Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 3, 2012, 9:13 PM   #1

Default My K-5 stopped working .

I've had my K-5 since Nov. 2011.

Up to now it's worked great without a hitch.

Today...I pressed the shutter button and the camera froze. It was turned on, the upper window was on + showed camera info....but the camera didn't function...wouldn't respond to the shutter button...just froze. I couldn't turn it off.

I had taken a number of photos today and was in the process of taking another one...when it stopped working.

After about 10 minutes I decided to take the battery out...as that was the only way I could figure to turn it off.

The camera turned off...after I popped the battery completely out.

I then put the battery into the camera...and voila...the camera...once again worked perfectly.

What could the problem be ?

Will it happen again ?
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 3, 2012, 9:27 PM   #2

I hadn't heard of the K5 doing this, but did hear of other Pentax cameras once in a while, in the distant past. Can't quite remember all of the details or what the cause ended up being.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2012, 9:38 PM   #3

I've heard of this happening from time to time. Popping the battery out seems to solve the problem every time. I guess that DSLRs are complicated computers and, just like your computer at home can occasionally freeze, the same thing happens and a hard reboot is necessary to reset it !

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2012, 7:40 AM   #4

It also happened once on my Kr, months ago with no problems after. And it happen when I put my K2000 into debug mode to adjust the focus when I was trying to get it out of debug after the focus was fixed while trying to enter the correct code. Debug on the K2000 worked wonders. All is good with both now, just a reset but it did panic me for a while. I should be used to this behavior when I rooted my Nook Color and hacked my Canon P&S's (CHDK) it happened quite often till I got things correct.

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2012, 8:03 AM   #5

This occasionally happens with any digital electronic device. One thing I would do, would be to check the state of charge of the battery. If the voltage level drops, even momentarily, the processor can do this type of hang. I would also report it to Pentax - if they receive a sufficient number of complaints, they will look more deeply into the problem, and may be able to release a fix with firmware. (there are ways to make it more fault-tolerant)

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2012, 11:30 AM   #6

Thanks for the suggestions, much appreciated. I've sent it to Pentax to check.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 5:43 PM   #7

I've had this same issue with my K5 a few times; last times it happened was when I had it on live view, and dealing with extreme exposure changes (using stacked nd filters and trying shots of the sun, and using the contrast-detect af). It's the only occasion where I managed freeze it a couple of times Also no problems afterwards.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 6:37 PM   #8

If it happens again I'd make sure you get it looked at under warranty before the 1 year warranty passes....... Shoot almost 28,000 images on my K-5 and not had this issue yet

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2012, 8:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo 5 View Post
If it happens again I'd make sure you get it looked at under warranty before the 1 year warranty passes....... Shoot almost 28,000 images on my K-5 and not had this issue yet

dave
I have done so Dave. It's on it's way to Pentax.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 3:29 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesmore49 View Post
I have done so Dave. It's on it's way to Pentax.
I hope you get it fixed, BUT I doubt that Pentax will be able to find a fault as it was likely a 'one off'; I had this several years ago on a Fuji Finepix & the only solution was to remove batteries on the infrequent occasions that it happened.