Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 20, 2012, 6:27 PM   #1

Default First macro/CC please

Trying out the Tamron 90mm macro. CC please, because I dont like these pics and am wondering what im doing wrong. Exif data on flickr..
Old Apr 20, 2012, 10:18 PM   #2

What don't you like about them? They seem quite good to me. The Tamron 90mm is an excellent lens and these shots show it. I would be happy to offer CC but really I don't know why you are disappointed in the results. You have captured the snake well, not the easiest to do with only 90mm (135 equiv).

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2012, 10:41 PM   #3

Ditto. What is it you don't like?
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2012, 11:43 PM   #4

Really like both of them. The first one is interesting because of the relatively small dof, I think if I were shooting a series I would also have shot one with a smaller aperture, to see if I liked a bigger dof, but not sure it would be a better picture. The only other thing someone might not like might be the hotspot on the head, but there's not much you can do about that other than trying to change the lighting. And both of these things are small, and changing the aperture might make for a worse picture.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2012, 7:39 AM   #5

The shallow DOF is my biggest concern, but doing more research i realize macro will be a big learning curve which is alright..cheers Travis
Old Apr 22, 2012, 7:32 PM   #6

Some very nice detail in both, and great action in #1. Tricky lighting - but it's hard to get fast-moving subjects to pose with just the right light! I've had some success with slower-moving critters (like frogs and toads), using a scrap of white paper to reflect some light up from beneath, but snakes don't hold still long enough!

I couldn't figure out how to read your exif data on flicker - what F stop did you use on these? Many people say you should never use the smallest openings, because of loss of quality due to diffraction. This is probably true, but I've had some good success with macros at f 18 - plenty of DOF, and still quite sharp. Some use focus stacking methods to increase DOF with macros, but this would be difficult with a rapidly retreating snake!!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote