Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 5, 2012, 11:36 PM   #1

Default Pentax DSLR # 1 in JD Power Survey

Great to read and confirms what I've thought.

http://www.jdpower.com/content/press...yer-report.htm

Now if Pentax - Ricoh would only advertise more and let the consumer know that the Pentax DSLR is top notch...as we Pentaxians know..

Last edited by lesmore49; Jul 5, 2012 at 11:38 PM.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 6, 2012, 11:01 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesmore49 View Post
Great to read and confirms what I've thought.

Now if Pentax - Ricoh would only advertise more and let the consumer know that the Pentax DSLR is top notch...as we Pentaxians know..
That brand by brand chart must be biased towards entry level/prosumer cameras - according to this other rating study, upscale Canikons still rule.:

http://www.jdpower.com/content/press...uyer-study.htm

While we know that the K-5 by itself would hold its own, they did only series in this study. On this model by model series chart, the Pentax K series ranks below the industry average.

Last edited by penolta; Jul 6, 2012 at 11:14 AM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2012, 11:27 AM   #3
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by penolta View Post
That brand by brand chart must be biased towards entry level/prosumer cameras - according to this other rating study, upscale Canikons still rule.:

http://www.jdpower.com/content/press...uyer-study.htm
They're both for dSLR models. But, that report came out in July of last year. ;-)

The new report is the one lesmore49 posted a link to. This one:

In any event, they're all very close to each other in the latest report, with only a 3% spread between the scores for Pentax (which rated the highest) and Olympus (next to the lowest).

Only Panasonic came in much lower than the rest (where Pentax scored around 12% higher).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2012, 11:38 AM   #4

Penolta - your chart represents 2011 results, lesmore49s chart is 2012 results. So, it's different data.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2012, 12:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Penolta - your chart represents 2011 results, lesmore49s chart is 2012 results. So, it's different data.
Yes the data are different - While Pentax has only the K series DSLRs, the 2011 list does not consider all Canon and Nikon DSLR models, but the 2012 list apparently does. Apples and oranges - the lists are not comparable.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 1:00 PM   #6
Administrator

Yep. The Old List distinguished between different groups of dSLR models, whereas the new list bundles all dSLR models from a single manufacturer into one category from each.

So, yea... you could expect a "Pro Series" Canon or Nikon model to rank a bit higher than an entry level dSLR model from the same manufacturers, as they graded them in last year's report.

But, overall (and any of them will have models that are worse or better than others within their lineup), the customer satisfaction between brands is fairly close (especially since you're likely to have a smaller number of sample users from manufacturers other than Nikon and Canon, which have a much larger market share; and with just over 9000 users total surveyed, the margin for statistical error may be fairly high with buyers from smaller manufacturers).

IOW, overall, there is probably very little difference in them anymore as far as customer satisfaction is concerned when looking at the manufacturers' dSLR lineups as a whole versus specific market niches.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 1:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Yep. The Old List distinguished between different groups of dSLR models, whereas the new list bundles all dSLR models from a single manufacturer into one category from each.

So, yea... you could expect a "Pro Series" Canon or Nikon model to rank a bit higher than an entry level dSLR model from the same manufacturers, as they graded them in last years report.

But, overall (and any of them will have models that are worse or better than others within their lineup), the customer satisfaction between brands is fairly close (especially since you're likely to have a smaller number of sample users from manufacturers other than Nikon and Canon, which have a much larger market share; and with just over 9000 users total surveyed, the margin for statistical error may be fairly high with buyers from smaller manufacturers).

IOW, overall, there is probably very little difference in them anymore as far as customer satisfaction is concerned when looking at the manufactuers' dSLR lineups as a whole versus specific market niches.
Good points Jim. I agree there is very little difference between manufacturers.

I think marketing plays a big part in number sold. Also, two brands...Canon and Nikon...have a vast array of accessories for their bodies...much more than the others...also they have equipment that caters...purely to the professional market.

I have both Pentax and Canon equipment. My Canon equipment isn't in their DSLR range...but it's a very fine camera... a G 12....with a Canon 430 EX 11 flash.

For a daily carry, small camera combination, it's a wonderful unit. It will pretty well do all and more, that I ask from it. All this in a small bag.

I find having two modern systems...Pentax and Canon...really reinforces just how good current digital camera equipment is from these two companies.

I'm sure the same could be said for others...I just can't say it ...as I only have Canon and Pentax experience in modern digital equipment.

I do have a 2004 Panasonic Lumix....but it's old and I consider fairly obsolete in 2012.

As a long time photographer (close to 45 years)...I count my blessings that I live during this period...which to me... is a golden age of photography.

All this fine photographic technology available...and I don't have all the assorted film costs.

Les
Old Jul 6, 2012, 1:50 PM   #8

Quote:
I find having two modern systems...Pentax and Canon...really reinforces just how good current digital camera equipment is from these two companies.

I'm sure the same could be said for others...
Yes, very true. I have both Pentax and Sony DSLRs, but only because I had a stable of older Pentax and Minolta Maxxum lenses. I find both systems excellent, the biggest difference for me is the Pentax lack of a fold-out viewscreen - since my interests lean heavily towards close-up and macro photography and photomicrography I find I use the Sonys more because of the convenience of this feature. Pentax has got to get on the ball with this - it is a major functional improvement. Without an EVF, the K-01 especially suffers from this lack.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 3:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by penolta View Post
Yes, very true. I have both Pentax and Sony DSLRs, but only because I had a stable of older Pentax and Minolta Maxxum lenses. I find both systems excellent, the biggest difference for me is the Pentax lack of a fold-out viewscreen - since my interests lean heavily towards close-up and macro photography and photomicrography I find I use the Sonys more because of the convenience of this feature. Pentax has got to get on the ball with this - it is a major functional improvement. Without an EVF, the K-01 especially suffers from this lack.
I have an articulated, fold out live view monitor on my Canon G 12 and I agree with you wholeheartedly on the value of this feature.

I find it has 'upped' my creativity considerably...with the range of angles...which can give a very different perspective on the end photograph.

My Pentax K-5 has a live view monitor, but it is fixed to the camera body.

An articulated live view screen is something that Pentax...as you say has to get.

As an aside, I find that many of the current Pentax lenses more than hold their own....quality wise. My Pentax 10-17 fisheye, 70mm Limited and 12-24 I would say are all excellent.

Considering the past history of Pentax (film days), when the firm had a wide range of lenses...certainly competitive with Nikon and Canon back in those days...I'm hoping to see Pentax return to these days.

More lenses, particularly zoom and prime telephotos and more fast lenses.

In checking with the Pentax-Ricoh road map for lenses...the future is looking very good for this
old and venerable camera company.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 2:29 PM   #10
Administrator

FYI:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/news/...on_report.html

lesmore49, thanks for the heads up.