Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 25, 2012, 11:09 PM   #11

I have not commented on each of your weekly entries, but please know that I also look forward to each entry, and I very much enjoy the photos you post in these series. I love the wooden bench armrest, and I must confess a special fondness for the plastic forks viewed through crossed polarizers. (I studied geology long ago, and spent many hours peering into a microscope, viewing thin sections of rock through crossed polarizers. If you know what to look for you can learn a great deal about a rock's composition and the processes it has been subjected to by viewing the mineral grains through crossed polarizing filters.) If you're interested in learning more about this phenomenon, look up "birefringence;" you'll find more than you ever wanted to know.

Just wanted to add my voice to those who very much enjoy your weekly posts.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 11:11 AM   #12

Another great week of shots. The polarized knife is my favorite, great idea to use the polarizer that way. I found the paper rolls also quite creative and something I might never think to take a picture of.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2012, 9:58 PM   #13

mtnman - Thanks for the information about double polarizers and how it can be useful, instead of a novelty type of thing.

Lou - I've been trying to get an interesting picture of paper rolls - they figure hugely in my work life and would like to come up with something fun and interesting. I've been surprised how difficult it really is to do.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2012, 10:05 PM   #14

Harriet, what you have done with the crossed polarizers is an excellent emulation of what is done with a polarizing microscope and demonstrate some of the optical properties of the plastic. In the simplest form of polarizing microscope the polarizer is placed beneath the stage, below the subject, and a second polarizer is above the objective lens of the microscope and acts as the analyzer. The polarizer is rotated until the axes of the polarizer and analyzer cross, which blacks out the background, but allows some subject to appear in a variety of colors. Different colors are diagnostic of different materials, and allow identification of various chemical substances which are first melted and then allowed crystalize - the crystals are identifiable by their colors and shapes as well as some of their measurable properties. Your experiments have provided a nice demonstration of this phenomenon.

I like the textured wood and the paper rolls, too, but they didn't involve as much well spent time and thought.

Last edited by penolta; Apr 30, 2012 at 1:22 PM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 12:58 AM   #15

first look at week 7, really enjoy the cross polarized images and the instructions make it a challenge to try. I really like the detail shots, they are quite striking.
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, FA 80-320mm f4.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Old May 5, 2012, 1:30 AM   #16

Thanks, Ira and penolta! I never realized that the double polarizers had a real use until this thread came up. It constantly amazes me what I learn here on this board. They are easier to do for me than street shooting, just takes a little time, thought and two polarizers.

I'm surrounded by paper. Much of my job deals with paper. All sorts of different sizes and shapes. And yet I find it very challenging to photograph for some reason.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote