Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 19, 2012, 1:01 AM   #1

Default Week 18 of 52

Week 18 of 52, I think. I'm over a week behind at this point, for some reason had a hard time getting the ooomph to write this particular week up.

On Monday I checked out the sign on the side of the building (see week 17 for the picture of the blank wall), to see what it was going to be. I took only the camera and the A*300, which ended up being too long to get the whole poster. This was a 2 frame stitched panorama.

You can see how big that poster really is.

Right before lunch on Tuesday I read what the new bi-weekly challenge was Ė the subject was circles. So I went looking for circles, posting several threads over the two weeks that feature some sort of circle. You can find them: http://forums.steves-digicams.com/bi...p-circles.html for circles (well, rolls of paper) making up a circle, and for some pipes, valves etc. hereís another thread: http://forums.steves-digicams.com/bi...es-valves.html .

But thatís not what I posted for Tuesday, since it was also our wedding anniversary. My wonderful, romantic husband sent me a dozen red roses, and I took the opportunity to photograph them. I (as usual) got completely frustrated with the flash, so I took one that was more or less the right exposure and used the lighting effects in CS6 to get what I wanted. I thought this one came out nicely:

We didnít go anywhere for 4th of July, and fireworks are strictly forbidden in our area, even the ďsafe-sane, legalĒ ones. So I took more pictures of the flowers and greenery.

The rose petals almost make a circle, still thinking of the bi-weekly challenge.

Thursday I once again remembered the Farmers Market at lunch (I usually don't). This day there was a band playing, and they were having way too much fun. They were pretty good, too, and it was lots of fun to listen to them.

And still thinking of circles:

And still trying for street scenes:

Friday I spotted a sign that struck me as funny. Itís located on a modern building and the sign is actually located in an alley. I posted it under the bi-weekly challenge here: http://forums.steves-digicams.com/bi...larm-bell.html .

Saturday found us trying a quick weekend getaway. I had visions of walking on a beach and basking in the sun. We got to Santa Barbara and the marine layer was in Ė it was colder at noon there than it had been at 8 AM at 6,000 feet elevation, no sun in sight. So we quickly left the coast without taking any pictures and headed inland a bit, to our destination, Solvang. It was sunny there though I donít find it all that photogenic a town. I did like the shadows on this windmill:

Another view:

We spent the night, then decided to head home in the morning since the marine layer had reached all the way to Solvang. On the way we stopped at Lake Cachuma, just at the edge of the overcast/clouds. There were some quail in the parking area, I actually managed an OK picture, though it was with the DA*200 (the 300 was buried too deep and the quail moved too fast for me). You can see the picture here: http://mtngal.zenfolio.com/p487897818/e3d1d739d . At first glance they look like uninteresting, grey birds, but they are really pretty and interesting if you look closer.

A scrub jay was far bolder, leaving when it decided I didnít have any food, not because I was there.

The lake itself had mist rising off of it, to mingle with the fog/edge of the marine layer. It was cool.

While our getaway weekend did not work out at all the way we wanted, it was a nice change from our normal routine. I had lots of fun looking around for circles, but thought that otherwise it was a pretty uneventful week as far as photography went. Not a bad week or a frustrating week, just uneventful.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 19, 2012, 2:03 AM   #2

Love the color and contrast in the photo of the band at the Farmers Market!
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2012, 2:15 PM   #3

The street scene is terrific - reminiscent of Bourbon Street in New Orleans. Nice composition with the apples. You can almost feel and smell the atmosphere in the last one -- very nice.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2012, 6:45 PM   #4

You are back. Very nice series. Love the roses.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:25 PM   #5

Glad to know the band photo is a hit - it's not exactly your normal L.A. street scene. I really don't have much of a feel for street photography, even though I've been sort-of working at it off and on. The band was one of those very easy ones, I listened and watched them for a bit and only took this one picture (didn't have any money with me, otherwise I would have taken more pictures and tipped them accordingly). And they haven't been back.

The fruit came out better than I was expecting, it was very grey (good for the band photo) with a lot of dynamic range, and the fruit was under an awning. Plums are so dark I didn't know if the shot would work but it did. What actually caught my eye was the light spots/arcs on the shiny plums - it was an interesting contrast/pattern.

Paul - While roses are always fun to photograph, these were deep red and, as usual with digital cameras, the exposure and color was hard to get right. The camera wanted to overexpose.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 4:40 AM   #6

I've looked through this once and intended to comment today - but they are not loading for me so I'll try again later

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2012, 5:25 AM   #7

I can see them now.

A good week for you Harriet ! I particularly like the street shots (in.c the band), the first windmill and the misty lake.

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2012, 10:41 AM   #8

Zenfolio was doing maintenance (our) last night, you probably looked while they were working. It gets difficult for them to do maintenance when no one will want to access them, due to the international nature of bulletin boards. Interesting that you mentioned the first windmill picture, I haven't gotten much response about it and thought the interesting shadow wasn't enough to carry the picture.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 1:52 PM   #9

I also like the farmer's market shots. The windmill at Solvang takes me back a lot of years. We went there when my son was 3 years old. He just turned 50 in January.

The last shot of the fog was great but needs it's a horizon straightened.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2012, 1:30 AM   #10

Glad I could bring you some memories of the past, I hope they were pleasant ones. Solvang has really changed since the first time we were there, about 20 years ago. It's grown and is very successful. The town itself is pretty touristy, but I did find someone there that restores antique clocks - I'm hoping he can fix a banjo clock that had been my father's. More on that when I get around to typing up last week.

I thought I had straightened to the vertical lines (not the telephone pole which often aren't straight, rather the building) but apparently not. It is crooked. I don't usually use a lakeshore, in case I'm at an angle to it so that it wouldn't be a reliable horizon line. Bue here, when I did a better job of straightening the building, the distant lakeshore does become level.