Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 24, 2012, 9:36 PM   #1

Default What birds are these?

I left my bird guide at home (among other things). I have no idea what kind of birds some of these are, though I'm sure they are common ones (the two I can identify are very common). So could someone please let me know what they are, it's been bothering me no end. I tried to look them up on-line but don't know enough about birds to get anywhere close. None of the pictures are all that great - it was somewhat difficult shooting conditions and these little birds are quick. The first two pictures are of the two birds I don't recognize.

The second one is puffed up trying to keep warm, I think. Not entirely surprising since it was around 32 F and snowing.

These next two I know (though I admit I had to ask what the black and white bird was - while Magpies are supposed to be in my area, I've never noticed or photographed them before).

I saw this really nice looking grey bird fly by when we stopped at a pull-out. I quickly switched from the FA 31 to the DA 300, hoping the Clark's Nutcracker would stay in the tree. By the time I changed lenses I ran into a problem - the bird didn't stay in the tree, it was at my feet and almost too close to focus on.

He decided I wasn't going to feed him, so he hopped away, all the time keeping an eye on me, hoping for a hand-out, I think.

I found out later that some call them campground robbers and they are very tame in this area.

Let me know what the first two are.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 25, 2012, 8:54 AM   #2

The first one looks like it might be a Gray-headed Dark-eyed Junco. Not too sure about the second one off hand though. I guess technically I'm not completely 'sure' about the first one either since I said 'might be'

Steve
Odinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2012, 10:40 AM   #3

# 3 I would say is a Magpie....member of the crow family.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2012, 11:15 AM   #4

Steve is correct on the Junco, and Les' Magpie is a Black-billed Magpie - we also have Yellow billed Magpies in California. #2 looks like a Hermit Thrush. Great pictures of the Nutcracker - very nice..
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2012, 8:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by penolta View Post
Steve is correct on the Junco, and Les' Magpie is a Black-billed Magpie - we also have Yellow billed Magpies in California. #2 looks like a Hermit Thrush. Great pictures of the Nutcracker - very nice..
Hermit Thrush..saw my first one about 2 weeks ago by our bird feeder. Didn't know what it was...checked in my bird book.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2012, 9:43 PM   #6

Thanks for the information! When I asked about the magpie, they mentioned the yellow billed ones being in California but not in Colorado.

Don't know why I'm surprised the first one is a Junco, it acted much like Juncos we have around the house. I'm just used to seeing Juncos with dark heads, not just dark eyes.

Hermit Thrush? That's a new one for me, I'll have to learn something about them. It was such a small bird, and it was devious enough to stay just out of my sight, around the trunk of the tree. It didn't seem all that interested in leaving, just being shy and staying out of sight. Not like the Clarks Nutcracker who was such a begger. Thought it was interesting that the one I photographed was tagged.

I also noticed that many of the elk we saw had neck tags, too. I thought that was interesting also, guess it makes it easier to track them but just thought it would be unsafe. But what do I know?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2012, 8:20 AM   #7

I'm too late to answer your identification problem but wanted to say the shots are great. That DA 300 is a fantastic lens. The detail is outstanding. You have me fighting my LBA disorder.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote