Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 13, 2012, 3:07 AM   #11

I saw some older Pentax lenses in the window of a 2nd hand shop in Edinburgh , wish i knew what might be a useable bargain amongst these things . I'll maybe go in and have a closer look next time
Old Aug 13, 2012, 5:18 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole View Post
Some great results with these old lenses - good tools in great hands!

I too have difficulty with accurate focusing on some manual lenses - especially those (like your Tak 50) with wide F-stop...
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
The larger the aperture, the smaller the dof. Wide angles are usually pretty simple to focus as the dof is bigger and if you are close, it doesn't usually matter. When I was mostly shooting manual focus lenses I did fine, but recently I've been noticing I make more errors. I've often wondered if my K5 is really accurately calibrated as far as focus, or if I have the dioper adjusted correctly since I have noticed my eyes seem to have changed enough to get headaches from my glasses now. It's getting time for me to visit the optometrist again.
Ah, that might explain it!! I do like them both, and I got a few other lenses to try out as well, but that has to be another day, today we are having a birtday party for my kid
perfect oppurtunity to try out the 50mm 1.4 again
SMC Takumar 50mm/f1.4 (manual)
"unknown" 35mm/f1.8 (manual)
CyberTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2012, 9:03 AM   #13

nice work for first tries with these lenses.

As others have mentioned the fast older (especially 50mm in my experience) lenses tend to have a very narrow DOF. This effect is increased when you mount the lens on a modern digital camera with a less than 35mm sensor size, the result being razor thing DOF when wide open. This can be used to your advantage to frame something coming out of the bokeh-mist as you did with the leaf in the second shot. Other times it becomes a struggle to get the subject all in the narrow plane of focus, face portraits for instance can end up with the eyes in focus but the nose and ears out of focus.

A good technique to try when not trying to achieve the isolation via bokeh effect is to focus wide open and then stop down to f5.6-f8 and shoot. I find with some of my manual focus lenses this works well as I get the main thing in focus using the max light from the wide open aperture and then I stop down and get a shot that has more DOF
Old Aug 13, 2012, 2:46 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcewan View Post
nice work for first tries with these lenses.

As others have mentioned the fast older (especially 50mm in my experience) lenses tend to have a very narrow DOF. This effect is increased when you mount the lens on a modern digital camera with a less than 35mm sensor size, the result being razor thing DOF when wide open. This can be used to your advantage to frame something coming out of the bokeh-mist as you did with the leaf in the second shot. Other times it becomes a struggle to get the subject all in the narrow plane of focus, face portraits for instance can end up with the eyes in focus but the nose and ears out of focus.

A good technique to try when not trying to achieve the isolation via bokeh effect is to focus wide open and then stop down to f5.6-f8 and shoot. I find with some of my manual focus lenses this works well as I get the main thing in focus using the max light from the wide open aperture and then I stop down and get a shot that has more DOF
thanks, i will try your technique and see if I can improve even more!
SMC Takumar 50mm/f1.4 (manual)
"unknown" 35mm/f1.8 (manual)
CyberTron is offline   Reply With Quote