Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 28, 2012, 4:48 PM   #1

Default Fogbound

Took some visiting relatives out on the Huntington Beach Pier to Ruby's restaurant on the end of the pier. The beach and adjacent waters are widely known for two sports - surfing and beach volleyball. I took my k-5 and new Pentax DA 18-135 ED DC WR lens with UV filter, but it turned out to be an uncharacteristically dreary day with a dense low overcast - hazy and foggy - the further out on the pier we went the worse it got, so I didn't get any surfing pictures. The visibility had improved somewhat as we were leaving; the volleyball "courts" on the beach below the pier were hazy and still heavily overcast, but I did manage to salvage some pictures, such as they were, after cropping and postprocessing the few hurried snapshots. Notice the absence of shadows on the sand.

The first is an unprocessed image, only downsized, the rest cropped and postprocessed. The images are nothing to crow about, and I probably shouldn't have bothered with them, but I wanted to see what the lens could do under such unfavorable conditions and how they looked when posted. This motorized lens focuses quite rapidly, which makes it possible to catch the action.

Name:  IMGP0921.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  82.3 KB

Name:  IMGP0921r2.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  124.5 KB

Name:  IMGP0922r.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  102.2 KB

Name:  IMGP0926r.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  113.3 KB

Last edited by penolta; Apr 29, 2012 at 11:06 AM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 29, 2012, 9:02 PM   #2

Not bad at all! I'm really looking for something weather sealed in the normal focal range and have thought about this lens. It gets such mixed reviews that I'm just not sure what to do. What are your impressions? These pictures look very good considering how difficult the shooting conditions were (well, at least you didn't have to worry about too much dynamic range).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2012, 9:21 PM   #3

I haven't had any more experience with it beyond these and some test shots when it arrived, but I am not dissatisfied yet. I wanted a WR zoom lens for just that type of environment and this was in a range that would prove useful to me (not much to choose from, either). It is also a motorized fast focusing lens, ideal for this type of photography. I was thinking about it for a while because of those mixed reviews you mentioned, but there were enough satisfied users and Ned's announcement of coming third party price increases galvanized me into action, so I decided to take the chance. I got it from Amazon at the lowest price around just a day or two before they upped the ante.

Last edited by penolta; Apr 29, 2012 at 10:00 PM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote