Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 24, 2012, 12:44 PM   #1

Default Maasi Mara National Reserve Day 1

We spent our last 3 days at the MMNR. It was the highlight of our trip with day 2 beginning with a hot air balloon ride over the Mara. Each day began and ended with a game drive.

The Maasai Mara National Reserve covers 583 sq mi (1,510 km2) in south-western Kenya. It is the northern-most section of the Mara-Serengeti ecosystem, which covers some 9,700 sq mi (25,000 km2) in Tanzania and Kenya.

Our lodging here was quite unique. We slept in tented camps that were anything but roughing it. The tents were set up next to and above the Mara River that held both Nile Crocodiles and large numbers of Hippos. At bedtime the sounds were outrageous but seemed to not be a big deal as we were so exhausted when we went to bed that we slept like the dead. In the AM the sounds would be back combined with a bird and monkey chorus and it became a symphony of animal sounds that was fantastic to hear.

Up until this point in our trip we had perfect weather with sun every day. We now had moved into the short rain season and each day at about 3:00pm we would get high winds and torrential rains that lasted about Ĺ hour. After the rain we would go on a game drive until sundown.

My wife Evelyn in front of our tented camp.

Hippos in the Mara River below our tent.

Nile Crocodile

Sparing Thompson's Gazelles

Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 24, 2012, 12:48 PM   #2

All was not well for the animals in the Mara. This male lion was in the bush recovering from wounds it received from its prey. They are not always the victor.

This zebra was taken down by a female lion with 2 cubs to feed.

Lou

Last edited by Keltech; Jun 24, 2012 at 1:02 PM.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 3:14 PM   #3

Default Wow

Fantastic photos, and looks like you had the ultimate trip. Good! Growing up in the 60's always saw the safari shows and wanted to do what you are doing...good for you...for doing it sharing it with us.
lisalonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2012, 3:51 PM   #4

This must be a trip of a lifetime. thanx for sharing.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 9:14 PM   #5

Amazing photos Lou. Thanks for sharing. I have spent many nights in a tent, but none like you had! I thought I was moving up to "luxury accommodations" when I started using an air mattress.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2012, 12:13 AM   #6

A great set of photos, Lou. I cannot describe my envy for such a trip. My favorite posted shot was the closeup of the lioness that was the first shot of the second group. But, well done on all of them.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2012, 8:20 AM   #7

Thanks Lou they look great even on my hacked Nook color, I look forward to seeing them on a real monitor

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2012, 8:59 AM   #8

Wonderful photos again Lou. What an amazing trip you have had !

Gorgeous tent accommodation too - though the tents don't look like they would keep much out !

My favourites have to be the shots of the hippos - sharp and especially the first one, surprising to see so many of them huddled together. I don't remember seeing so many/so close in the gazillions of Nat Geo etc. films I've watched.

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC

Last edited by Frogfish; Jun 25, 2012 at 9:01 AM.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2012, 8:09 PM   #9

Lou - Thanks so much for continuing to share the "fruits" of your trip. Another wonderful, diverse and carefully photographed series. Hard to pick a favorite, maybe the 2nd hippos, or the gazelles, or the lion face, or...
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2012, 8:49 AM   #10

Lisalonewolf & dane dawg - Thanks it has been a dream of mine since childhood to go to Africa and see the animalís first hand. IT didn't disappoint and was more thrilling than I had imagined.

Mtnman - This was tenting on a whole new level. I must say it was quite enjoyable.

Paul & Hans - Thanks for the nice comments and glad you enjoyed the Mara.

Kevin - The tent would not deter any animal but we were in an area well above the River and the whole compound was fenced in so we felt quite secure. There was a problem when we had a wind/rain storm one afternoon and a number of tree limbs and a tree were brought down. The tree that fell did in fact fall on an occupied tent and fortunately no one was injured but the tent was totaled.

As for the hippos there were 85 counted there later that afternoon.

Mole - Thanks for The kind words and glad you enjoyed the sights.

Lou