Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 10, 2012, 7:54 PM   #11

Just one more spring "critter." Not an insect, but an insect predator...

Some of the Chorus Frog tadpoles are already growing legs and leaving the vernal ponds. This one seems almost lost in the new moss spore cases!
Attached Images

mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2012, 7:55 PM   #12

Spring is such an exciting, life-filled season here in East Tennessee. Hope you enjoyed these glimpses, and will share your comments & critique!
Attached Images

Old Apr 10, 2012, 7:57 PM   #13

MacBook - You are much too fast for me! I almost missed seeing your kind comments. Hope you get to visit East Tennessee for yourself someday soon - it's much better than my photos!!!
Old Apr 10, 2012, 9:55 PM   #14

I hope to see the incredible area you roam someday. I have been on the other side of the mountains in NC several times, from Brevard to Burnsville, Asheville, Black Mountain, etc.
MacBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2012, 10:26 PM   #15

Those are extremely nice shots, the only bugs we have around here so far are ticks, both wood and deer. They are everywhere, hard to keep the dog clean of them.

The color and clarity of your photographs are wonderful!

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2012, 2:32 AM   #16

Awesome photo's as usual, I love those swallowtails, and those beetles are superb, glad your stalking was a success!
Tamron Adaptall 2 - 28mm, 28-80mm, 500mm Mirror
Pentax KAF - 18-55mm WR, 28-105mm PowerZoom
Pentax K - 50mm f/2, 50mm f/1.7, 28mm f/2.2
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2012, 3:06 PM   #17

What a great series ! I really enjoyed that tour. Where to start !

Firstly, where does the Zebra Swallowtail winter ? Does it hibernate and if not how come the frost doesn't despatch the poor thing ?

The Canada Violet 'puddling' is a wonderful shot ! What was the lens used ?

Those Tiger Beetle shots are great too ! Thanks Mole.

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2012, 9:22 PM   #18

What wonderful photos Mole. I also feel like I have had the privilege of having a private tour guide showing me around the lovely mountains of eastern Tennessee.

It's not germane to these photos, but one of my daughter's best friends is through hiking the AT, and I believe is somewhere in your general area now.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2012, 9:25 PM   #19

MacBook - NC Mountains are certainly some great places to roam. Please post some of your great photos from that side of the mountains! Hope to see you on the Tennessee side someday soon.

Tom - Thanks for your kind words. I promise not to post any tick photos!

Tachikoma - Thanks so much! Tiger Beetle was on a small wooden footbridge, so I just got into the stream (just downstream of the bridge) and crawled on closer...

Kevin - So glad you enjoyed these! To answer your questions:
Overwintering butterflies usually hide sifted down into the leaf litter, sometimes in hollow logs and such. Most don't survive, but this very mild winter meant more survivors. Have seen a number of old and tattered butterflies recently - today some Tiger Swallowtails and American Ladies, quite faded and worn, but still "frisky."
Puddling shot was taken with my new favorite butterfly lens combo - a Tamron Adaptall 90mm macro combined with a Tamron Adaptall 2X TC. Combo becomes a 180mm 1:1 macro. Since I will never be able to afford a Pentax 200mm macro, this is the next best thing. Got some great odonate photos today with it, documenting some new county records.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 9:27 PM   #20

MtnMan - Sorry, I almost missed your very kind comments while typing the other response. Thanks so much!

Hope your daughter's friend is having a great time in the high country! Be sure to ask her about Roan Mountain, Firescald Knob, Hump Mountain, etc...