my time to shoot with poor quality equipment, so Iím no longer going to be sentimental and keep the junk.

Wednesday found me back at work. The morning was overcast so I didnít bother shooting before work. I did go out at lunch, with the idea of taking this picture with its vertical lines. While the shot is OK, I ended up not posting it, I chose another instead (if you want to see it, hereís the link: http://mtngal.zenfolio.com/img/s3/v38/p270018099-5.jpg - itís of one of the high rise buildings that has odd lines that arenít vertical). Iím not entirely happy with either one, they are uninspired, rather boring shots. I wasnít much into picture-taking that day but I didnít give up.

Thursday morning had wonderful light and I took a number of shots that were pleasing. This was my favorite picture from the morning because I loved the colors.

However, Dan thought it too plain so I posted this one of some workers putting up a giant poster. I even stood there for about 5 minutes, waiting for the sunlight to hit DiCaprioís face (which I guess was apropos for the movie this giant poster is advertising).

On Friday I saw the new bi-weekly challenge was glass. That gave me the incentive I needed to try to use a polarizer to avoid light reflections in a museum setting. Iíve shot in this space before and havenít had all that much success. I had a bit more success, but there are so many different glass surfaces, lights in so many different locations so itís coming from all sorts of different angles, it really made very little difference. I posted the shots to the bi-weekly challenge at: http://forums.steves-digicams.com/biweekly-shoot-out/197443-glass-trophies.html , but didnít get any response. Itís probably not exactly the most interesting topic and I donít have any dramatic before and after pictures because it didnít dramatically help. It was a great opportunity for me to try what seemed like a great idea and I learned something. Good use of my time though.

Saturday found me on the road going to visit family. The sunset was fabulous, a lovely Mojave Desert sunrise. I ended up posting another picture to the project at: http://mtngal.zenfolio.com/img/s3/v42/p208199051-4.jpg because I liked the mix of road view with the sky coloring, but this one has a better sky over-all.

During the day I had a few minutes to myself so I thought I would take pictures of the new ďtoyĒ that Dan bought me on Friday. Itís very cute!

After dinner I took a few minutes to take a picture from my sisterís backyard. I think Iíll try re-processing it Ė it didnít look quite the same when I uploaded it to zenfolio as it had when I looked at it in photoshop. But I was actually pretty happy with it Ė I was hanging onto a fence and letting the camera rest on a cement upright.

As we got close to home on Sunday, the windshield looked like this:

And then changed as we went a little higher to this:

When it started to break up, I ventured out to shoot some of the snow that had accumulated on the trees and branches. This is the picture I posted to the project:

It was a productive week, glad I didnít back-slide to not taking a picture during it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 29, 2012, 7:04 AM   #2

Harriet, I am in awe of your dedication/perseverance! I doubt I'd have lasted 3 days let alone 3 weeks. OK it's easy taking photos every day when you are on holiday but when you get back home ...

Anyway, another great batch. I especially love the snow on the branch; there is so much detail in the accumulated snow.

Also seems very strange that you're posting photos of snow in "sunny" California while I'm sitting in the north-west of England in glorious warm sunshine!

Keithw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2012, 6:54 PM   #3

Indeed dedication - especially after back treatments - sure do hope & pray your recovery is soon and complete.

Another very interesting series - much attention to textures and lines. Wonderful light on the goose face (as well as the "human face" on the movie poster).

PS - Did you literally throw away that kit lens? Perhaps you should see if someone just starting out could use it?
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2012, 8:27 PM   #4

Nice variety of shots. Hope your back recovers soon. I think you have had more snow than us this year. Boston's season total is about 9" and 7" came last October.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2012, 10:03 PM   #5

Keith - it's turning out to be fun. Instead of putting off trying new things, I just go out and do it. It's been a great learning experience, in some unexpected ways. We'll see if I'll still feel the same way in 6 months or not though.

Mole - the back treatment isn't a big deal really - some ice, some heat, an anti-inflammatory and a day or two and its hugely better. It's doing wonders, I'm getting more exercise, taking off a pound or two I had put on. I'm delighted that I'll get the other side done Monday and be done with it all. And yes, I did find myself being drawn to lines and textures. I'm still in that mode for this week, too. It goes that way - something else will grab my attention next week probably.

Lou - we haven't had all that much - probably no more than 4 inches from this past storm, 2-3 the previous week, about an inch in February (or something like that), then another inch or two in the fall. At least we're getting some moisture now - it's been very mild for most of the winter. By the way, how far do you think your Bruins will go in the playoffs this year?

P.S. Yes, the lens ended up in the trash can. I couldn't sell it, it's such a lousy copy except at the center. I wouldn't feel right passing it on to anyone, it's just too good of a frustration-maker!

Last edited by mtngal; Mar 29, 2012 at 10:06 PM.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 10:15 PM   #6

That goose....can't recall when I've seen a sharper picture. The detail is astonishing....wonder if that was taken with your DA* 300 ?

I also find your experiments with light and lines (cables, office building), etc. very interesting. I don't take many pictures either at sun up or near sun set, but I need to bite the bullet and get up earlier.

Also, on your views on the kit lens. I have the 18-55 plastic mount...came with my KM. I've used it a few times, but it sits in my bag.

I've got the 16-45 and 12-24, both Pentax.... and like you, I have found that I can't see any point in using the 18-55...when these two excellent lenses are available. I can't see giving it to anyone...as they either have a kit 18-55 or have a better wide angle zoom.

The picture of snow was good. Detail and even a bit of contrast...not easy to do and I should know being in a climate with 5 to 5.5 month long winters.

Les
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2012, 11:56 PM   #7

Thanks, Les. I did use the DA for the goose. There's a bit of extra clarity I sometimes see with it, and this picture has it.

I don't have a lot of choice for shooting during the week, it's before work, lunch, or rarely after work. So I've been doing lots of stuff right around dawn. Maybe next week will find me at the botanical gardens next week. I am trying to do lots of different things, to keep it interesting.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 11:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesmore49 View Post

Also, on your views on the kit lens. I have the 18-55 plastic mount...came with my KM. I've used it a few times, but it sits in my bag.

I've got the 16-45 and 12-24, both Pentax.... and like you, I have found that I can't see any point in using the 18-55...when these two excellent lenses are available. I can't see giving it to anyone...as they either have a kit 18-55 or have a better wide angle zoom.

Les
I use the 18-55mm that I have because it is the WR and when mounted on the K20 I can brave the elements. Honestly though I usually use the old FA 28-70mm f4, a prime lens or something a little longer.
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Old Apr 1, 2012, 12:55 PM   #9

I looked at your glass shots and had and saw the one for Dr. Jim Puffer. It reminded me of a high school coach named Walt Puffer, and it seems he could have been Jim's dad. Maybe not, but you don't run into many Puffers and this was all near Westwood.

The Mojave sunrise is quite evocative.
MacBook is offline   Reply With Quote