Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 18, 2012, 12:49 PM   #1

Default Pentax K-30 Image Leak

http://photorumors.com/2012/05/16/a-...e-pentax-k-30/

Looks... sharp...

Although it appears to be a pretty nice camera, it suffers the same problem for me that the K-01 has, a lack of PC-Sync socket for my ringflash (unless I bought a SaferSync or whatever they are called)

Good to see the inclusion of a front dial as well, hopefully not at the expense of a rear dial.
Tamron Adaptall 2 - 28mm, 28-80mm, 500mm Mirror
Pentax KAF - 18-55mm WR, 28-105mm PowerZoom
Pentax K - 50mm f/2, 50mm f/1.7, 28mm f/2.2
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 22, 2012, 7:14 AM   #2

Official release:

http://www.techradar.com/news/photog...0-dslr-1081344

More of interest to most not looking to upgrade their camera though is:

Quote:
Pentax has also announced a new 50mm f/1.8 K-mount lens. It features the company's Super Protect coating to fend off dust, water and grease.
Old May 22, 2012, 9:43 AM   #3

The K-30 looks like a nice camera... finally a worthy direct updgrade to the venerable K200D. It's missing the top LCD screen of the K200D but in every other way looks like a fantastic camera - a budget K-5, if you will.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2012, 12:33 PM   #4

The K30 is now available for pre-order from Cyberphoto at SEK 7 490, roughly USD 1 050 or EUR 820, with an 18–55 mm WR kit lens included. It can be had in metallic blue, white or black. Adding to the information in tachikomas link, it has a pentaprism viewfinder.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2012, 7:37 PM   #5

I wonder what it doesn't have that the K5 has, to make the K5 more expensive. If I were looking for a camera right now, I think I might have a hard time trying to choose between this new camera and the K5. Also, if I were looking for a second camera I'd most likely buy this one. I wonder if the AF is going to be better than the previous Pentax cameras. Now that would be something interesting (though not enough to tempt me away from my K5).

I'm not interested in the 50 - I hardly ever use mine. I either want something wider or something longer for the most part. I'm delighted that they are introducing it and hope that it will be a big seller for them - I've read a number of people rule Pentax out because they don't offer a low-price 50 over the years.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2012, 11:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biro View Post
The K-30 looks like a nice camera... finally a worthy direct upgrade to the venerable K200D. It's missing the top LCD screen of the K200D but in every other way looks like a fantastic camera - a budget K-5, if you will.
If ever my K200D bites the dust the K30 looks like a suitable replacement. As you said, too bad about the missing LCD screen on the top.

Regards
bluenose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2012, 11:49 PM   #7

You know, I've been looking at it less and less with the K5 - I either use the information in the viewfinder or the LCD now. I used it constantly with the K20 and earlier cameras. I don't think it would bother me any more to do without it.
Old May 24, 2012, 7:01 AM   #8

I guess the question now is "what next?" for a flagship semi-pro Pentax DSLR, the K-30 and K-01 are both basically a K-5 in different casings. There has to be something special announced, and soon, as they are cannibalising sales of their top APS-C DSLR with the last 2 enthusiast cameras.

Are we just going to get a resolution bump? there's not a lot to improve on the excellent low light and noise capabilities of the K-5 sensor.
Old May 24, 2012, 8:37 AM   #9

Hmmm - a "resolution bump" - that could mean a couple of things, come to think of it. Everyone is assuming that Pentax will use Sony's 24 mp sensor so there would be a bump in pixels. But does that sensor have the ability to differentiate fine detail? And will those extra, smaller pixels mean a lowering of dynamic range (the K20, as much as I liked its rendering of color, didn't have the dynamic range of the K100). And while the K10's dynamic range seemed to be very similar to the K100, it came at the price of additional noise (as I recall). I always thought the K5's sensor was rather a "breakthrough" sensor, one that increased the dynamic range, lowered noise and added pixels. I need to be convinced that they can pull that one off again - it seems to me that no matter what they do, the more pixels they stuff into a point and shoot, the poorer the quality gets.

On the other hand, if they are going to come up with a camera that can increase the focus speed some and significantly increase the accuracy a lot, while continuing the 16 mp sensor, I could be real tempted. While the K5 focuses faster than my previous Pentax cameras, I don't think it is as accurate. And since I upgraded to the lastest firmware, I've had to re-do all of my lens fine adjustment and adjust some that hadn't needed it before. I'm still not convinced that I have them all focusing correctly, but I'm getting fewer errors now. That's why I'm so curious about the K30 - they mentioned a new focus module. I'll be really interested to see how much better it is.

I'm not going to say I'm not going to upgrade when the time comes, but it will take an increase in image quality along with a big increase in AF capability to tempt me right off. While I've gotten annoyed over the AF, I think I have things adjusted well enough and am not frustrated so much that I'm likely to buy the next camera right off. I also think they will price it higher than I can afford (everything goes up except my salary) - I'm expecting it to come out at a higher price than the K5 did, and that was a bit of a stretch then.

Oh well, there's always a lens or two I'd like to buy.
Old May 24, 2012, 10:41 AM   #10

Come to think of it, there was a rumour ("from people familiar with the matter") about a 35mm Pentax DSLR before the K-01 was announced, could they just leave the current line-up as it is and have the flagship camera go full frame?

Harriet, you would be one to know, do the Ltd primes work on a 35mm camera or are they APS-C only?