Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 9, 2012, 10:01 PM   #1

Default Week 13 of 52

This week was hard for me, partly it was the after-vacation let-down.

Monday was the day we returned home. This is what the car looked like after over 2,000 miles, some snow, some rain, some high winds. I think it needs a bath!

Tuesday found me more or less working through lunch. The traffic was almost grid-locked in the afternoon, so I grabbed this shot as I was waiting for Dan to pick me up. I've actually taken pictures of the ivy growing on this wall before, I find the bright green against the red brick and the way it attaches itself to the wall interesting.

I missed Wednesday entirely - the first day that I haven't taken a picture since I started this project. I didn't even think of it during the day (still trying to get caught up at work) and by the time I did think about it, it was way too late to do anything about it.

Thursday found me anxious not to miss another day. For once I remembered that it was farmer's market day. I tried taking a couple of photos of the beautiful produce (a failure) then tried to take pictures of the crowd (technically fine but not interesting) then I spotted this street musician, who was adding to the pleasant atmosphere of the market. I liked how this came out:

As I was watching, another photographer came up and took some video of the sax player.

Several years ago one of the monthly challenges was about special effects. Someone (don't now remember who it was) posted a very cool picture of a Newton's Cradle using multiple flash. It stuck with me and this technique was on my list of things to do for the project. Friday I spent some time experimenting with a couple of techniques.

Here is one where I used in-camera multiple exposure - 4 shots taken at 1/180 sec and the flash mounted on the hot shoe.

After looking at the first set on the monitor, I realized that I had to do something with the background.

This one was taken with multiple flash bursts. I held the flash in my hand and pushed the test button several times while the shutter was open. I had to take into account both the time that it took for the flash to recycle and to try to get the flash to match where I wanted the balls to be. I'm not sure I was entirely successful.

I also decided to try trailing-curtain sync, even though it wasn't the effect I was particularly interested in. This was the picture I took while experimenting with flash settings. The flash was too hot, but I loved the reflections!

Saturday found me once again shooting through the car window. We spend a huge amount of time in a car (our 8 month old car has almost 40,000 miles on it), so it's not surprising that I want to record some of scenery I see. While many people are enjoying green spring and early summer scenes, our local hills have already transitioned to their usual brown. This picture is quintessential Southern California - brown hills, oil well and vineyards. Not one that you'll find in any tourist book or being a TV backdrop, but one that you'll see all over Southern California away from the urban areas.

This spring was a lousy year for wildflowers, but it's been a very good year for flowering yuccas. I find them interesting, they are so bright and large, they stand out on any hillside.

These yuccas were on a hillside in the national forest and required some careful scrambling to get to them. But I managed to get a little closer for this shot:

I've been struggling since returning from vacation, and I think my pictures show that. But I'm still hanging in there and haven't missed any more days (though a couple weren't at all inspired). Eventually it will all come together again, I just need to keep pushing the shutter.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 10, 2012, 10:27 AM   #2

The yuccas came out very well. Great detail and color.
john339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2012, 6:08 PM   #3

It's always a let-down after vacation (I meet A LOT of vacationers at my work!), but you still managed to capture some fine images. Interesting flash experiments, fine candid portraits, good detail on the Yuccas, and very interesting arid landscape too!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2012, 9:21 PM   #4

Thanks! I was happy with the yuccas from an exposure point of view, also because those two were difficult to get close to. I couldn't find any closer to a trail that wasn't on private property.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 3:17 PM   #5

Perhaps your next series will have some shots inside the car wash! The flash experiments were nice, I particularly like the first one.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2012, 10:42 PM   #6

LOL! Someday I should try to take pictures of a car wash, there's possibilities there. That first one was more a matter of timing - it was actually done using the in-camera multi-exposure feature. This is one of the few ways I've found to really use this function effectively. It really does freeze the motion as each exposure is 1/180 sec.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 7:20 PM   #7

What an interesting variety of photos!. The yuccas are my favorites, followed closely by the street musician. 2000 miles in a week is a lot of driving!
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 9:35 PM   #8

2000 miles is a bit more than we drive normally in a week, but not by all that much. Our 9 month old Prius has 40,000 miles on it now, it'll most likely have over 50,000 miles by the time it's a year old.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 5:08 PM   #9

50,000 mls, that's getting around. Is the Prius a good car to do trips in, room, comfort? I assume economy is a given.

Simon
simowills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2012, 8:05 PM   #10

Enjoyed the shots of the balls and the big yucca. Thirteen down, 39 to go. Keep shooting. This is an interesting photographic odyessy.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote