Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 3, 2012, 9:23 PM   #1

Default Rocky Mountain High 3 - Playing with Shutter Speeds

It was snowing during my hike to Alberta Falls, so I had no trouble choosing an aperture. Here's the falls with 1/500 sec shutter speed. I think that's fairly ordinary for taking pictures outdoors:

Here's the waterfall using 1/15 sec. That was slow enough to give that smooth look to the waterfall:

Then I decided to try a shot at a really fast shutter speed, to see if it would be more interesting than the ho-hum 1/500 sec. shot. I didn't expect much difference, but was somewhat surprised by this 1/3200 sec. shot:

It was an interesting exercise, and I'm likely to use a super-fast shutter speed again sometime.

Some other pictures that I took during the hike:

The trail, which was bare when I started, began to look a little white after a while:

The aspens collected snow, making for some interesting contrasts:

The stream that the trail more or less followed, below the falls.

On the way back to Estes Park I took the elk pictures through the snow, posted in the weekly summary thread.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 6, 2012, 6:48 PM   #2

Again, you have shared some enchanting photos. I especially like the trees with green leaves, and snow on the branches.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2012, 10:07 PM   #3

I actually took a number of pictures of aspen leaves and snow, but thought more people would be interested in the waterfall pictures since it showed how much difference you can get with the various shutter speeds. While the smooth look is cool, so is the one at 1/3200 in my opinion, showing the spray and froth.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote