Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 2, 2012, 3:02 PM   #1

Default Week 16 of 52

I'm way behind in things, the past two weeks have been very busy with life things, not photography things. Hate it when work and life get in the way of my photography passion.

This was actually 18 – 24 June. I’ll post this past week’s summary in a few days.

Monday found me once again visiting the botanical gardens, one of my favorite places. Instead of taking pictures of flowers, I continued my water theme from the previous week, and took pictures primarily of the red-eared sliders that are live there. They are all abandoned pets, and there are volunteers that feed and take care of them. They are very popular with those who visit the gardens, and I always have fun photographing them. I’ve gone back to using the Slingshot 200 bag, since the shoulder I had been carrying the lowepro shoulder bag is starting to bother me. That means the DA*300 stays home more and the A*300 – smaller and lighter – is in the bag.

Turtle Reflections (K5, A*300)

Tuesday found me out of sorts and trying to find a picture at home. The only good thing I can say about this one is that I didn’t struggle much with the flash. It only took a couple of shots to dial it in right. (K5, FA31, 540 flash wireless on the side).

Wednesday found me groping for another shot at lunch, decided I didn’t want to try to come up with something around the house. I had once taken a picture of this “roll of film” once before, from across the street with only the sky as a background. I couldn’t re-take the same picture because the trees have grown too tall. So this was about the only spot where I could get most of the shop decoration in view. I’m not that unhappy with the shot, I like how I processed it (or is it too over-the-top?). I think the spikes on the building are more effective than the statue of the owl as a bird-deterrent. (K5, DA*200)

I was just starting to look around my office Thursday afternoon for something to take when a co-worker asked me if I had any pictures of a small, pretty unimportant building. I didn’t, so I volunteered to walk up and take a few shots. This is actually made up of 2 different shots, taken from the same place. The first one had the pink Porsche in it but also had a person getting into the trunk of the car behind it. I waited ages for that person to go away so I could get the shot without that distraction. While he was futzing around, the pink Porsche drove off. Once he finally got into the car, I took another picture. The one without the person or the pink Porsche was the one my friend used (more appropriate for business use) but I wanted the pink Porsche in the shot I wanted to keep, so I used Photoshop’s stacking script to take the two frames into one file and align them. Then I used a layer mask to add the Porsche to the frame without it. Liked how this came out, even if the building is still a simple, small, uninteresting building (unlike the one behind it). (K5, FA31)

Since I got a good walk in Thursday afternoon, I decided to take a picture of something around my office on Friday. I liked how this one came out:

Paper, Paper and More Paper – Drowning in paper, Going Down For the Count (K5, FA77)

Saturday dawn found us driving to see family out of town. It always amazes me how quickly the light changes. As we came close to a town along the way, the first reddish orange light hit the bare hills and windmills. It was really pretty, but still rather dark to be shooting through the windshield at 65 mph. We reached the town in 5 minutes and stopped. By this time the light was yellow and strong, not the pastel colors that had first caught my eye. But I thought this was beautiful also, and gives one a good idea of how bare the hills are in this desert. (K5, FA77)

The person we were staying with was cat-sitting. It was really frustrating trying to get a picture of this orange cat – any time I tried to get down low, he would stalk up to get petted. This was about the best of the shots. He’s a very sweet, friendly fellow. I spent a bit of time Sunday, before we left to drive home, trying to get a picture of him. Both pictures were taken with the K5 and FA77.

I liked this picture, though the lighting is horrible. I just like the detail and sharpness of his eye.

A long drive home to end the week, didn’t even try to take any pictures. It wasn’t my most inspired weeks, but thought I managed a few pictures that were worth-while. The person I took the building picture for was happy with the one without the pink Porsche, which was satisfying.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 2, 2012, 7:56 PM   #2

Love the turtle (Red Eared Sliders) photo...the reflection in the water...the slight haze...very nice.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2012, 8:37 PM   #3

Your weekly postings are wonderful. A wide variety of shots along with your narrative makes for an interesting viewing and read.

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2012, 10:57 PM   #4

Thanks! The turtle picture is my favorite of the week, followed by Orange Cat. I did some selective processing to darken the reflection a bit, it wasn't quite as pronounced as it is in the final version.

I'm beginning to wonder if trying for variety is a good or a bad thing - it keeps things interesting and fresh, but means that I have a large number of "also-rans" - I've taken few really good shots recently. The turtles I've photographed before and knew basically what I wanted. The cat wasn't cooperative much, but I came close to what I wanted with the sunlit one (framing isn't the best, I cut him off awkwardly).

In some ways the one I think was most successful was the paper rolls - I've taken numerous pictures of my steadily growing stack of drawings and found them all boring. There were two that I thought were actually interesting for a change, an accomplishment. Not sure anyone else would feel that way or understand why I feel this way, just looking at the picture.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 4:19 PM   #5

Great job on the turtles. Fascinating details (and good result) of the PP on the building/pink car. Very interesting patterns in the paper rolls. And wonderful light on the first cat! Thanks for sharing.

Also thanks for sharing your musings on the overall effort. Seems to me that it's worth having plenty of "also-rans" in order to get a few excellent ones, and to gain the new perspectives/skills. (says me who usually pursues the same kinds of subjects...)
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2012, 5:00 PM   #6

Hi Harriet,

Thanks again for your effort, I liked the paper rolls best, shapes and textures, can't go past 'em, then the "sliders", but all lovely shots.

Simon
simowills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2012, 10:13 PM   #7

Thanks, mole and Simon.

I'm trying to decide if it's better to struggle to master something I really don't have much feel for, or to concentrate on what I do best (and that I enjoy). There's points on both sides - mastering a new facet will always help add an extra dimension to my photography in general. On the other hand, I get frustrated so easily, it's easy for me to give up.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 7:55 PM   #8

The diversity of what you photograph each week is admirable. Nature, landscapes. Architecture, still lives and some cool special effects. This week you have presented another nice variety of shots but being a nature fan the turtles are my favorites and extremely well done I might add.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2012, 9:28 PM   #9

Thanks, Lou. Not much for special effects for this week though. I did try some more unusual angles (the paper) and that made a big difference.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 10:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
Thanks! The turtle picture is my favorite of the week, followed by Orange Cat. I did some selective processing to darken the reflection a bit, it wasn't quite as pronounced as it is in the final version.

I'm beginning to wonder if trying for variety is a good or a bad thing - it keeps things interesting and fresh, but means that I have a large number of "also-rans" - I've taken few really good shots recently. The turtles I've photographed before and knew basically what I wanted. The cat wasn't cooperative much, but I came close to what I wanted with the sunlit one (framing isn't the best, I cut him off awkwardly).

I usually take photos of wildlife, landscapes and vintage vehicles. But, like you I've been branching out and trying different subjects and different ideas in photography.

As of late I've been experimenting with and trying to improve my 'bokeh'. I've been taking photos of outdoors sculptures...using my 50 F 1.4 and 70 Limited F 2.4 .

I work with sculptures as I can only press my family so much to use as models.

I am enjoying developing my bokeh skills. Applying bokeh to wildlife and vintage vehicles has given me some new direction in these for me, traditional subjects.

To me variety is a good thing....more opportunities, different subjects and ideas and I think learning new things and applying to my usual stuff I photograph....refreshes and recharges me...photographically.

In some ways the one I think was most successful was the paper rolls - I've taken numerous pictures of my steadily growing stack of drawings and found them all boring. There were two that I thought were actually interesting for a change, an accomplishment. Not sure anyone else would feel that way or understand why I feel this way, just looking at the picture.
The paper rolls...after the turtles...was my second choice. I liked the idea...you may want to experiment with more contrast and of course...bokeh.

Les
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote