Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 12, 2012, 9:10 AM   #11

Great shots Kevin. I have been thinking of getting a Better Beamer for some time now for bird shooting, you may have just sold me.

If the bats are the fruit eating variety it could be a berry in the bats mouth.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2012, 1:50 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnman View Post
I've never tried to photograph a bat in flight. These look remarkably good.
Thank you Mtnman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole View Post
Very clever technique - hope you get more "keepers" as you perfect it. Thanks for sharing!
Thanks Mole - fingers crossed !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachikoma View Post
Man that's awesome, I am seriously impressed!
Cheers Ash !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney9 View Post
Terrific attempt, look forward to more.

Rodney
Thanks Rodney !

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2012, 2:14 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltech View Post
Great shots Kevin. I have been thinking of getting a Better Beamer for some time now for bird shooting, you may have just sold me.

If the bats are the fruit eating variety it could be a berry in the bats mouth.

Lou
Thank you Lou ! The Better Beamer is a couple of plastic 'arms' with velcro (the photos make it look like it's a solid unit but it's empty space both above and below - just clever product photography) and a small plastic 'Fresnel lens' that you stick on front, again with velcro. It probably costs less than $5 to produce and enterprising young (and old) men could probably make a very decent attempt at building their own.

However I am not one of them. Had I been in the USA I could have just paid my $40 and walked away .. in China however it cost me $75 as the blighter's haven't copied the damn thing yet

Anyway. What you get for your money is ...... brilliant for birding ! There is a rather large increase in the amount of light directed in the direction of your subject as the Fresnel magnifier goes to work and of course the snoot targets that light. I'd say it's possibly a 30-40% increase over flash alone.

The (poor) test shot below was (if I remember correctly) 1/4 power (Metz 50-AF1) @ 15M. I have another I took last night of a pigeon on a neighbour's rooftop at 40m @1/1 power, that was too much I fear as the flash reflection is strong in the bird's eyes and I think 1/2 power would have sufficed with a higher ISO. 50M at full power should be doable .. and this could well transform my birding as the little #$%$#$ almost always see me, even when doing my best SAS impression, when I get within 20m !

So is this piece of plastic worth $40 ... absolutely not. Is it worth $75 to me ... that would be a definite Yes !

100% Crop.

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC

Last edited by Frogfish; Apr 13, 2012 at 3:04 AM.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote