Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 8, 2012, 10:38 AM   #1

Default Week 4 of 52

I was out of town (again) last weekend so I got behind with my weekly summary. I was going to do one for two weeks, but decided I would end up with too many pictures in one thread, so hereís what should have been posted last week, for the week of March 25 - 31. I'll post this past week either later today if I find some interesting wildflowers this morning, or tomorrow or so if I end up doing something indoors this evening.

Monday found me not enthusiastic about taking a walk in the rain, so I took pictures of the iPad. This wasnít as good as the previous one but since I had chosen not to post the earlier one, I used this for the project.

At lunch I walked around trying to capture clouds that looked threatening. This HDR was the best I could manage.

Tuesday morning had a wonderful sunrise. It wasnít so much that the colors were lovely, it was the clouds and the texture they created that caught my eye.

Iíve shot this building several times in the past and wanted to get a current one with Wells Fargo on it. I tried on two other mornings but the light wasn't very good, and this morning finally got the light the way I wanted. The windows are actually tinted very dark Ė most of the time they look black. But at sunrise, with the early morning golden light reflecting off of them, the building is totally different.

One of my goals is to take a picture every day to post. So anything that Iíve done in the past that I thought was cool and that I wanted to post to the project, I would have to re-shoot. These are my own rules - the 365 project itself doesn't care, and many post "filler" shots. So Wednesday found me shooting pictures of this wall, then in the evening matching one of them with the pictures I shot of the blueprint a couple of days ago. Figured that wasnít really cheating, since the wall picture had been taken that day.

Since the bi-weekly challenge was glass, Thursday found me shooting through a magnifying glass. While it was a quick grab shot (what do I have around the office that would work for a background?), I rather liked it, but I guess I was the only one that did, no one commented on it. You can find the bi-weekly thread and the picture here: http://forums.steves-digicams.com/bi...ing-glass.html

Friday brought another trip to see family. The sunrise was very boring, and then I forgot about taking a picture. Right before we were going to go to bed, Dan asked if I had taken anything (answer "oooppps!"). So I went outside, rested the camera on the metal fence and took a better picture of the Stratosphere than the one I took last week.

Saturday found me helping my sister unpack boxes. On one of my breaks I happened to notice one of her decanters and how the top acted as a prism. Couldnít resist taking a bunch of pictures of it. I also posted this to the bi-weekly challenge, and someone mentioned I had two small spots of light on the bottle(reflections of spot lights). Hereís the version that has the spotlight reflections cloned out.

We were up early Sunday morning, getting ready to leave. As I was wandering around the house, making sure I had all of my stuff, I noticed the wonderful golden light, and tried to take advantage of it.

I ended up not posting the above picture, though it was probably my favorite of the day. I instead posted this one of a golf course, because I loved the graphic lines and shades of green:

You wouldnít know by looking at that beautifully kept grass, that the area around it isnít so lush. There are a ton of opportunists that take advantage of it; Iím sure that the course managers donít like them though. Loved the backlit ears.

While the weather in Vegas was pretty and sunny, that quickly changed the closer we got to home. The wind was howling across the Antelope Valley, creating a dust storm and above it the clouds spoke of rain and snow (the third snowy Sunday in a row!).

We were glad to finally get home, and so ends the 4th week. Week 5 to follow in a day or two.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 8, 2012, 4:46 PM   #2

Another great series! Adore the Wells Fargo building, but the blueprint photo is exceptional. Brilliant idea!l

Keithw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2012, 5:12 PM   #3

I agree about the blueprint shot, that is a great photograph!

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2012, 5:47 PM   #4

Thanks! I did a similar blueprint picture a couple of years ago, this time I had a person on the bench. Also, it was a different wall - the elevation was a typical elevation, and there are several walls that it matches. The thing I think is so interesting about it all, the elevation was done in 1928 and the walls were relocated in 1990.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 1:47 AM   #5

Amazingly cool shots here Harriet, give yourself a thumbs up. You have also gotten me more motivated to do something daily and different. Since my Pentax is back in Gander I am using what I have available (mostly the amazing little Olympus E-PL1). As a result I cannot post it here but if you are interested check out http://www.flickr.com/photos/monza76...7629727451545/

I really like the wall and the glass bottle.
Cheers and Happy Easter.
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Old Apr 10, 2012, 6:19 PM   #6

Your personal challenge is giving us some fine visual feasts! Looks like it's also training you to pay even closer notice to light and textures.
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2012, 10:40 PM   #7

Thanks, Ira and mole! I'm somewhat surprised about how things are going. I started the project to try to re-capture the fun of photography as well as providing more incentive to try new things. I didn't expect that I would start seeing things differently, but I really have. I am more aware of light and I'm starting to use light and contrast differently. I don't think I've made a conscious effort to do that, it's just happened. This is such a great exercise for me!
Old Apr 11, 2012, 4:55 AM   #8

Love the variation of subjects, fantastic range.

Thanks for your efforts.

Simon
simowills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2012, 2:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennacac View Post
I agree about the blueprint shot, that is a great photograph!

Tom
+1 - I love that shot.

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2012, 7:05 PM   #10

Seeing your pictures makes me want to broaden my photography mindset. looking forward to seeing the rest.