Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 4, 2012, 5:25 PM   #1

Default "Pretty Polly" and friends

Well, I'm not sure if her name is really "Polly," but she sure is a pretty "polly-nator!" Was out working on a park trail, and paused to admire the abundant Butterfly Weed (a species of Milkweed). Noticed some movement out of the corner of my eye, and assumed it was some common species of butterfly - butterfly weed is well-named, it's a favorite nectar source for many butterfly species.
Attached Images

mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 4, 2012, 5:27 PM   #2

My presence scared "Polly" away, but it took only a five-minute wait for her to come back. Sure is a funny-looking "butterfly," isn't it!
Attached Images

Old Jul 4, 2012, 5:29 PM   #3

I had no idea that Hummingbirds enjoy butterfly weed nectar! I also got a LOT of very bad photos - most were too blurry or too full of blown-out highlights. Here's one more view of this pretty little pollinator.
Attached Images

Old Jul 4, 2012, 5:33 PM   #4

While waiting for the return of the hummingbird, I noticed that this little corner of the park has become a great birding spot (will have to take some park visitors there soon). Like much of the region, we've had some very hot dry weather lately, which may explain why this shady, cool, damp location is so attractive to the small birds. Here's a Field Sparrow (a common bird of the old-field habitats) and a Mourning Dove (named for its mournful call), each perched on a cable-gate, and also the dove's friend on the ground below...
Attached Images

Old Jul 4, 2012, 5:34 PM   #5

A Mockingbird was also perched on the same cable, but took off too quickly for this slow photographer...
Attached Images

Old Jul 4, 2012, 5:35 PM   #6

It became pretty clear why the Mockingbird (and all the Doves) were fleeing. It was not the noisy photographer, but a much more dangerous character (I believe it's a Sharp Shinned Hawk, but Penolta will probably correct me!)
Attached Images

Old Jul 4, 2012, 5:39 PM   #7

Hope you enjoyed this brief glimpse into "bird country" here at the home park (all taken with Tokina 400mm). Will end with these views of some "apple thieves" in our backyard - we knew that the Bluejays had fledged, and that the young'uns were enjoying our unripe apples. Did not know that the Titmice were also working the trees. To be honest, we did not see the titmice actually eating apples - maybe they were just eating some of the insect pests!

Thanks for taking the time to look at our feathered friends, and for sharing your comments & critique!
Attached Images

Old Jul 4, 2012, 11:06 PM   #8

A wonderful series, I love the hummingbird pictures!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2012, 11:10 PM   #9

Tell me about a lot of blurred shots to get humming birds. Your keepers are outstanding.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2012, 6:20 AM   #10

Great hummer shots. I love the black background you got; it makes the birds pop off the page. Nice work!

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote