Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 11, 2012, 4:01 PM   #1

Default Week 9 of 52 (more img than normal)

This week I decided that I wasnít quite done with architecture as a topic, so I went up to one of my favorite buildings on Monday. Iíve posted other pictures here in years past, but I never tire of photographing it. The ceiling is hand-painted terra cotta. (taken with the K5, FA31)

A slightly different angle, this is actually a stitched panorama. I had another frame that included the chandelier, but these were hand-held and it didnít like up correctly. The library is tolerant of my infrequent visits and the sound of the shutter (I turn off the focus beep) but figure they would object to a tripod. This is a popular place to study so itís always full of people. (K5, FA77)

Tuesday was a bit difficult as far as photography went. I had a doctorís appointment first thing in the morning, so I didnít want to take my camera bag and haul it around on a city bus. Girls are lucky in this way Ė I can put the K5 and a small lens mounted on it in my purse. I have several lenses that will work this way, but decided to take my favorite lens, the FA77 because I donít really use it all that much. Of course, most of the things that caught my eye all day were either macro (the DA 35 macro had been my second choice) or required a wide angle (the 24 f2.8 and the FA31 were other possibilities). I did manage a couple of shots:

Wherever there is construction, there is usually first destruction:

Thought this was a bit too gritty for posting to my project, so I instead posted this one:

Of these, the first was stepping out of my comfort zone, the second one solidly into my comfort zone. The unfurling fern and the shade of green look so spring-like to me.

Wednesday found me trying to continue a project I had started the day before. The frame/picture on the left is of an architectís model that was done at least 10 years ago and probably older. The frame on the right is a picture I took on Tuesday of the completed, occupied building. It didnít really work right Ė by Wednesday I had forgotten the exact angles I had taken the day before, and the 77 had been too long for what I had in mind. But I posted this to the project anyway Ė if I need to go back to that particular doctor, or another one located in Santa Monica, Iíll try to pay closer attention to things. That supposes also that the model is still around and hasnít been archived somewhere.

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 11, 2012, 4:02 PM   #2

Thursday found me experimenting with light drawing. I should probably post the next pictures in a separate thread because Iím going to end up with more than the 12 links you can include in one post. But I think Iíll leave them there. My original idea was to do something with trailing curtain flash, but one picture showed me that the light source was too dim for that. So I changed to drawing with it.

Hereís my light source (all photos taken with theK5 and DA 35 macro):

I canít tell you how many pictures I took, trying to come up with something that looked good. It was a great exercise, as I got an idea of how shutter speed and the speed I was moving the pen worked with each other - if you are in a really dark room and move it too fast, the light doesnít register on the sensor, and by moving it at different speeds you get different effects.

Hereís one where I moved it, then paused for a moment, moved it again and paused etc.

Moving the pen continuously gives you a totally different effect.

I thought the one above was the effect I was trying for, but that the picture was rather boring. So I added more up and down to get this:

Friday found me with little time, especially after staying up late playing around with the light pen. I wanted something simple and quick, so when I got home I walked across the street to my neighborís beautiful lilac bush.

Saturday was the day of the big super moon. I went out in the evening, about an hour before the reported moon-rise, to find a place where I could get a picture of the moon coming over the horizon, where there would still be some color from the sunset. This spot didnít work, still not high enough to clear the various hills to the east-southeast: (HDR merged in Photomatix, K5, DA 35 macro).

This one is even worse, itís closer to the hills and lower:

So I gave up and went home, figuring it wasnít all that big of a deal. As I was editing the two shots above in Photomatix, a bright light out the window caught my eye Ė the moon had cleared the hills and was in the trees. I decided to get a moon shot, even though it wasnít the one I wanted, so I drove down to the mailboxes where I could get a clear view of it. This picture is OK, but it could have been a bit sharper if I had waited and took it when the moon was more overhead. That way there would have been less atmosphere to go through (something that makes a difference when you are at 6,000 feet elevation). (K5, DA300)

Sunday found me driving a dirt road that had just re-opened for the summer. I love this view, it shows the terrain around this little subdivision. This is the one I posted to the project.

This is actually a crop of one frame of a set I stitched together for a panorama. Iím pretty sure Iíve posted other panoramas or pictures taken in this spot before, if you are interested, you can find the panorama here: http://mtngal.zenfolio.com/p487897818/e1cdeda7c .

Two other shots from my morning walk/drive:

This next one was interesting to me, but perhaps loses something since itís a detail. This is pine sap from a branch that has split in the middle. It didnít break completely, itís just split in the middle of the branch and for several feet along it. The branch is still very much alive, the split doesnít go all the way to the end of it. I thought the whole thing was quite interesting, but was too big to photograph and do it justice.

So that was last week, a combination of experiments, playing it safe and quick shots because I ran out of time for more. That seems to be pretty typical for how my weeks are going now.
Old May 11, 2012, 7:51 PM   #3

I really like the pix of the fern.

The lighting and composition is exquisite...the stem is well centered and splits the picture in half...not a bad thing, just unusual and I haven't seen this effect before.

The effect being that the picture at first glance seems to be a mirror image...then you realize the leaves on either side...aren't quite symmetrical....very striking. Excellent.

I have gone back to this picture a number of times, it has such a strong appeal. It's one of those few that I look at and come away wishing I had taken it.

I like the background...simple, some bokeh...just right and the framing is perfect. If it was mine I would put it in a frame and hang it in my house.

Les

Last edited by lesmore49; May 11, 2012 at 7:57 PM.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2012, 9:18 PM   #4

I am very much enjoying your week by week post. You do great work and I appreciate your commentary. All are great (as usual). Enjoyed the pine sap shot and the architecture shots. I've been trying to decide if I can use the 77mm for more than portrait shots. I find myself going to the 100mm when I'm out and about. So its good to see your 77 shots.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pastorbbc/
Old May 11, 2012, 10:43 PM   #5

Another great week.
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, FA 80-320mm f4.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Old May 12, 2012, 12:36 AM   #6

Forgot to mention that the last 3 photos were taken with the Vivitar 105 macro and the lilacs with the DA 35 macro. Up until this week I didn't indicate what lens I used particularly, but decided that someone might be interested in what I used, since the lens does make a difference with how a picture came out.

Les - That wonderful bokeh on the fern picture was due to the FA 77. The Viv 105 has much harsher/jittery bokeh. If I were shooting this with the Viv I'd be wishing for the DFA 100 WR lens, which has better bokeh, so I was very glad I didn't have it for this picture.

Pastorbbc - I don't use the 77 all that much because I find the focal length a little different than what I normally would want. I usually want something quite a bit wider or quite a bit longer, so in some ways, I have to go out of my way to use it. It's such a wonderful lens and so small and light that it is very hard to leave behind (even if I don't use it all that much), and it is very capable for all sorts of things. Right after I got it and again later on I shot some comparison shots with it and the DA*50-135. The 77 won hands down (though the 50-135 held its own quite well).

I'm finding myself shooting mostly with primes. I'll use a wide angle zoom once in a while, but find myself not using the zoom capability all that much.
Old May 12, 2012, 9:18 AM   #7

Harriet, this is the digital age and you could combine your wonderful moon shot and the second landscape and have the shot of the moon over the hills that didn't work out for you.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2012, 10:12 AM   #8

'Destruction' is brilliant ! That is the one you should have posted. Excellent.

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2012, 5:42 PM   #9

Tom, I had to laugh at that. But there's a couple of Photoshop techniques that I've seen but haven't tried that might work for something like that. I'll have to think about it.

ff - The original picture was pretty bland - the marine layer was in so the light was very flat and the picture didn't quite click. A couple of days later I thought about using Topaz Lab's Adjust to get a grunge look that would be very appropriate. After playing around with several different things, I ended up with this. I still would probably have posted the fern picture as I thought it was exceptionally good, but it would have been a tougher choice as this version of the destruction picture captures the right feeling.
Old May 13, 2012, 7:09 PM   #10

Great stuff Harriet, I also like the fern shot, the destruction is also cool. Thanks for all the info.

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote