Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 5, 2012, 3:27 PM   #1

Default I think I've saved myself some money!

During my recent self-indulgent, self-pitying moment of doubt, one of the things I was considering was the purchase of an 18-250mm zoom - because I find changing between my 18-55mm & 70-300mm a pain. However, I think common sense is prevailing in that, as flawed as my current lenses are, they are almost certainly better than the super-zoom. So I'm just going to have to learn how to change lenses with the minimum of fuss. Can't be that difficult, after all I frequently used to swap lenses when I had the M42 mount.

Speaking of which, I think a bit more money saved. I kept wondering about a fast 50mm (probably f1.7 as the f1.4 lenses aren't cheap). However, I had a thought and went to find my old camera case. And in that case, amongst various old cameras and filters I found the following:

Photax-Paragon 28mm f2.8;
Photax-Paragon 200mm f3.5; and
Pentax 50mm f2

All the lenses look in good shape considering they're the best part of 40 years old. So I think I'll invest in an M42/PK mount adapter and have a play. Oh the joys of being fully manual!!! I'll almost certainly be asking for help - you have been warned.

Keithw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 5, 2012, 5:07 PM   #2

Good luck with the lenses, do some investigating on the 42mm-K adapter I hear some will not allow the lens to focus to infinity. I have some Pentax brand adapters that work well on my lenses. I believe the issue is the thickness of the flange that mounts between the lens and the camera on some cheap adapters. Mine look like the one below E bay about $8. I have one on each 42mm lens a 28 and a 300

Hans
Attached Images

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:

Last edited by hnikesch; Apr 5, 2012 at 5:15 PM.
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2012, 12:57 AM   #3

Yep x2 on Hans' comments. Just go for the original Pentax adapter, it costs a little more but won't get stuck on the mount as I had happen with another very cheap adapter I bought first.

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2012, 6:16 PM   #4

Thanks for the advice - the only problem is that I have already ordered one. Worryingly it didn't mention whether it allowed focussing to infinity. It was only 5GBP ($8) so not an issue if it doesn't. Just checked ebay again and those that do are all from China or Hong Kong. Might need to wait that much longer! Also the only genuine Pentax adapter was selling for $30.
Will test on my old film Pentax before letting it near my K.5

Keithw is offline   Reply With Quote