Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 21, 2012, 8:58 PM   #1

Default Week 11 of 52

Not much variety for most of the week, not much time to take pictures either.

Monday found me trying to re-create a shot I did a couple of years ago with multiple exposures. I failed miserably for a number of reasons, some my mistakes and some conditions beyond my control. Even the couple of back-up pictures I took on the way back to my office were dreadful. So I went outside and took this picture in my neighbor's front yard. (K5, DA*300)

Tuesday before lunch I read the post for the bi-weekly challenge. It mentioned Memorial Day, which got me thinking about the day and how it got started. I looked up to find out how it got started and was surprised to find that it was set up to honor the vets and dead of the US Civil War. I decided that I'd check out the VA cemetery's monument, assuming that it was a memorial for WW1. I was very surprised to read the plaque and find out that it goes back to the Spanish-American War. (K5, DA 12-24)

What's ironic about that is that the previous week I had been trying to compose a cute email to someone as a reminder. The only thing that came to mind with the word "remember" in it was the phrase "Remember the Maine." I couldn't remember why I should remember the Maine, what the Maine was or anything else other than the phrase so I didn't use it, but looked it up on the internet. I then asked my hubby if HE knew what the phrase meant, and he came much closer than I did - the Maine was a US navy ship that was sunk in Havana Harbor, and the slogan "Remember the Maine, To Hell with Spain" was used to gain support for the Spanish-American War.

As a back-up I took some flower pictures (had admired these roses as I walked over to the memorial). I ended up posting this one, I liked the bee and the color. (K5, Viv S1 105 macro)

Wednesday evening had lovely evening light. I particularly noticed how the light complimented the pasture and the cattle grazing as we drove up to the mailbox. Then I promptly forgot about getting out and taking the picture. I went down after we got home, but the sun was more or less behind a hill. (K5, DA*200)

I tried anyway, and was partly successful with some processing, but not enough to post to my project. So I took this one when I got home (the house is higher than the pasture) in the moment before the sun completely set. On the one hand, it's a very quick grab-shot, on the other it's well thought out - I knew exactly what I wanted when I saw the light on the fence and that's what I got. (K5, DA*200)

I had a lot I wanted to do Thursday after work, so I wanted to make sure I had a picture before I left work. Nothing at lunch interested me. Then, in the afternoon as I was making some CDs un-readable, I remembered all of the cool shots other people took of them when they were new items (another thing that I never got around to trying). So here's my CD rainbow picture: (K5, DA 35 Macro)

Friday found me really looking at this scene, one that I've looked at almost every day for the past 10 years. But I never really saw the humor before - isn't that one HUGE security camera? (K5, FA 77 Ltd)

I didn't have all that much opportunity to take photos, it was a long day (with lunch with my mother in the middle of it). We did stop not long before the sun went down, just to take a break. This is a 2 frame stitched panorama (would have been 3 but I messed up the third frame). As I stood at this roadside viewpoint, the Who's song kept running through my head (too bad Song Title challenge wasn't still going on). "I can see for miles and miles and miles and miles." (K5, FA 77 Ltd)

A Robert Frost poem also came to mind as we were standing there. It was turned into a round song sung at Girl Scout summer camps for years. "I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep." After taking this picture we sighed, and climbed back into the car, to try to cover those miles before we could sleep.

Sunday found us stopping again for a few moments at a roadside rest stop. This was no place in particular, but I was fascinated with the red rock and the green plants. I don't see green against red very often, they just don't associate themselves in my brain (taken with a circular polarizer, which enhanced the color). (K5, FA 31 Ltd)

We drove through several tunnels, I found them fun to try to photograph (traveling at 65 or 70 mph). (K5, FA 31 Ltd)

Another stop further along the way. I was completely fascinated with the bright green of the new aspen leaves against the pines. The bike was a nice extra. (K5, FA 77 Ltd)

Finally, a glimpse of what we had been driving 2 days to see. (K5, FA 31 Ltd)

As you can imagine, the pictures I'm going to post for the current week will be mostly travel/scenic photos. Unfortunately, I forgot to pack a number of things, including the K7 for Dan. So unfortunately, I won't be able to post his take of things (which is always fun for me, he looks at things differently).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 21, 2012, 10:30 PM   #2

You certainly keep including a broad selection of subject matter, keeps it interesting.
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Old May 21, 2012, 10:54 PM   #3

Don't stop it's nice looking through your lens.

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2012, 6:58 PM   #4

I enjoyed them all. Keep on shooting!

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2012, 8:12 PM   #5

I admire your perseverance with this project. For some reason I find the photograph taken in the tunnel really caught my attention. Given the circumstances you were shooting under I think it turned out very well. I thought at first it might be better to crop out the windshield wipers across the bottom but with them in the image it gives a point of reference that helps in the overall scene. (Hope this makes some kind of critical sense to you.)

Regards
bluenose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2012, 9:23 PM   #6

Another amazing and diverse set - fine reflection of your days and your creativity.

Wonderful textures in the pine cone, great patterns in the fence, but my favorite is the red rock with green life...
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2012, 10:29 PM   #7

bluenose - I thought about cropping out the oof wipers/dash, but decided against it. As you said, I decided that I wanted to leave it in since it added a context to the shot. Maybe that context isn't needed, but it just looked more "real" (as in the context of the "real world" rather than a fantasy/ideal world I often end up showing).

mole - given your profession, it doesn't surprise me you would prefer the green and red photo. A friend of mine that I met up with today and who drives the route I took often, assures me that in a month of two that spot won't have any green left - it'll be the regular red rock without green that I'm used to seeing. Not surprising, our spring is always short-lived too.

I also liked how the tunnel picture came out - the curve really makes it. I took another one with a slower shutter speed but didn't like it was well - the road was straight and there wasn't as much interest. I took another picture of the road that was through the windshield, but it had too much motion blur. It involved a curve and had really cool lines (the lanes going west are elevated above the lanes going east which really made for some interesting pictures), too bad it didn't work.
Old May 24, 2012, 5:15 PM   #8

I love the fence shot! It's great that sometimes it is as simple as that and even better what you captured was exactly what you had in mind.
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2012, 11:32 PM   #9

Absolutely love the fence.
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Old Jun 1, 2012, 10:14 PM   #10

Thanks! It just goes to show - lighting matters. And the right light can make an otherwise ordinary subject something interesting.